Adding LED 3157 bulbs + Load Resistors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novalok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adding LED 3157 bulbs + Load Resistors - Need Help

I've looked for wiring diagram on here and im sure someone has said it before but i couldnt find anything with the search feature...

Vehicle Information:
2012 Dodge Ram Ext Cab Express 5.7 Hemi
Morimoto 50w 6k HIDs
Recon Third Brake Light
PlasmaGlow led lightbar for under tailgate - Bout to be uninstalled - Worthless *************
Stock Tail Lights - Candy Black Painted 6 layers with Clear coat
Right now I have a retro solution led side emitting bulb but it sucks...

Soo heres what my upgrade is going to be!

921 XP50 Cree Reverse Bulb - Shop DSK - Down South Kustoms

I know the reverse bulb doesn't require a resistor however I know the next upgrade does

3157 XP80 Cree Brake/Turn Signal Bulb - Shop DSK - Down South Kustoms

As well as a set of these 50w 6ohm resistors with quick splice connectors - Shop DSK - Down South Kustoms

So the question i have is ... Which wires do i splice into on my 12 dodge... I cant ever find a clear answer other then signal and ground line...... Colors? Any help is much appreciated :)

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
The 2 outer wires. black is ground, middle is parking, opposite of ground is turn.

I'd like to see a comparison of the ones you have now vs the DSK ones too. ;)

Ruiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ask Thomas Hawkins from DSK, he should be able to tell you.

Glad you're shopping DSK, great guys and good deals. Use RamNation for 10% off.

OP
OP
N

novalok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2 outer wires. black is ground, middle is parking, opposite of ground is turn.

I'd like to see a comparison of the ones you have now vs the DSK ones too. ;)

Will do... Is Retro-Solutions isn't your gig too is it?... I mean the two styles of bulbs are completely opposite... R-S bulb doesnt look bad but it really just is a led emitted light the only light you see is from the lights themselves making the reflector housing pointless... The DSKs emit light from all 4 sides plus the projector like globe on the top ... Idk from pics the DSKs win hands down but i'll def do some R-S vs DSK pics and let ya'll decide!

Ask Thomas Hawkins from DSK, he should be able to tell you.

Glad you're shopping DSK, great guys and good deals. Use RamNation for 10% off.

Yeah I talked with him some on the phone yesterday! seems like a nice guy. Just ready to get tall my stuff in :)

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Will do... Is Retro-Solutions isn't your gig too is it?... I mean the two styles of bulbs are completely opposite... R-S bulb doesnt look bad but it really just is a led emitted light the only light you see is from the lights themselves making the reflector housing pointless... The DSKs emit light from all 4 sides plus the projector like globe on the top ... Idk from pics the DSKs win hands down but i'll def do some R-S vs DSK pics and let ya'll decide!

Yeah I talked with him some on the phone yesterday! seems like a nice guy. Just ready to get tall my stuff in :)

I'm not Retro-Solutions, I'm RetroShop :buttkick: ;)

The fun part about the 4th Gen Ram tails......directing light into the reflectors didn't produce much output for throw out the back. The reflectors......well, just didn't help so RS created a bulb that didn't need to use them, and directed the light right out via the high power CREEs. Having light on all 4 sides will be bright, but not sure how the throw will be - but.......I haven't seen them to compare. The projector one on the top......well.........thats not going to do anything in the 4th Gen tails. anything pointing up on them.....well..........yeah, doesn't go anywhere.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I've looked for wiring diagram on here and im sure someone has said it before but i couldnt find anything with the search feature...

Vehicle Information:
2012 Dodge Ram Ext Cab Express 5.7 Hemi
Morimoto 50w 6k HIDs
Recon Third Brake Light
PlasmaGlow led lightbar for under tailgate - Bout to be uninstalled - Worthless *************
Stock Tail Lights - Candy Black Painted 6 layers with Clear coat
Right now I have a retro solution led side emitting bulb but it sucks...

Soo heres what my upgrade is going to be!

921 XP50 Cree Reverse Bulb - Shop DSK - Down South Kustoms

I know the reverse bulb doesn't require a resistor however I know the next upgrade does

3157 XP80 Cree Brake/Turn Signal Bulb - Shop DSK - Down South Kustoms

As well as a set of these 50w 6ohm resistors with quick splice connectors - Shop DSK - Down South Kustoms

So the question i have is ... Which wires do i splice into on my 12 dodge... I cant ever find a clear answer other then signal and ground line...... Colors? Any help is much appreciated :)

You still get those ones from the towtruck place?

I forgot what wires I spliced but my resistors came with the wire splice connectors that you can plug and un-plug. I knew black was ground, just tested them on the other two wires to see what worked.

OP
OP
N

novalok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You still get those ones from the towtruck place?

I forgot what wires I spliced but my resistors came with the wire splice connectors that you can plug and un-plug. I knew black was ground, just tested them on the other two wires to see what worked.

No i ended up switching to Down South Kustoms for my reverse light he was atleast til friday out and couldn't get them to respond at the tow shop.. i started doing some research and it seems they order some chinese knock offs of what DSK gets.. not to say thye arent good or quality just rather have a warranty backing my bulbs

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Umm, I hope that's not the case. That would mean they would be the same ones I got from china that didnt work.. Siiiizzz

They should be here tomorrow so we will see.

OP
OP
N

novalok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Umm, I hope that's not the case. That would mean they would be the same ones I got from china that didnt work.. Siiiizzz

They should be here tomorrow so we will see.

I received my reverse lights today... doing install in a bit :)