8 speed tranny shudder/clunk/stutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don’t have a ZF tranny is my RAM but i have a 65RFE, and it shakes horribly when letting off the gas pedal for around 3 seconds, feels like i’m driving a dementia patient. It’s the torque converter that’s going out, just letting everyone know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's my concern. I think it may be related to do that.

Am I correct in saying that if one manually switches gears with the buttons, it disables the MDS? Because I've tried that and it still 'stutters'

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Yeah that's my concern. I think it may be related to do that.

Am I correct in saying that if one manually switches gears with the buttons, it disables the MDS? Because I've tried that and it still 'stutters'

Yes, if you wanna be 100% sure, put your truck into 8th gear manually, turn on Tow/Haul mode and turn off Traction Control. If it still does that, i’d be looking at the Torque Converter. My truck is a 4.7L, so i don’t have MDS, but you should try that.

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, if you wanna be 100% sure, put your truck into 8th gear manually, turn on Tow/Haul mode and turn off Traction Control. If it still does that, i’d be looking at the Torque Converter. My truck is a 4.7L, so i don’t have MDS, but you should try that.

How do I turn off the traction control

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
tranny shudders aare usually burnt gears or torque convertors. occasionally,, its wrong fluid. if burnt gear, the old fluid will tell. by its smell and appearance

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I'll try that at lunch. Do I need to be going highway speed like it should be in 8th gear, or even at a slower speed do it, and see what happens

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I'll try that at lunch. Do I need to be going highway speed like it should be in 8th gear, or even at a slower speed do it, and see what happens

start your truck, shift to drive and push the buttons to whatever max gear you want. no mds. i do this every time i drive my truck. i cannot stand mds. i dont see how anyone can enjoy driving their truck with that crap. Sounds like the truck is driving under water to me. And yes, i can feel it everytime it kicks in. i could with all 3 rams ive owned. you can down shift the truck any time you want with the buttons.

Ervin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this problem probably has been around for a long time. I had a 98 2500 when lightly accelerating and going up a slight incline, would shudder going into high gear, sometimes. Had it for 10 years never had any major problems with it. Was I lucky, guess we'll never know.

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

So I tried this last night. traction control off, tow/haul on and manually selecting gears. still has the stutter. I don't think I ever feel it downshifting. Only upshifting

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
Here is a little backyard mechanic trick I used to do on older vehicles any time I was going to do a tranny fluid and filter change:
Remove the trans fluid pressure line at the cooler/radiator. If you are not sure which line Is pressure and which one is return take them both off. You will spill the fluid in the cooler so adjust accordingly. Get some bulk hose at the parts store (rubber fuel line works best but don't remember the diameter) hose clamp the rubber line to the ends of the cooler lines and run them into a 5 gallon bucket (3-4 foot sections are plenty) Make sure that you find a way to clamp them to the bucket or have a helper hold them. Start the vehicle and the fluid (with some force) will empty out into the 5 gallon bucket. No need to run through the gears just leave it in park. AS SOON AS the fluid stops pumping shut the engine off. What this does is use pushes all the fluid out of the tranny AND the tourqe converter. Now when you drop the pan it is empty so no mess there plus it flushes 99% of the fluid out so you get a complete change done at one time. I've done this to a lot of vehicles and have never had any problems at all but I've never tried it on a computerized trans so not sure if there could be some damage done? Mechanically I don't think there would be but I'm not certified in transmissions so do this at your own risk if you do it. All I know is it's nice not taking a trans fluid bath when I drop the pan (I don't know about you but there are three things I can't stand getting on me, trans fluid brake fluid and lotion. Not sure why I told you about the lotion?) Plus as stated you swap all the fluid at one time which saves a **** ton of money and time. Here is my 2 cents worth on you guy's issue...... since it seems like it's rpm related I would say that your tourqe converter is not creating the pressure it should which is maybe why when you bring the R's up it corrects the issue? All a tourqe converter is is a giant pump to pump your fluid. I know some older Dodge vehicles had issues with the tourqe converter locking up and another shade tree mechanic fix for that was we would run a pint of brake fluid through the trans for about 15-20 minutes at an idle running the gear selector through the gears, no need to drive it. Most of the time this would free the tourqe converter up then you dump the fluid as stated above PLUS run a couple quarts of new fluid through the system to flush it out and then do a complete filter change and new fluid. Not sure if any of this applies guys just sharing a few older"tricks" with you all, use them or not it's your choice. One other thought...... anyone tried hooking up a programmer and messing with the shift points? You can also turn off your MDS with one. I bought a refurbished Superchips Flashpaq f5 on eBay for 200 bucks and it actually ended up being brand new plus now I have an OBDll scanner as an added bonus. If you ask me all these are things that I would try if I figured I needed a new trans anyway. Who knows might just get lucky and save a few grand and if you damage it more who cares cause you were going to replace it anyway!

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
So I tried this last night. traction control off, tow/haul on and manually selecting gears. still has the stutter. I don't think I ever feel it downshifting. Only upshifting

Is yours a shudder shifting into gears? Like 2nd into third?

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is yours a shudder shifting into gears? Like 2nd into third?

That seems to be when I notice it. Mainly 2nd to 3rd is the worst I'd say. Doesn't do it when your at cruising speed. Only accelerating. This morning, I think it did downshifting as well, but because your slowing down, it's not as noticeable.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I will also get a shudder shifting 2nd into 3rd..but it's not every time. Sometimes it's nice and smooth. Other times it's there, some times worse than others. I have not been able to get anywhere with the shudder as far as thoughts on here. I think it may be torque converter. Some suggested a slight misfire that's not kicking a cel. I've scanned and have nothing for codes. I have not done any data logging either. I kinda feel it's more so when it's hot. But not always the case.

But my trans always stays pretty cool. Quite often in mid 170s but never over 187. I have no confidence in a dealer properly diagnosing it. Saving pennies to replace

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I will also get a shudder shifting 2nd into 3rd..but it's not every time. Sometimes it's nice and smooth. Other times it's there, some times worse than others. I have not been able to get anywhere with the shudder as far as thoughts on here. I think it may be torque converter. Some suggested a slight misfire that's not kicking a cel. I've scanned and have nothing for codes. I have not done any data logging either. I kinda feel it's more so when it's hot. But not always the case.

But my trans always stays pretty cool. Quite often in mid 170s but never over 187. I have no confidence in a dealer properly diagnosing it. Saving pennies to replace

Sounds like were in the same boat. I think its torque converter related too. Wonder if I can find a schematic for the wire for the lock up, and cut it (will throw a cell) but see if the problem is still there. Eliminate that as a cause

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I get an occasional hard shift from 3rd to 2nd sometimes as well. Keep us updated with any findings

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well it had 4 recalls the previous owner never got done on it. Had them done yesterday, praying it would fix my problem when they reflashed the ecu for some other stuff (shifter dial, cruise control, passenger air bag, and tailgate latch) but nothings changed. Still get that hesitation when accelerating. If I drive slow through town, don't feel it. When I step on it or want to merge on the highway, definitely feel it. Not sure where to go from here.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tye 8 speed transmissions require a very specialized fluid. In some cases the dealer may put in ATF+4 which will toast it. I would put nothing but what is called out for in the manual. People use this red line stuff all the time and I keep hearing about lifter noise, and worn rollers, and damaged cams.....Use what the manufacturer tells you to use and stop listening to every google, you tube “expert” on here!!!! Yup I am “that guy”!

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Tye 8 speed transmissions require a very specialized fluid. In some cases the dealer may put in ATF+4 which will toast it. I would put nothing but what is called out for in the manual. People use this red line stuff all the time and I keep hearing about lifter noise, and worn rollers, and damaged cams.....Use what the manufacturer tells you to use and stop listening to every google, you tube “expert” on here!!!! Yup I am “that guy”!

Please edumacate us all. Dealers rarely touch these transmissions, remember "lifetime fluid". You are hearing and reading of people having issues after switching to redline oil? Please share that information with us. How about uoa's showing more wear from redline? Any of that?

What exactly are you trying to prove spouting out about stuff that has been proven to be false? I use redline oil and my truck is better with it. Please share all the info you have so I can make better decisions with my truck

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

That is odd for a ZF8.

The fluid heater on them typically tries to get up to and maintain 180-185F any time she's running.

The only time I see temps cooler than that is during the cold of winter with the heater cranking in the cab. In that case the coolant diverter valve diverts coolant to the heater core as opposed to the ATF heater.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
That is odd for a ZF8.

The fluid heater on them typically tries to get up to and maintain 180-185F any time she's running.

The only time I see temps cooler than that is during the cold of winter with the heater cranking in the cab. In that case the coolant diverter valve diverts coolant to the heater core as opposed to the ATF heater.

Yeah no idea. I watch temps all the time. I keep that screen on permanently. Purchased it at 69k and now at 86k. No highway driving either