AFR sensor install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good day,
Just wondering if anyone has installed one of these Air Fuel ratio gauges in their trucks. If so, does this sensor have to be installed before or after cats?
My current setup is a little different. I have long tube headers with both downstream 02 sensors tuned out. Now before this, I tried using the foulers with no luck. So I left everything as was and my tuner, tuned them out. My question is can I just leave the fouler in and switch out the sensors for the one that came with my AFR gauge? This fouler, from what I have tried thus far, seems welded into the exhaust pipe. I don’t weld and don’t have anyone that can weld where I’m at. If I use this fouler, will I get the right reading? It’s at the correct angle and such, just don’t know about the gauge reading correctly if it plugged directly into the fouler. I have not cats and this fouler is back beside my T case (custom True dual). Thanks for any info.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Good day,
Just wondering if anyone has installed one of these Air Fuel ratio gauges in their trucks. If so, does this sensor have to be installed before or after cats?
My current setup is a little different. I have long tube headers with both downstream 02 sensors tuned out. Now before this, I tried using the foulers with no luck. So I left everything as was and my tuner, tuned them out. My question is can I just leave the fouler in and switch out the sensors for the one that came with my AFR gauge? This fouler, from what I have tried thus far, seems welded into the exhaust pipe. I don’t weld and don’t have anyone that can weld where I’m at. If I use this fouler, will I get the right reading? It’s at the correct angle and such, just don’t know about the gauge reading correctly if it plugged directly into the fouler. I have not cats and this fouler is back beside my T case (custom True dual). Thanks for any info.

You just need an O2 **** to place the wideband O2 sensor into before the cats, driver side preferably.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You just need an O2 **** to place the wideband O2 sensor into before the cats, driver side preferably.
If you are using a single wideband O2 sensor I second RedSRT4Me's recommendation. I out mine just a few inches downstream of the original upstream O2 sensor in the left (driver) side.

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I have it going on the driver’s side. My dilemma, if you will, is can I use the fouler that seems To be “stuck” in the welded **** I currently have as I have anew afr sensor that came with my gauge. Will this fouler cause any issues with afr level reading correctly?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah I have it going on the driver’s side. My dilemma, if you will, is can I use the fouler that seems To be “stuck” in the welded **** I currently have as I have anew afr sensor that came with my gauge. Will this fouler cause any issues with afr level reading correctly?

Ideally the sensor should be in the exhaust stream,got access to a torch,even a little propane version to heat the **** and see if you can get the 02 spacer/anti-fouler out Lye.If it won't come out with heat,odds are it's galled the threads and you'll have to get nasty to remove it,then run a 18mm tap through it to chase the threads,or just weld in a new **** and cap that one off.The instructions with your guage will tell you where to mount the new ****,alot of them will even have you mount it right in the collectors of the header

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I’m Going to get out there this morning and unhook the sensor, grab my torch, a long 7/8 wrench and my mallet and giver until she breaks loose. Will see how she sitting after it’s out. I have a **** that came With the kit although no welder. It’s an AEM gauge with everything I need. Thanks for the info everyone!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah I’m Going to get out there this morning and unhook the sensor, grab my torch, a long 7/8 wrench and my mallet and giver until she breaks loose. Will see how she sitting after it’s out. I have a **** that came With the kit although no welder. It’s an AEM gauge with everything I need. Thanks for the info everyone!

They do have a strap on **** available ,you just drill a new hole,then strap the **** onto your pipe.

No-Weld O2 Sensor Mounts and Bungs | AEM 30-2355-*** (aemelectronics.com)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

If you have a buddy with a welder,you can make your own Lyle,just go to Crappy Tire or your local AutoParts store and get a TorqueTight clamp the size you need,and then weld the extra **** that comes with your gauge to it,and voila you've built a duplicate of the one in the picture,lol

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They come With a gasket from what I saw after looking at them. Plus I’d throw on the muffler cement as a back up seal anyways. I think I’ll
Just check at the local auto parts store for a clamp and just see if I can get someone here to weld this **** on or just weld this **** right to the exhaust
Pipe instead. Can’t depend on anyone here though lol. They say yeah I’ll
Do it and I still have to ask them next month. I’ll figure something out. However at the moment, she’s to cold Out there to do anything. Cleaned off my side door way and didn’t bother getting the front done yet. Hopefully later on today but I doubt it.

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, took a torch to the fouler and used a socket and ratchet with an extra bar to pry on and the fouler snapped off! Good thing there was enough of the thread left in the fouler that I could plug the Exhaust with the 02 sensor. So, went on good ol Amazon and bought the AEM no welding 02 sensor ****.

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Done now. I used muffler cement as an added safety around the clamp to ensure no leaks. Ran the power off my cig lighter as I don’t use it. sensor right beside the collector running up through the engine bay into fire wall. Pretty fast and easy using that no weld clamp/****. Now have to go for a few drives and see how she does.