6 month vararam Air Grabber review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I live in buffalo ny. Weve gotten plenty of snow here. Not a drop in my intake...

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

electricyeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine just came in from Moe's. But all that driving snow is what I was worried about. It will only be on spring to fall. Put in aem dry for rest of the time. Was hoping to leave stock air box in and just switch back and forth.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I live where we got lots of snow. There's a thread, on the other Ram forum, about this air intake and snow. It scared me away. Just a heads up.

Thanks for posting that, I was thinking about one of these down the road and after seeing those pictures, hell no.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I live where we got lots of snow. There's a thread, on the other Ram forum, about this air intake and snow. It scared me away. Just a heads up.

i can attest to this. i wish i had taken pictures of it. mine wasnt as bad but seeing snow/ice built up on your air filter is not a good feeling. i also saw no fuel mileage increase and no real difference in performance as far as day to day driving goes. it just looked cool.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have yet to have any snow built up in the air filter at all and it's been through two blizzards this winter. Guess I lucked out. Mileage didn't gain or lose at all but with my bolts on @ WOT with no brakes I burnout like it was nothing vs having to hold the brakes earlier without the Vararam to get the same effect. So yes there is a performance advantage but you need other components to complement the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Looks cool in the end I have never been able to justify the cost of one in my mind. I once had the K&N setup but since I had the stainless one I found it to be too loud and it was not worth the money with the metal one. The plastic version I would consider.

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wanted to go with that intake but was afraid of the Vegas heat with that combo so I went with the S & Bba7f1cce19dbf372ec6668169c300a1b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love it so far and like the dual air vents

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
What a few of these posters have forgotten to include, is that our newer trucks have active shutters. Ive driven in a blizzard at 50 mph and zero snow in the intake. Im sure that vararam as a company has in fact done their homework before offering this intake. If it was an issue, im quite sure that they would have issued a statement or warning of use in snowy areas.

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I have yet to have any snow built up in the air filter at all and it's been through two blizzards this winter. Guess I lucked out. Mileage didn't gain or lose at all but with my bolts on @ WOT with no brakes I burnout like it was nothing vs having to hold the brakes earlier without the Vararam to get the same effect. So yes there is a performance advantage but you need other components to complement the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can be rolling at 5-10 mph and when i mash the loud pedal, those back tires roar!! Fun as all hell aint it?

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im thinkin that the op's truck was breakin in and thats why he got the big mpg gain...

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Could be...i did install it when it was brand new. Good point.

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
But then again, it was only 1.5-2 mpg.

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What a few of these posters have forgotten to include, is that our newer trucks have active shutters. Ive driven in a blizzard at 50 mph and zero snow in the intake. Im sure that vararam as a company has in fact done their homework before offering this intake. If it was an issue, im quite sure that they would have issued a statement or warning of use in snowy areas.

no you are wrong active is just recent trucks not form the OG of this gen

the intakes was developed long before active shutters and I will bet zero development has happened since it was introduced

CA intakes are useless unless you have a programmer

the dyno does not lie seat of the pants is often times influenced by money spent

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
no you are wrong active is just recent trucks not form the OG of this gen

the intakes was developed long before active shutters and I will bet zero development has happened since it was introduced

CA intakes are useless unless you have a programmer

the dyno does not lie seat of the pants is often times influenced by money spent
:YAWN: If you say so

ZroCool

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the Vararam work with any of the Supercharger Kits for the 4th Gens?

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Im not sure. It would depend on where the throttle body is located at for one, and I'd be willing to bet youd either need to trim the height of the vararam, or get a different hood...due to the height of the supercharger etc. Maybe hemi450 could be of more assistance?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will not work out of the box since the throttle body is not at the same place. You might be able to make it work with a centrifugal supercharger like the procharger.

Now from what I understand, CAI are kind of useless with a supercharger since the air gets hotter when compressed and then goes in the intercooler to be cool back down before entering the engine

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When l had a Pro Charger put on the Mustang, the Air Raid that l had on, was totally removed.

I used to buy a "Mopar" type magazine at walmart, from time to time. Haven't for a while. But they did an article on the 5.7 Challenger with 5 different after market CAIs. The Air Raid came out on top. However, they did not test the one from Moe's. So there's no telling where it would have ranked.

Seems like ive read about a lot of heat saok with Moe's design. But i dont have any first hand knowledge.

If you like the one from Moe's, but are afraid of the snow, how hard is it to put on in the spring, and take off in the fall?