8 speed trans problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tht1GrayRam48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i have a 2015 ram 1500 with 8 speed. For awhile now when come to a stop itll downshift to 1st gear really rough. Just sent it in to the dealer for tht and they found two updates that needed to be installed but it only helped a little bit. Anyone else experience this?

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles on it ?
Has transmission fluid been changed ?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2 to 1 hard downshift. Many have complained of this. Try a search and you will find several threads.

Mine shifts firm from 2 to 1 sometimes but I wouldn't describe it as hard. Once you have the updates I believe the consensus is that is as good as it gets and it is normal for this trans. That being said some have also had the valve body replaced under warranty.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Mine does this. Dealer said normal, general consensus is it's normal. I'm like whatever, got the extended warranty. lol

OP
OP
T

Tht1GrayRam48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2 to 1 hard downshift. Many have complained of this. Try a search and you will find several threads.

Mine shifts firm from 2 to 1 sometimes but I wouldn't describe it as hard. Once you have the updates I believe the consensus is that is as good as it gets and it is normal for this trans. That being said some have also had the valve body replaced under warranty.
Does the valve body being swapped out help or was that for a reason?

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
32k mi and no the transmission hasnt been changed
I would check fluid level.
Transmission temperature must be between 96 and 120 degrees.
Should be a slow dribble out of the hole when the level plug is removed.
All zf autos are notoriously sensitive to fluid level.

OP
OP
T

Tht1GrayRam48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would check fluid level.
Transmission temperature must be between 96 and 120 degrees.
Should be a slow dribble out of the hole when the level plug is removed.
All zf autos are notoriously sensitive to fluid level.

Ill take a look tomorrow.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the valve body being swapped out help or was that for a reason?

I want to say it did help for some but I would have to go back and re-read all the threads on the topic to confirm. I will leave that up to you.

To me if your 2 to 1 downshift is just firm and not truly hard then that is normal. It is difficult to know what you consider a "hard" shift to be.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
My 2-1 downshift feels like someone gave me a love tap from behind. A little bump and push forward.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats normal for 8 speeds. My 2016 5.7 Ram & and my wife's 2015 3.6 Grand Cherokee. Both do it & have done it since we bought both new. Gets worse when tuned. I just learned to adjust the way I break around the 2-1 shift

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2-1 downshift feels like someone gave me a love tap from behind. A little bump and push forward.
My truck does that. If I put it in tow mode it’s twice as bad. I’m pretty sure it’s related to trans braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tht1GrayRam48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep everything thats been mentioned about the trans, is happening to me but either way im gunna check fluid level and the dealer also said if it continues to give them a call. Ill keep trying to find a solution.

damnimcooltom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was a redesigned valve body for the ZF 8 and 9 speeds introduced around July of 2014. If your vehicle is older than that, a valve body may help. ZF designed the transmissions, buy FCA is responsible for all of the programming. They are getting better, but still aren't great. Many of us have a hard 2-1 downshift in our cars and trucks. Keep an eye on it, and make sure it's not a very hard thunk.

When my Challenger does it, it isn't the shift itself that concerns me, it's the sudden change in torque to the rear wheels. I am applying the amount of braking pressure that is right for the speed, and it suddenly thumps into 1st, and I lunge forward, suddenly needing more brake applied to keep from hitting the car in front of me. I haven't noticed that in the Ram, really.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Mine does this. Dealer said normal, general consensus is it's normal. I'm like whatever, got the extended warranty. lol
I discovered that the difference between "now" and under the extended warranty was a $100.- deductible, plus you get to pay the deductible if they don't find anything.

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
I couldnt find love for that tranny at all. Not surpised there are problems. I bought a 2500 with the six speed

four bye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the time. Brought it back to the dealer and they found the trans. fluid low, topped it and it still does it. I'm starting to believe this is normal.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I couldnt find love for that tranny at all. Not surpised there are problems. I bought a 2500 with the six speed

LOL the 8sp has the fewest issues of all the transmissions and this one problem is minor.
You bought a truck with many transmission problems, just do a search on it.

Mine does not do this the 2-1 down shift is not harsh at all.

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2014 Ram A8 shifts so smoothly (both up and down) you can barely tell it is doing so. Not even the slightest 2-1 bump. My 2016 Charger SP A8 is programmed a little more aggressively and the shifts are more pronounced both up and down in normal mode. A very slight 2-1 bump but not harsh at all. In sport mode the shifts are even more pronounced but also not harsh by any measure.