6inch lift and 8inch lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerhour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 and 2019 Classic
Engine
5.9 CTD and 5.7 Hemi
Hey I got a 07 3500 megacab diesel 4x4, and I would like to know what a 6" and a 8" suspension lift would run a guy :) thanks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 2500
Engine
CTD
The taller kits for these trucks get expensive fast. The Ram 2500/3500 4x4 might use a solid axle but it takes a pretty long list of components to lift these trucks 8" inches and retain what I would consider to be tolerable ride and handling characteristics.

The front end requires steering correction that matches the coil spring lift height. A shock valved specifically for a lifted solid axle truck running 37" or "heavier" tires is a must. A generic "white can Rancho" won't cut it. Caster correction is necessary to prevent death wobble and most likely a set of Carli Lifetime upper and lower Ball-joints. Drop pitman arm, track bar bracket, and sway bar extensions. And once you get all of the parts sorted out you still have...

Ride quality problems caused by the steep angle of the front control links. These trucks do not ride well with the control links pointed at a 45* angle toward the ground. A kit that includes fancy new control links that pivot from the factory mounting locations might help with the caster issue but the ride still suffers. A long arm system helps with the ride but that adds $$$ to the total kit price.

I lifted my 2005 Quad Cab Cummins 4x4 and ran it up and down the Baja Peninsula for a number of race seasons as a chase truck and prerunner. If lift height is all you want it's easy (not cheap) to achieve that. But putting together a complete 8" system that will ride nice enough to keep a smile on your face behind the wheel is anything but cheap. There are "cheap" kits out there and we do not sell them because they do not drive or ride well. My best advice is if the truck is a daily driver the lift height needs to be no taller than 6" inches. In my personal opinion even 6" of lift is pushing it for these trucks in terms of ride and handling issues. With a very mild 2" to 3" lift the 2003+ Ram 2500 and 3500 4x4 will properly clear a 37x13.50 Toyo when installed on the correct width wheel with the right amount of back space. And when I say clear it, I mean the tire will not rub even under extreme off-road conditions (Baja).

-Jeff