Aftermarket LED Tail Light for NON LED Factory models working with LED models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

numba20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie. it has the factory LED tails. I bought a set of Spyder after market tails for the truck. they clearly state it is not for the LED tail models. I remedied that by buying two 3157 sockets and wired them up. I have the tails working now. but just barely. Truck is still hyper flashing. I didn't know if it would considering the factory lights were LED. but it does. getting errors that the revers lights, turn signals, and third brake light are not working. all of which are LED now, and all of which do work. I followed this tutorial.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2013/docs/ram/ramelm.pdf
(admins I hope that link is okay)

it says to cut wire 27. white/grey and take pigtail side and ground. I did that. it doesn't say what to do with other side, so I taped it off. this should have remedied any fault codes for rear lights. it did not. Are the factory LED versions different? it is different for 2014 vs 09-13? I can't find the page now, but while searching, I found one link that said to ground a wire in the engine bay somewhere. I have resistors if I need them, and I am aware I can have the dealer tune it out, but I really hate my local dealer and don't want to give them any business I don't absolutely have to.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’re doing a lot of very unnecessary work while there are aftermarket LED tail lamps on the market for non factory LED rams. I have to ask. Why did you not just get led tail lights specifically for your factory tail light style?

Hope you figure everything out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkaa40474a9fbce8db4af109fc77c1f494.jpg

OP
OP
N

numba20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't believe it is understood that from the factory, RAM make two types of tail lights. one is halogen using 3157 bulbs, one is LED from the factory, it has circuit boards behind the lights, no bulb replacement available. my tail lights have one pigtail. of which consists: two grounds - one for reverse light, and one for the LED board, positive wire for parking lights, and one positive wire for turn/brake which is on the SAME wire, and lastly there is a wire known as the "fault sense" wire (which is currently unhooked - and I now believe there is no getting around leaving it unhooked. the grounding of the #27 pin was supposed to resolve this but apparently only for NON LED factory models.) However, I do not know where or how this wire needs to be incorporated. and without destroying a $300 set of factory tail lights I'm not sure I can find out. Anyone have a diagram for the 2014 LED tail lights?

Also I put in 6ohm 50w resistors in for the reverse lights and turn/brake function. Did nothing. it was at this moment when I realized that it has to be the fault sense wire.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't believe it is understood that from the factory, RAM make two types of tail lights. one is halogen using 3157 bulbs, one is LED from the factory, it has circuit boards behind the lights, no bulb replacement available. my tail lights have one pigtail. of which consists: two grounds - one for reverse light, and one for the LED board, positive wire for parking lights, and one positive wire for turn/brake which is on the SAME wire, and lastly there is a wire known as the "fault sense" wire (which is currently unhooked - and I now believe there is no getting around leaving it unhooked. the grounding of the #27 pin was supposed to resolve this but apparently only for NON LED factory models.) However, I do not know where or how this wire needs to be incorporated. and without destroying a $300 set of factory tail lights I'm not sure I can find out. Anyone have a diagram for the 2014 LED tail lights?

Also I put in 6ohm 50w resistors in for the reverse lights and turn/brake function. Did nothing. it was at this moment when I realized that it has to be the fault sense wire.

Oh I misunderstood I thought you said you didn’t have factory LEDs. Yeah there is a reason why they say on their site that the will not work for factory led trucks. Because they won’t work. Not only that spyder has always been a bad brand for aftermarket lighting. I recommend sending them back and get a set of morimotos or recons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

numba20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/2016/docs/ram/ramelm.pdf

another tutorial. this one specifies about the fault sense wire, and how to wire it to a relay. looks complicated in the circuitry. voltage is supposed to fluctuate with the light and that is how the truck detects weather or not the bulb is working. hmm. Going to try this. Will let you all know for future references.

OP
OP
N

numba20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Oh I misunderstood I thought you said you didn’t have factory LEDs. Yeah there is a reason why they say on their site that the will not work for factory led trucks. Because they won’t work. Not only that spyder has always been a bad brand for aftermarket lighting. I recommend sending them back and get a set of morimotos or recons

well I just found the recons, and they appear to be the same as the Spyder's. but I love the look of these tails. only thing is my color combo (black with a white U and clear lens) isn't available. they make them with a red U and my truck is white. either way though my current issue would exist. They seem nice.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well I just found the recons, and they appear to be the same as the Spyder's. but I love the look of these tails. only thing is my color combo (black with a white U and clear lens) isn't available. they make them with a red U and my truck is white. either way though my current issue would exist. They seem nice.

recon is very high quality. Plug and play on my truck with no issues. 11b9b15cfda23fc4d649b09fff891e36.jpg

aa4eeacbf98b8623c180285a530d6e82.jpg

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The problem is that he went from factory LED to an aftermarket incandescent style. You should have purchased the aftermarket spyder ones for LED

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie. it has the factory LED tails. I bought a set of Spyder after market tails for the truck. they clearly state it is not for the LED tail models. I remedied that by buying two 3157 sockets and wired them up. I have the tails working now. but just barely. Truck is still hyper flashing. I didn't know if it would considering the factory lights were LED. but it does. getting errors that the revers lights, turn signals, and third brake light are not working. all of which are LED now, and all of which do work. I followed this tutorial.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2013/docs/ram/ramelm.pdf
(admins I hope that link is okay)

it says to cut wire 27. white/grey and take pigtail side and ground. I did that. it doesn't say what to do with other side, so I taped it off. this should have remedied any fault codes for rear lights. it did not. Are the factory LED versions different? it is different for 2014 vs 09-13? I can't find the page now, but while searching, I found one link that said to ground a wire in the engine bay somewhere. I have resistors if I need them, and I am aware I can have the dealer tune it out, but I really hate my local dealer and don't want to give them any business I don't absolutely have to.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Retroshop.us

I had regular 3157, went to Sport smoked LED's

20160515_203728.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh my, you all need to read the OP again

He started with OEM LED tail lights and wanted to go to a different aftermarket LED Tail Light.

Sorry I do not have an answer for the OP but I can read most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

He started with OEM LED tail lights and wanted to go to a different aftermarket LED Tail Light.

Right. But why would he buy aftermarket led tail lights specifically for oem halogen tail lights when he could have bought aftermarket led tail lights for oem led tail lights? It specifically says WILL NOT WORK FOR OEM LED TAILLIGHTS. Which means it will not work. He’s going through all the effort when he can just get the ones that actually are made for his truck.

Jwrobson84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a set of spyder headlights and tail lights for my previous 08 ram. Biggest pieces of crap ever, headlights had moisture in them within 2 days and didn't line up to the body properly. Taillights had alignment problems as well which I was able to correct, however after a month I had led bulbs already going out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a set of spyder headlights and tail lights for my previous 08 ram. Biggest pieces of crap ever, headlights had moisture in them within 2 days and didn't line up to the body properly. Taillights had alignment problems as well which I was able to correct, however after a month I had led bulbs already going out.

Yeah they’re pretty much trash

Jwrobson84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah they’re pretty much trash

Yep, I had great luck with the ones I ordered from Amazon, I dont remember the brand but they where 100 times better than the spyder. Spyder offers some great looking lights but are the worst quality.

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

The problem is that he went with an aftermarket incandescent and he had stock LED so i think you should read it again. That is where is problem is. He should have went with aftermarket LED not incandescent(halogen)

“I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie. it has thefactory LED tails. I bought a set of Spyderafter market tails for the truck. they clearlystate it is not for the LED tail models.”

OP
OP
N

numba20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so I put in the relays today. the right side was accepted immediately but the left I couldn't get working. decided to try to hook the #27 pin wire back up and viola! working. so the wire the first tutorial told me to ground must be the the halogen factory trucks or 2013 and older or something. in my truck it was the left rear fault sense wire. Put the factory 3rd brake light back in after a cheap LED **** out on me so I hope the resistor works up there, but it should from what I am seeing from others. Only thing I have doubts about is when the turn signal is on, the relays click like the instrument panel. All is working now without error. time will tell. if you have LED factory tail lights and you want aftermarkets, here is what you need:
2 3157 bulb socket
2 921 (I think thats the reverse light size) bulb sockets
2 12v 30a 4 pin relays
2 6ohm 50w resistors for reverse lights
wire splices, wire nuts, or whatever kind of connectors you choose to use.

It can be done!

OP
OP
N

numba20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The problem is that he went from factory LED to an aftermarket incandescent style. You should have purchased the aftermarket spyder ones for LED

I had no idea anyone made LED versions...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie. it has the factory LED tails. I bought a set of Spyder after market tails for the truck. .... I have the tails working now. but just barely. Truck is still hyper flashing. I didn't know if it would considering the factory lights were LED. but it does. getting errors that the revers lights, turn signals, and third brake light are not working. all of which are LED now, and all of which do work.

Last sentence states clearly that they are LED now so that was my confusion sorry looks like I made the mistake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88