96 dodge ram 1500 speedometer/odometer issues manual transmission from a 2000 Dakota

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrjwedge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 96 ram 1500 2wd that I bought with a bad trannny. This was known, I just wanted a project. Little did I know that it was going to be more difficult than I thought to find a manual transmission to replace it. I finally found one,but it was from a 2000 Dakota v6. I took my chances and bought it anyway. I put it in, and everything fit fine and it's running like a champ, EXCEPT I have one issue. No speedometer, and the odometer doesn't work. On the original transmission for 96, the speedometer sensor was on the output shaft of the transmission, and from what I understand, on the 2000 Dakota, it is on the differential. But when I look on my differential, and there's a sensor on there already. So my question is: Is there a way that I can splice the wires from the original harness that went to the output shaft on the old trannny, to the existing sensor on my differential? Or Does anyone know of another solution?

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
isn't the sensor on the rear end just for the ABS?

OP
OP
M

Mrjwedge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not entirely sure. I've read some places that it's also a speed sensor.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
On the 96 it's just abs. You'd need to tap into the rear end and install 2000+ sensor and do some splicing and hope it works. Or find the correct model trans

OP
OP
M

Mrjwedge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't even have abs on my ram. I have the base model....it didn't even come with factory ac haha