AC repaired by mechanic shop yet odd issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john33

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

I have:

2010 Ram 1500 Sport
5.7L Hemi

I took my truck in couple weeks back for the AC system not working. Mechanic looked into and said the truck needed an evaporator and expansion valve.

Agreed to have the work done with OEM parts and two days later the truck was ready.

Picked up the truck and took it home.

Next morning for work I turned on the AC and drove off. At first it was exciting to have AC again. However, about 20 mins into my drive. I noticed the AC was not feeling... that "cold" feeling. I had it on full blower speed, it felt cool, not cold. I kept my hand in-front of the vent awhile and was nothing of a cold feel. Then as I put the blower on low tired of hearing the high blower noise. I started hearing something that sounded like compressed air being forced into a small opening.. like a rush with a slight scream to it. This would go off and on every 12 seconds.

After awhile I just started to think I was just being too picky, expecting too much. So over the course a couple weeks now. I have been in some other cars with the AC on. I noticed I can leave my hand in-front of their vent. After about 20 seconds it can start to feel uncomfortable. I can also draw my hand back about a foot from the vent and feel cold air still.

In my truck if I pull my hand back about a foot from the vent it almost feels like ambient air temp in the cab. Yet, it just feels cool if I hover my hand right over the vent.

So on my drive home from work (35mins) all of a sudden the AC had gotten ice cold and was working great. I had to stop at a store and finally driving home again. The system was back to just a cool feeling not cold.

I mean this is the type of feeling that if the blower is on high and blowing in your face it feels just comfortable. Yet, move the vent air off you and you're getting warm in the truck again the entire time.

So after reading online and growing curious. I picked up set of manifold gauges. From what I can see the readings look fine, perhaps a tad on the high side. I copied the video to my dropbox account. You are welcome to take a look. Perhaps you can read the gauges better than me.

The ambient air temp outside was 67F when I took the video and the temp at the center blower vent was 51

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbo4mem0j3j63cn/20160613_172554.mp4?dl=0

So what could be causing this irritating noise and weak performing system?
My co-workers AC in his 2012 Ram is ice cold and very silent.

I just want some knowledge to the problem. So I don't go back and the mechanic tell me it is functioning normal.

Thank you for reading all this and taking the time consider the issue.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Honestly, take it to another well established shop and tech. Taking it back to the original guy is just going to scoff at anything you say or bring up or tell you something else went bad.

Could be a lot of things, over/undercharge, blend door cycling, did not pull a proper vacuum before filling and maybe even a compressor going out.

Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357