8 speed tranny shudder/clunk/stutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've searched and searched but I think I have a different issue than most?

Just picked this truck up. Specs on truck are in my sig.

Just had manifold gasket done, and got them to do tranny flush at same time.

Since I've bought this truck 2 weeks ago, it's had a stutter when shifting. Most noticeable from 2-3, but kinda does it whenever it wants. Just accelerating normally from a stop, it won't make noise, it just feels like it clunks, or slips. Something. Sorry if I can't describe it well. Does not shift smooth at all. Some people say with the 8 speed working normally, you almost can't even feel it shift. Well I definitely feel it shift. Almost every gear, it just bucks for a second than goes. Get a small loss of power for a moment, then picks up and goes.

Where do I go from here? No codes, 220***kms on truck. The shop also did a relearn on the tranny, but hasn't seem to help yet

Funkychateau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2014 started doing the same thing at around 100,000 miles, and it has worsened over time (180,000 miles now).

If I accelerate more rapidly, keeping the RPM above 2000 or 2500, it shifts smoothly. Gentle acceleration is almost always accompanied by slipping and grabbing.

I’ve seen numerous online references to this problem, but no one seems to have solved it. Even folks who pay the dealerships to troubleshoot are not getting it fixed.

I’m about to try a fluid and filter change to see if that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2014 started doing the same thing at around 100,000 miles, and it has worsened over time (180,000 miles now).

If I accelerate more rapidly, keeping the RPM above 200 or 2500, it shifts smoothly. Gentle acceleration is almost always accompanied by slipping and grabbing.

I’ve seen numerous online references to this problem, but no one seems to have solved it. Even folks who pay the dealerships to troubleshoot are not getting it fixed.

I’m about to try a fluid and filter change to see if that helps.

Yeah, let me know how that goes. I got fluid changed, but not filter. No difference. No one seems to come back with what fix it was.

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
no one else have or heard of this issue? Not sure, maybe because of the lift? Driveshaft? would like to get this figured out if possible on here, before bringing it in to a shop.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
We see it in another RAM in our family. Usually at a low RPM. One observation, it seems to happen when MDS comes on. Stutter would be a better description in our case. Sort of disappointed with this 8sp, that gets so much praise.

Funkychateau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Although “stutter” accurately describes the feel during light acceleration from low speed, it is actually a “slip and grab” on my truck.

I can see my tach register a slight RPM increase, followed by an almost-immediate drop as the transmission “grabs” again.

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hmm, but on mine, it's as a i accelerate, not when I'm cruising. So it couldn't be the MDS then could it? I'm wondering if it's the torque converter locking up and then releasing.
I watch the rpm and tach as it's doing it, and neither really move up or down. obviously they are going up as I accelerate, but not funny sudden drop or spike like a slip.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
i commented in the other thread as well. i have a 14 8 speed. last summer i changed my fluid and filter/pan. i went to redline fluid, to save money and at the time mostly everyone was on the bandwagon of looking elsewhere vs mopar or zf fluids where they are so expensive. fast forward to say 6 months ago. i have this low rpm slip. its like slipping the clutch with a manual. you can watch the rpms come up to about 1700 rpm, then down to around 1500 rpm where it engages. i can hear it as well (my borla catback helps). this is worse when in low rpm in second or third and easing onto the throttle (say slowing down to traffic in front or making a sharp turn). if i manually downshift a gear and get the rpms up over 1700 or so there is no slip. my symptoms are very consistent. nothing radical or crazy, just that low rpm slip. around 3 weeks ago i did a fluid drain and fill with mopar fluid. it has been better in some situations but the same in others. not worse at all though. i plan to do another drain and fill in another week or so. this drain and fill only does around 3.5 qts at a time. so it will take a few to do all the fluid.

last drain i had some metal "dust" in my fluid. so i know some damage is being done. Fingers crossed i can get 30k miles more on this trans so i can trade it. Ive also priced a reman trans replacement around 4500 out the door with a local mechanic. thats good to hear @Funkychateau that you have gotten 80k miles of slipping and it still has not broken.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
There's 220000 miles on this ZF8? Do you know the service history of it?

I probably wouldn't spend a lot of time and money on fluid changes at this point. It's likely on it's way out no matter what you do if it's got that many miles on it.

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There's 220000 miles on this ZF8? Do you know the service history of it?

I probably wouldn't spend a lot of time and money on fluid changes at this point. It's likely on it's way out no matter what you do if it's got that many miles on it.

220,000 KMS. Not miles. I'm in Canada eh!

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure on the history or if it's been taken care of. Just picked it up from a dealer wholesaling it as it needed some work. brakes, ball joints, shocks, manifold leak
So I got it for cheap. Fixed everything except shocks so far and this 'stutter' of sorts

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
220,000 KMS. Not miles. I'm in Canada eh!

Ah! Got it.

So it's not horribly high mileage at ~136K miles. I'd get a new pan/filter/bolt kit on amazon, eBay or the likes for ~$60 shipped, swap that out and replace the fluid lost in the process. At least you'd get a look to see if there's lots of metal bits in the pan. I'd personally use Valvoline Maxlife ATF if it were mine, but I get it that people like to run OEM fluids.

It's very likely it's not transmission related at all. Could be MDS, etc.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Has anyone on here used that? Would be great to hear if it really fixed the problem. May give it a whirl

I dunno about that one but many transmission additives have very good reputations out there. Do a search there are many products out there, I had auto rx not only save a sticky transmission, but the guy I sold it to emailed me ten years later just to tell me how great that Bronco was for him, lol. I would look for an additive that matches your condition, mine was sticky so auto rx ester cleaner unstuck it, sounds like that wouldn't be helpful here. I think shudder may be fixable, I fixed mine with redline c+, but I don't know about clunks. Your tranny might be toast, but that cheap additive may be worth a shot. I don't think I'd try redline or a flush, you may be tossing away good money, but hey why not try and additive?

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I could try an additive. But my mechanic says he doesn't think it's a shudder. But could be related to the torque converter lock up? Also nothing to do with the MDS

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Without scanning real time data, how do you know this?

How can it be on, when my eco light doesn't come and I am accelerating. Or are you thinking that is why it could be the problem. Because it is coming on when it shouldn't?

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I don’t have a ZF tranny is my RAM but i have a 65RFE, and it shakes horribly when letting off the gas pedal for around 3 seconds, feels like i’m driving a dementia patient. It’s the torque converter that’s going out, just letting everyone know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk