8 speed clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this the 8 speed transmission we are taking about?!
Because, the guys on the Jeep SRT forums are complaining BIG TIME about the "clunk" and upshifts and downshifts. For a 70K vehicle,......Jeep/Chrysler really dropped the ball on this one. People have gotten replaced transmissions and other parts, still no luck. Most have had the newest software update with no luck as well. A couple of owners have even gotten new vehicles through the Lemon Law.
I was waiting and hoping the newest software update would have been the end all fix, so I could finally order one, but that's not going to happen now. I think I'll look elsewhere, even though I really had my heart set on the 2015/2016 Jeep SRT. :crazy: :crazy:

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this the 8 speed transmission we are taking about?!
Because, the guys on the Jeep SRT forums are complaining BIG TIME about the "clunk" and upshifts and downshifts. For a 70K vehicle,......Jeep/Chrysler really dropped the ball on this one. People have gotten replaced transmissions and other parts, still no luck. Most have had the newest software update with no luck as well. A couple of owners have even gotten new vehicles through the Lemon Law.
I was waiting and hoping the newest software update would have been the end all fix, so I could finally order one, but that's not going to happen now. I think I'll look elsewhere, even though I really had my heart set on the 2015/2016 Jeep SRT. :crazy: :crazy:

i believe the 8 speeds in the jeeps and a few others are actually built by Chrysler and not ZF. they are built under license but Chrysler changed a few things and there has been a lot of issues reported with the Chrysler built 8 speeds

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i believe the 8 speeds in the jeeps and a few others are actually built by Chrysler and not ZF. they are built under license but Chrysler changed a few things and there has been a lot of issues reported with the Chrysler built 8 speeds

Yeah,.....I wonder what changed though, besides it being built at different plants? I wonder why all the issues now though. It's unfortunate.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah,.....I wonder what changed though, besides it being built at different plants? I wonder why all the issues now though. It's unfortunate.

basically Chrysler setup a factory to make them rather then keep buying from ZF but along with that they made some design changes. the exact changes i can't seem to find now but those transmissions were only supposed to be used on lighter vehicles like the jeeps and i assume some cars and SUVs. i don't remember but they might also be in some of the V6 trucks. the same place i had read about the changes was also listing a bunch of issues directly related to those changes. our trucks are supposed to only have the ZF built 8 speeds but i wouldn't be at all surprised if they started using some of the Chrysler built ones once production was fully up and running

[edit] finally found a site here, no exact info but it's still worth reading. the currently known changes were done to match the existing Chrysler production so they wouldn't have to change everything and retrain people for new equipment. sounds to me like they really just wanted to cut corners so they were easier and faster to build so they could really start pumping them out but when you do things like that quality almost always takes a hit. the ZF built transmissions have already been around a bit so the majority of the issues are worked out but with Chrysler making changes they end up back at square one with their customers basically being stuck as beta testers

Last edited:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
basically Chrysler setup a factory to make them rather then keep buying from ZF but along with that they made some design changes. the exact changes i can't seem to find now but those transmissions were only supposed to be used on lighter vehicles like the jeeps and i assume some cars and SUVs. i don't remember but they might also be in some of the V6 trucks. the same place i had read about the changes was also listing a bunch of issues directly related to those changes. our trucks are supposed to only have the ZF built 8 speeds but i wouldn't be at all surprised if they started using some of the Chrysler built ones once production was fully up and running

[edit] finally found a site here, no exact info but it's still worth reading. the currently known changes were done to match the existing Chrysler production so they wouldn't have to change everything and retrain people for new equipment. sounds to me like they really just wanted to cut corners so they were easier and faster to build so they could really start pumping them out but when you do things like that quality almost always takes a hit. the ZF built transmissions have already been around a bit so the majority of the issues are worked out but with Chrysler making changes they end up back at square one with their customers basically being stuck as beta testers

Thanks for the info. I appreciate that.
Yeah,.....that's just very poor on Jeep's and Chrysler's part. Very poor.
They're cutting corners to make more profit while the customers take the hit. Not right.
That is why I am staying away from the 2015/2016 Jeep SRT. I had my heart set on one for a while now, but not after reading all the horror stories. Especially when they have no fix for it. Very poor!

coleflo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So basically if your transmission was built in Indiana it's a Chrysler build, and a ZF build if built in SC?

How do we determine which plant our transmissions were built in?

coleflo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OK.
I see the ZF builds are designated with an HP and the Chrysler builds are RE.

I would imagine it would be on the window sticker.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you have the hemi or Eco diesel you have the 8HP70 ZF built transmission. The 845RE/8HP45 is only used in trucks with the 3.6 v6.

It's the same for any platform that can be equipped with the 8 speed. Diesel or v8 have the 8HP70, 3.6 models have either the 845RE/8HP45.

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you have the hemi or Eco diesel you have the 8HP70 ZF built transmission. The 845RE/8HP45 is only used in trucks with the 3.6 v6.

It's the same for any platform that can be equipped with the 8 speed. Diesel or v8 have the 8HP70, 3.6 models have either the 845RE/8HP45.
Pretty sure all the eight speeds for the hemi are built by chrystler.

They actually bought the right to the transmission from ZF and have engineering control of them. That's why you can't drop a ZF performance tranny in the hemi trucks.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Pretty sure all the eight speeds for the hemi are built by chrystler.

They actually bought the right to the transmission from ZF and have engineering control of them. That's why you can't drop a ZF performance tranny in the hemi trucks.

Thats not correct, the chrysler built transmissions have the RE designation where as the ZF built have the HP designation. Being a tech I actually get to talk to some of the people that have access to a lot more information than I do, and that is what they tell me. Heck you can google it yourself and find that out.

The only transmission that Chrysler is building is the 845RE which has some slight changes from the 8HP45. As far as know the only changes are some software, some clutches and the oil pan, but the vast majority of parts are same as the 8HP45, just built in chryslers plant. Chrysler do have rights to make changes to the 845RE transmission as they see fit, but this only applies to the 845RE. ZF has their own plant in South Carolina I believe.

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thats not correct, the chrysler built transmissions have the RE designation where as the ZF built have the HP designation. Being a tech I actually get to talk to some of the people that have access to a lot more information than I do, and that is what they tell me. Heck you can google it yourself and find that out.

The only transmission that Chrysler is building is the 845RE which has some slight changes from the 8HP45. As far as know the only changes are some software, some clutches and the oil pan, but the vast majority of parts are same as the 8HP45, just built in chryslers plant. Chrysler do have rights to make changes to the 845RE transmission as they see fit, but this only applies to the 845RE. ZF has their own plant in South Carolina I believe.
You may be right.

However, I know for a fact the transmissions that are made for chrystler are different from.the ones ZF normally makes.

Last edited:

coleflo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interesting. Especially since they found a flash fix for the v6's.

Tach_Tech, there are a few polls being taken on some of these message boards about whether or not your 2014 has the "clunk/Lunge" when coming to a stop.
Seems about 1 in every 3 are having this issue.

Are you seeing a lot of '14s being brought in?

Last time I had it in the service writer just said "as of now, there are no TSB's for this issue and to keep bringing it back in for documentation reasons."
The RO, of course, said that there was no issue found.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You bay be right.

However, I know for a fact the transmissions that are made for chrystler are different from.the ones ZF normally makes.

I wouldn't doubt that all, every manufacture is going to have slightly different requirements for a transmission. Since manufactures collaborate with ZF for their transmissions, I would doubt ZF says "here's our 8 speed take it or leave it."

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wouldn't doubt that all, every manufacture is going to have slightly different requirements for a transmission. Since manufactures collaborate with ZF for their transmissions, I would doubt ZF says "here's our 8 speed take it or leave it."
ZF sells their transmissions as kits with a lot of modularity. That means anyone they sell it to can make a lot of changes.

But Chrystler has taken it to the next level. They actually can make changes to the transmission designs of ZF. Really it just started as a ZF transmission, but it's a Chrystler design now.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
ZF sells their transmissions as kits with a lot of modularity. That means anyone they sell it to can make a lot of changes.

But Chrystler has taken it to the next level. They actually can make changes to the transmission designs of ZF. Really it just started as a ZF transmission, but it's a Chrystler design now.

Absolutely, but the only transmission Chrysler pretty well has full control of as of right now is the 845RE/8HP45. The 8HP70 and 8HP90 are still a ZF design.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Absolutely, but the only transmission Chrysler pretty well has full control of as of right now is the 845RE/8HP45. The 8HP70 and 8HP90 are still a ZF design.
Again, yes and no. It started as a ZF transmission, but Chrystler now owns the rights to the designs and changes have been and will be made to those designs.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Interesting. Especially since they found a flash fix for the v6's.

Tach_Tech, there are a few polls being taken on some of these message boards about whether or not your 2014 has the "clunk/Lunge" when coming to a stop.
Seems about 1 in every 3 are having this issue.

Are you seeing a lot of '14s being brought in?

Last time I had it in the service writer just said "as of now, there are no TSB's for this issue and to keep bringing it back in for documentation reasons."
The RO, of course, said that there was no issue found.

Honestly I have yet to drive a 8 speed equipped truck that did not have the 2-1 harsh shift to some degree. When the trucks are new is generally when it is the most noticeable. I think I have driven maybe 1 or 2 trucks that I couldn't really tell if it did it.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Again, yes and no. It started as a ZF transmission, but Chrystler now owns the rights to the designs and changes have been and will be made to those designs.

I don't disagree with that all, but still only applies to the 845RE/8HP45. When Chrysler first had the 8 speed it was only available In the rwd cars, and only with the v6. At that time it was the 8HP45, and were being built in Germany. Wasnt till 2013 that Chrysler was making the 8HP45, which then received the RE designation when made by Chrysler. The only Chrysler vehicles that have the 845RE are v6 gas powered.

I've yet to read or have anyone from chrysler tell me any different. I'm sure eventually Chrysler will be making the HP70/HP90 variants but as of right now I don't believe they are.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7

not exactly true. they have licensed it from ZF and are allowed to make changes on the models Chrysler builds but they must also run those changes by ZF. Chrysler holds the patents for the changes they make but the basic design is still fully owned by ZF. any transmission actually made by ZF is still going only by ZF designs unless they decided to incorporate any changes that Chrysler has made but they then requires ZF to license those changes from Chrysler

things could be different now but originally the Chrysler built transmissions were built for less torque so they are only used in the smaller engines while the hemi and ecodiesel is still supposed to have the ZF built transmissions

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
not exactly true. they have licensed it from ZF and are allowed to make changes on the models Chrysler builds but they must also run those changes by ZF. Chrysler holds the patents for the changes they make but the basic design is still fully owned by ZF. any transmission actually made by ZF is still going only by ZF designs unless they decided to incorporate any changes that Chrysler has made but they then requires ZF to license those changes from Chrysler

things could be different now but originally the Chrysler built transmissions were built for less torque so they are only used in the smaller engines while the hemi and ecodiesel is still supposed to have the ZF built transmissions

No, they have "engineering control" which means they can make whatever changes they want.