Air Lift???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
Went camping this weekend and loaded the truck and noticed the rear end sag a little so now I'm thinking about put the AirLift helper bags in my truck. I would only need them every now and then, so I do not think I will install a compressor. I have seen guys talking about the AirLift 1000's. Any other recommendations? When not in use what psi do you keep the bags at? If you're not using them much does it affect the life of the bag?

I do some lite towing, a 2-place snowmobile trailer, and a 4 place once a year. Both enclosed and are 101" wide.

Wish I would have order the air ride now.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO if you tow and don't have these things you're nuts LOL
They're under $100, super easy to install and you don't know they're there until you pump them up.
You keep'em at a minimum of 5psi to keep them from getting pinched, but they're not noticeable. They almost completely eliminate sag, and help with trailer sway. I though air was dumb, but am a complete convert. They ROCK!
Awesome investment.

Edit- when factory air systems go bad, it;'s ugly and expensive, If something fails on the Airlift system you can replace just that part easily, and drive the truck in the mean time.

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
I went with the Air Lift 1000's because that's what everybody I saw here uses. I am super happy with them for the price of admission. Simple to install but can be frustrating sliding the bags between the coils. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours to get it done. Make sure to take your time and be smart with how you rout your air lines so they don't get torched by the exhaust or get pinched/stretched through vibration and movement.

I keep mine at the recommended 5psi and never know they are back there. A must for anybody that tows or loads up the bed anywhere near the GVWR.

OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
Thanks, I assume the instructions will tell what PSI to run them when loaded. Or is it more of a feel and look thing?

"when factory air systems go bad, it's ugly and expensive," That is why I did not order the factory to begin with, at the last second when buying the truck, I went with the life time bumper to bumper warranty. Which would have covered the factory air system.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After installing the bags you air them up to 35psi, and test the system after 24hrs to see how much was lost.
For towing, 30 psi is the recommended max although you can play with the range from 5-30 to see what works for you. With the rear of my truck lowered 2" I put the bags right at 30psi and it tows our trailer with near factory comfort.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
love my Air Lifts, they were cake to install, start to finish was about 45 minutes for me...getting the rear off the ground makes it simple trying to put the bags in place...took longer to run the lines :p

when I connect my trailer and WDS, my truck doesn't sag at all, rear feels a bit stiff, I was runnin the bags about 20# but have since lowered to about 10-12#. since I have done that, it's gotten way better.

This past weekend I just lowered my hitch as well, since the tongue of my trailer was up a bit and the weight going to the back of the trailer, causing some sway action at higher speeds, which I was not getting on my older truck.

I think i'm finally getting it all dialed in on the new truck, tho ..will be towing my camper for about 120 miles come Friday, hopefully I got it right now..

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
The preferred method for airing up for towing is to add 35psi before you load up the truck. Then just drop the pressure to the point where the truck is level. I like to air mine down as much as possible to maintain the best ride comfort.