Adding a rear power sliding window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
According to this law, a ram truck would be exempt from requiring rear window defrost.
don't:Caffeine: think so because this is the code I brought to them and was sent to RAM and they paid to install a new sliding window with defrost with tinted glass at no charge to me and also gave me a renta car while they did the work.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
don't:Caffeine: think so because this is the code I brought to them and was sent to RAM and they paid to install a new sliding window with defrost with tinted glass at no charge to me and also gave me a renta car while they did the work.
Lucky you...but that’s not what the law says.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rear window of a pick up (and most SUVs) are pretty much useless for seeing anything while driving other than your trailer or what's in the bed. Defrosters for the side rear windows make sense.
Not knowing how to use your sideview mirrors correctly is lot bigger safety issue than a fogged up back window.

A 4X4 truck and several SUVs fit the legal description to be exempt.
you vehicle is not a truck its a passenger:Caffeine: vehicle

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Whole pile of 2019 RAMs on the local lot here without the rear defroster. I wonder if it has something to do with the solid rear window verses the ones that open?

-K

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
did you see the word truck chassis:Caffeine:

you vehicle is not a truck its a passenger:Caffeine: vehicle
The nhtsa defines a pickup truck as a multipurpose passenger vehicle. This is what they require it to be identified as- WYnlNJq.jpg

Therefore, a ram is exempt from the New York law. EVEN IF the door sticker said “passenger vehicle”, the rear window on a ram is not in a “movable closure door-like member” (liftgate on a grand Cherokee, for example), therefore, STILL not required to have a rear window defrost. I’m not doubting that you or your buddies had theirs replaced, but don’t expect FCA to just start replacing everybody’s rear windows who owns a tradesman in the state of New York. They don’t have a leg to stand on to be able to enforce that law on a ram owner.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it looks like all I need now is a factory harness to make all work. I will find out for sure on Monday and post the results.
They don't reccomend re installing the power sliding rear window on the Ram pickups due to the fact that they have a rubber trim moulding that is attached to the outer edge of the window. This usually gets damaged when the window is cut out of whatever truck it is in. Most people would refuse to accept that as being ok when the window gets re installed. I purchased my window new but I'm pretty sure the rubber trim piece is mostly cosmetic. They are sealed with urethane like most other windows. If someone was ok with the rubber trim being a little damaged I'm pretty sure as long as the old urethane was properly removed the window could be re installed. The non power sliding windows do not have the rubber moulding attached to the outer edge of the window.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
They don't reccomend re installing the power sliding rear window on the Ram pickups due to the fact that they have a rubber trim moulding that is attached to the outer edge of the window. This usually gets damaged when the window is cut out of whatever truck it is in. Most people would refuse to accept that as being ok when the window gets re installed. I purchased my window new but I'm pretty sure the rubber trim piece is mostly cosmetic. They are sealed with urethane like most other windows. If someone was ok with the rubber trim being a little damaged I'm pretty sure as long as the old urethane was properly removed the window could be re installed. The non power sliding windows do not have the rubber moulding attached to the outer edge of the window.

Ok , understand now. My slider is new Mopar, who do you recommend I have install it?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok , understand now. My slider is new Mopar, who do you recommend I have install it?
To install the window itself any good auto glass shop can easily do it. My buddy owns his own glass shop so he came by and we did it together. I made my own harness and had it all installed and ready to go before he came over and finished it all up after the window was in. I wired it exactly as factory but I wired the actual open/close switch opposite as factory. For some reason the factory switch is wired backwards in my opinion. If you push the button to your left (drivers side) the window will move the opposite direction and close. If you push to the right it will open. I deliberately wired it so it moves the way I push the button because I prefere it that way. Not sure why Ram wired it the opposite way but it was my preference wire it the way I did. Have had it in for two or three years and it works great.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
To install the window itself any good auto glass shop can easily do it. My buddy owns his own glass shop so he came by and we did it together. I made my own harness and had it all installed and ready to go before he came over and finished it all up after the window was in. I wired it exactly as factory but I wired the actual open/close switch opposite as factory. For some reason the factory switch is wired backwards in my opinion. If you push the button to your left (drivers side) the window will move the opposite direction and close. If you push to the right it will open. I deliberately wired it so it moves the way I push the button because I prefere it that way. Not sure why Ram wired it the opposite way but it was my preference wire it the way I did. Have had it in for two or three years and it works great.

Man! You make it sound easy. Now I really want to do this! Can I buy the harness from the dealer? You still up to helping me with my truck soon? :)

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man! You make it sound easy. Now I really want to do this! Can I buy the harness from the dealer? You still up to helping me with my truck soon? :)
No you cannot. The harness is attached to the headliner in trucks equipped with the power slider. You cannot purchase it separately. The best trick is to find an overhead console that as been cut out of the harness and still has the pigtails attached so you will have the connector that attaches to the power slider switch. You can easily build your harness from there. This is a Simple harness as explained in the post Kad: linked. Will be glad to help answer any questions.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
No you cannot. The harness is attached to the headliner in trucks equipped with the power slider. You cannot purchase it separately. The best trick is to find an overhead console that as been cut out of the harness and still has the pigtails attached so you will have the connector that attaches to the power slider switch. You can easily build your harness from there. This is a Simple harness as explained in the post Kad: linked. Will be glad to help answer any questions.

That sucks! So you have to buy a complete headliner to get the correct harness?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks! So you have to buy a complete headliner to get the correct harness?
I wouldn't reccomend that. It's to easy to build your own that works exactly as factory but to answer your question, yes the only way to get the harness new is to buy the correct headliner that already has it. We build harnesses for these trucks that are way more involved than the five wires it takes to build this one.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I have the plug that goes into the overhead console, what plug do I need for the other side? Do you have a link to your original diy post? I’ve tried the search by title and name and can not find it. Thanks

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the plug that goes into the overhead console, what plug do I need for the other side? Do you have a link to your original diy post? I’ve tried the search by title and name and can not find it. Thanks
I have tried to find it and it seems like it's gone. Not sure if it got moved or deleted. I bought the mopar repair kit for the wiring that connects to the window motor. It was several years ago so I had to do some digging but the part# I show for the repair kit is (Mopar 5161926AA). This will include the correct connector to attach to the window motor plus the pinned wires to connect to it. From there it is simple. Run the two wires from the switch to the motor as shown in the schematics and then run one to ground wherever you prefer and the other to an ignition on/run power source. My truck had the correct wire in the drivers side C pillar but some trucks don't. It is a pink wire with yellow stripe. Pull your drivers C pillar cover and see if it's there. Check it with a multimeter and make sure it has power with ignition on and tap into it there if it does. I actually had the correct pin and just pinned into the connector like factory but if you don't then just splice into the wire. If you don't have the correct wire there then just locate another ignition on power source. They are all over inside the truck in the console power outlet ect. They are usually the pink/yellow wire. Check it with a multimeter to confirm it's ignition on/run. I attached my illumination wire to the small LED light in the overhead that illuminates the center console. It's that simple.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you. And I’m glad it wasn’t just me that couldn’t find, though I wish it were there. Lol

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The nhtsa defines a pickup truck as a multipurpose passenger vehicle. This is what they require it to be identified as- WYnlNJq.jpg

Therefore, a ram is exempt from the New York law. EVEN IF the door sticker said “passenger vehicle”, the rear window on a ram is not in a “movable closure door-like member” (liftgate on a grand Cherokee, for example), therefore, STILL not required to have a rear window defrost. I’m not doubting that you or your buddies had theirs replaced, but don’t expect FCA to just start replacing everybody’s rear windows who owns a tradesman in the state of New York. They don’t have a leg to stand on to be able to enforce that law on a ram owner.
:Caffeine:

In the State of NEW YORK your vehicle is registered according to how much it weighs so a Ram 1500 is in the State of NEW YORK registered as a passenger vehicle not a truck The weight might go up lets say on a 2500 RAM and then its registered as a truck that is set by the Department of TRANSPORTATION regulations

Last edited: