Adding a rear power sliding window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
:Caffeine:

In the State of NEW YORK your vehicle is registered according to how much it weighs so a Ram 1500 is in the State of NEW YORK registered as a passenger vehicle not a truck The weight might go up lets say on a 2500 RAM and then its registered as a truck that is set by the Department of Highway regulations

Also the dealers in New York are supposed to order from the factory a cold weather :Caffeine:package which then comes with a rear defroster and some other crap but the dealers elect not to check that box because they save a couple of hundred dollars on the purchase of the truck from the factory and the buyers are unaware of this

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
:Caffeine:

In the State of NEW YORK your vehicle is registered according to how much it weighs so a Ram 1500 is in the State of NEW YORK registered as a passenger vehicle not a truck The weight might go up lets say on a 2500 RAM and then its registered as a truck that is set by the Department of Highway regulations
Is the rear window of your Ram passenger vehicle registered truck located inside of a movable closure door-like member?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
whats a sliding glass window located in the rear window:Caffeine:
Touché. I can see how one would interpret it that way. I would say “mounted in a door like member” would be the glass being mounted in a door, like a hatchback or a lift gate.

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also the dealers in New York are supposed to order from the factory a cold weather :Caffeine:package which then comes with a rear defroster and some other crap but the dealers elect not to check that box because they save a couple of hundred dollars on the purchase of the truck from the factory and the buyers are unaware of this

Unfortunately dealers dont always order the vehicles, they are sent to them from Chrysler based on sales volume

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
whats a sliding glass window located in the rear window:Caffeine:

A Ram pickup is NOT automatically a passenger vehicle in NY State. Its ORIGINAL definition is TRUCK. This allows the dealer to order a Ram pickup without the rear defroster. In order to place NY PASSENGER CAR PLATES / REGISTRATION on a Ram pickup you must (copied directly from NY DMV website):

Your pick-up truck can qualify for passenger class plates if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight.
  • If you have a modified or unmodified pick-up truck with an unladen weight less than 6,001 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
    • the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements, and
    • the pick-up is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
  • If you have a modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
    • the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
    • a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed,
    • the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed ('camping equipment' indicates that you have a bed, a stove, or a refrigerator in the vehicle)

Pay particular attention to the wording "can qualify" which means your Ram pickup is a TRUCK until you qualify it as noted. Since NY considers it a truck until you qualify it the dealer can order it without the rear defroster.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A Ram pickup is NOT automatically a passenger vehicle in NY State. Its ORIGINAL definition is TRUCK. This allows the dealer to order a Ram pickup without the rear defroster. In order to place NY PASSENGER CAR PLATES / REGISTRATION on a Ram pickup you must (copied directly from NY DMV website):

Your pick-up truck can qualify for passenger class plates if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight.
  • If you have a modified or unmodified pick-up truck with an unladen weight less than 6,001 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
  • If you have a modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
    • the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
    • a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed,
    • the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed ('camping equipment' indicates that you have a bed, a stove, or a refrigerator in the vehicle)
Pay particular attention to the wording "can qualify" which means your Ram pickup is a TRUCK until you qualify it as noted. Since NY considers it a truck until you qualify it the dealer can order it without the rear defroster.

why would I register my vehicle as a truck the Dept.of Transportation makes the call on what is deemed a truck in a weight class so don't get what all this big deal is you can call it anything you want but the Reggie in my wallet says its a passenger vehicle and really I don't care . :Caffeine:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
why would I register my vehicle as a truck the Dept.of Transportation makes the call on what is deemed a truck in a weight class so don't get what all this big deal is you can call it anything you want but the Reggie in my wallet says its a passenger vehicle and really I don't care . :Caffeine:

>>>>mjf6175 said I must of copied directly from N.Y DMV website<<< wrong DMV does:Caffeine: not write the laws they carry them out also you can look up what aim saying with NEW YORK STATE (vehicle equipment and traffic laws the window with rear defrost is in section 39-10c
its makes for good reading

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
>>>>mjf6175 said I must of copied directly from N.Y DMV website<<< wrong DMV does:Caffeine: not write the laws they carry them out also you can look up what aim saying with NEW YORK STATE (vehicle equipment and traffic laws the window with rear defrost is in section 39-10c
its makes for good reading

What I stated was what I posted came directly from the NY DMV website. Try reading comprehension. In other words the BOLD section below (which is also quoted in my previous post above) is verbatim what NY DMV states about its regulations concerning registering a pickup truck and how you can qualify for passenger car plates. It is posted on the NY DMV website and defines the very regulations you are clueless about:

In case you still do not understand, the above BOLD section is NY DMV's interpretation of the NY DMV law which is written by them. I copied directly from THEIR website and pasted it.

Try reading again the very first sentence of the bold section above which is:
Your pick-up truck can qualify for passenger class plates if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight. What does NY DMV call your Ram? A TRUCK. The next important word of the sentence is QUALIFY, meaning you have to meet the requirements to get passenger plates otherwise it gets registered as a truck.

Contrary to what you state that NY DMV does not write the laws, NY DMV DOES write the laws in NY State regarding vehicle registration, licensing, and vehicle definitions, plus much more. Its very existence is for that purpose. And those laws are enforced by the police. Ask me how I know.........maybe 35 years in law enforcement as well as being an attorney.

You fail to grasp that the NY State requirement for a rear defroster pertains to a PASSENGER CAR and NOT a truck. A Ram is NOT a passenger car. It is defined as a TRUCK. But NY allows you to register your TRUCK as a passenger car if you meet the criteria I posted above and in my previous post. The fact that a Ram is considered a TRUCK first allows a dealer to order it WITHOUT the rear defroster. After the truck is sold then you can apply for passenger plates if you qualify by meeting the requirements in the BOLD section above. Take your own advice........READ

Last edited:

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
7 years in uniform, 5 years as a detective in a district attorney's office, and 23 years as a federal law enforcement agent

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What I stated was what I posted came directly from the NY DMV website. Try reading comprehension. In other words the BOLD section below (which is also quoted in my previous post above) is verbatim what NY DMV states about its regulations concerning registering a pickup truck and how you can qualify for passenger car plates. It is posted on the NY DMV website and defines the very regulations you are clueless about:

In case you still do not understand, the above BOLD section is NY DMV's interpretation of the NY DMV law which is written by them. I copied directly from THEIR website and pasted it.

Your pick-up truck can qualify for passenger class plates if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight. What does NY DMV call your Ram? A TRUCK. The next important word of the sentence is QUALIFY, meaning you have to meet the requirements to get passenger plates otherwise it gets registered as a truck.

Contrary to what you state that NY DMV does not write the laws, NY DMV DOES write the laws in NY State regarding vehicle registration, licensing, and vehicle definitions, plus much more. Its very existence is for that purpose. And those laws are enforced by the police. Ask me how I know.........maybe 35 years in law enforcement as well as being an attorney.

You fail to grasp that the NY State requirement for a rear defroster pertains to a PASSENGER CAR and NOT a truck. A Ram is NOT a passenger car. It is defined as a TRUCK. But NY allows you to register your TRUCK as a passenger car if you meet the criteria I posted above and in my previous post. The fact that a Ram is considered a TRUCK first allows a dealer to order it WITHOUT the rear defroster. After the truck is sold then you can apply for passenger plates if you qualify by meeting the requirements in the BOLD section above. Take your own advice........READ

as I told you if you can read its not from DMV so maybe if you want look up what I gave you and stop writing me

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

also the State of New york over rules DMV

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Pay particular attention to this DMV is run by the State of New York and they make the laws not DMV besides you live in NJ so whats your thing with this

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Pay particular attention to this DMV is run by the State of New York and they make the laws not DMV besides you live in NJ so whats your thing with this

WOW....you are truly dense. I did not care to engage you in this debate but you made TWO replies remarking about my post. The first reply I ignored but after YOU pinged me a second time you made me respond due to your seriously incorrect, flawed and nonfactual post while trying to fault what I had posted.

The NY DMV is a department in the NY State government. Its function is regulate and pass laws regarding vehicle registration in NY. There is no "the State of New York over rules DMV". DMV WRITES THE LAWS AND RULES OF NY STATE regarding registration of vehicles in NY. What do you not grasp here?

You say: "State of New York and they make the laws not DMV". Ah....NO. WRONG again

And finally..........did you read my post where I mentioned my time in law enforcement? After serving in NEW YORK STATE as a police officer/detective I became a federal agent. That of course meant I got transferred around some. My last duty assignment was in New York City and I lived in NJ while serving in that office. Have a nice day, I will NOT reply to you any further........

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK meatball here it is the State runs the DMV like Ive been saying also MY truck and two other Friends had their rear windows installed on Rams dime meaning in the invent you don't understand they paid for like in free because of the New York State Law don't know what your reading but believe me Ram is not paying for anything they don't have to also here is one you live in NJ one of the rear windows was put in by Sansone in the state of NJ so I guess I must imagine all 3 windows being put in because of the law also Please stop hounding me over this with all your alerts P>S your in NJ>> has nothing to do with NJ

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can someone please confirm if this is the connector for a power slider? I have a 2019 Classic Express so I didn’t think it would have that wire harness. If it is, I’m gonna have to check the overhead console to see if the switch connector is there. That would make this upgrade a hell of a lot easier for me...

CB90DAC2-9E77-4102-978C-4D38E80FEEAC.jpeg

5FC5F987-19B3-4E28-95D0-7BDD4BF54A9A.jpeg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Can someone please confirm if this is the connector for a power slider? I have a 2019 Classic Express so I didn’t think it would have that wire harness. If it is, I’m gonna have to check the overhead console to see if the switch connector is there. That would make this upgrade a hell of a lot easier for me...

View attachment 228780

View attachment 228781

Doug....go to this link for a thread on this website: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/electrical-rear-window-upgrade.147520/page-5#post-2140516

See my post #50

The second and third photos down show the red connector that hopefully you will find in the headliner above the overhead console. The fourth photo shows a 2 orange wires with a connector which is the same as you already found. That 2 orange wire section is part of the repair harness that is bought to make your own harness which is what I did since I was not as lucky as you in already having the power window harness. Nice score for you! Any other questions feel free to reach out.

EDIT: Doug.....Just reviewed the thread I linked above and saw that you already had read that thread. Sorry for the duplication.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes that looks like the correct wiring. The wires are the correct colors and the connector looks correct. As stated check to see if you have the connector for the switch in the overhead console. It should be a red 6 pin connector with 5 wires. If it your truck does have the correct wiring it will be the first Express/Tradesmen I have seen that does.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk