Airbag light only from passenger seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi All, I've got an intermittent air bag light that goes on and off while someone is moving around in the passenger seat. I inspected the wiring/connector and looks good but I'll replace the seat harness just in case I missed something, and it's not that expensive.

I read the code and confirmed it is the passenger seat, I'm not surprised.

Is there also a sensor in the seat to detect if someone is sitting there?

Edit: I have a 2012 regular cab ST

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't found any info about an occupancy sensor so these trucks probably don't use them. I'll be replacing the seat back air bag harness first this week. Seems when someone is leaning onto the seat back is when the light and ding goes on and off.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can download a free pdf copy of the Ram manual/s ..do a search on this site. I bet the answer is in the SRS troubleshooting tree.....

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can download a free pdf copy of the Ram manual/s ..do a search on this site. I bet the answer is in the SRS troubleshooting tree.....
Thanks. I'll see if I can find them.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also worth noting ...I've had two vehicles in the past ..one Jeep, one GM, where the yellow SRS connectors didn't snap in like they should and eventually came loose. The connectors couldn't come apart, but were loose enough to fail the self-test. Since you bought a new harness, maybe you'll get lucky and that'll solve your issue. Let us know.

I'm pretty sure there's got to be an occupant switch ...because SRS systems these days are progressive (multi-stage) depending on the severity of an impact ... but I haven't specifically looked it up on Rams..

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also worth noting ...I've had two vehicles in the past ..one Jeep, one GM, where the yellow SRS connectors didn't snap in like they should and eventually came loose. The connectors couldn't come apart, but were loose enough to fail the self-test. Since you bought a new harness, maybe you'll get lucky and that'll solve your issue. Let us know.
Will do. Harness is coming this week and should have installed next weekend.

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I'm pretty sure there's got to be an occupant switch ...because SRS systems these days are progressive (multi-stage) depending on the severity of an impact ... but I haven't specifically looked it up on Rams..

Took the seat apart to install the new airbag harness. Definitely no occupancy sensor. The only wiring to my seat is the pair of wires for the air bag. Good news is no more light. I inspected and tested the old harness and couldn't find anything wrong with it, but glad it's fixed now for only $43 for the new harness.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the update.. congrats!