60K maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
I’m coming up on 60K and the dealer has the following “package” for $600:

Diesel Engine Oil & Filter Service (up to 6qts), Install Diesel Oil Conditioner, Complete Multi-point Inspection, Perform Diesel Fuel Injector Cleaning Service, Install pH Stabilizer & Corrosion inhibiter for Cooling System, Perform Tire Rotation, Perform Diesel Engine Performance Restoration Service, Install Diesel Fuel Lubricity & Corrosion Inhibitor, Inspect Fluids & Top off Washer Fluid, Complete Visual Brake Inspection, Visually Inspect Cabin Air Filter Element, Replace Engine Air Filter Element

It seems to me that everything except the oil change is snake oil. All I need is an oil change and a fuel filter change.

Thoughts?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just do the oil and fuel filters if it is time to change them (every 15k miles per the manual) Check the air filter and replace if needed, all the other stuff is dealer "fluff" to make a profit.

This is a good one.... "Perform Diesel Engine Performance Restoration Service" What the h3ll is that Lol. Ask them to show you in the manual where that is required and what exactly it is...

hognuts1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I6
I agree everything else is fluff unless you have the Asian transmission that needs to be serviced every 30,000 miles

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
I agree everything else is fluff unless you have the Asian transmission that needs to be serviced every 30,000 miles

I have the Cummins. Which I assume is the Asin transmission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Just do the oil and fuel filters if it is time to change them (every 15k miles per the manual) Check the air filter and replace if needed, all the other stuff is dealer "fluff" to make a profit.

This is a good one.... "Perform Diesel Engine Performance Restoration Service" What the h3ll is that Lol. Ask them to show you in the manual where that is required and what exactly it is...

Maybe ensure the chemical factory known as the exhaust aftertreatment systems are per hoyle? The DPF has regenerated itself, etc.?

OP
OP
C

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
AFAIK that diesel performance restoration service is a can of some snake oil they pour in there.

How do I find out which transmission I have? Unfortunately the door sticker when when the door was trashed in a wreck. :(

hognuts1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I6
AFAIK that diesel performance restoration service is a can of some snake oil they pour in there.

How do I find out which transmission I have? Unfortunately the door sticker when when the door was trashed in a wreck. :(
What year? The HO Cummins comes with the Aisin. SO Cummins comes with 68RFE.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

68RFE has the dip stick on the right side of the engine, Aisin on the left (this is the trucks left/right, not your L/R looking at it)

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It seems to me that everything except the oil change is snake oil. All I need is an oil change and a fuel filter change.

I think you're on the right track. I may be a bit of a different bird in that I have a Lifetime Warranty so all I really care about is keeping that warranty intact. I regularly ask for my dealer to show me where in the manual a, "corrosion inhibitor" or "fuel system conditioner" is specified. :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Diesel Engine Oil & Filter Service (up to 6qts), Install Diesel Oil Conditioner, Complete Multi-point Inspection, Perform Diesel Fuel Injector Cleaning Service, Install pH Stabilizer & Corrosion inhibiter for Cooling System, Perform Tire Rotation, Perform Diesel Engine Performance Restoration Service, Install Diesel Fuel Lubricity & Corrosion Inhibitor, Inspect Fluids & Top off Washer Fluid, Complete Visual Brake Inspection, Visually Inspect Cabin Air Filter Element, Replace Engine Air Filter Element

Thoughts?

this is a bad joke for real. it should be a crime to offer something like this as a dealer, shame.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
up to 6 quarts? is any cummins 6 quarts?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

you have a 3500 or higher?

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
OP, its all junk. At 60K miles you need an oil change and fuel filter change (every 15K miles). At 67,500 I think you need a CCV filter change, but that is rather easy to DIY if you watch a video. OTher than that, fill the fuel and DEF and drive that truck

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Thoughts?

6 quarts of oil...how much is each quart after that $30/quart...do the maintenance yourself, tire rotation if you don’t want to do them yourself, if you are a Costco member, they will rotate, balance all 4 non Costco bought tires for $20 total