almost want to never offroad again! need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I've heard nothing bad about duratracs myself. When it comes to tires I usually recommend Cooper STTs or Toyo Open Country MTs but I don't know if they'll fit your needs on wet roads. I live in Florida and rain is practically an everyday thing and my Cooper STTs do very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
A friend of mine had them on his old Dmax and didn't have a single complaint
He rotated them religiously and got 40K+ miles from hem

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
It sounds like you need to be a little bit smarter in the future.. You have no money and your tires are bald but you're out doing donuts? Then you blame this on your friend because he told you to? Would you jump off a bridge if he told you to? Next time think, this is absolutely your fault. Learn from it young man. That being said, I hope this doesn't hurt your wallet too much because I know first hand how tough it can be. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
MT's?
And yeah i saw that too ***** $350+ per tire hahaha
And I like a couple xd's and fuel wheels, i want a tire not so wide and maybe a bigger rim, i got 315,75,16 and its a bit wide imo, but I also am not an expert, but now my truck has no problem moving those honking bfg at's lol.

I am not sure so correct me if im wrong but I saw a size 285,70,18 i believe and its a 35 i guess, would that be à better size to run rather then what i got as far as width? And also another question, whats with run sizes and tire sizes? I see a 9 for the wheel and 11.5 for tire? Does that work or do you have to match, or how does that work?

And go her back today. Steering is like butter, put a smile right on my face :) got the gearbox changed out, Ball joints, also had to do power steering pump, and threw in some brake pads and the alignment for free, paid $770 in total, so it was a bit, but a hell of a lot cheaper then i had thought itd be, definetly going back there too.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
MT's?
And yeah i saw that too ***** $350+ per tire hahaha
And I like a couple xd's and fuel wheels, i want a tire not so wide and maybe a bigger rim, i got 315,75,16 and its a bit wide imo, but I also am not an expert, but now my truck has no problem moving those honking bfg at's lol.

I am not sure so correct me if im wrong but I saw a size 285,70,18 i believe and its a 35 i guess, would that be à better size to run rather then what i got as far as width? And also another question, whats with run sizes and tire sizes? I see a 9 for the wheel and 11.5 for tire? Does that work or do you have to match, or how does that work?

And go her back today. Steering is like butter, put a smile right on my face :) got the gearbox changed out, Ball joints, also had to do power steering pump, and threw in some brake pads and the alignment for free, paid $770 in total, so it was a bit, but a hell of a lot cheaper then i had thought itd be, definetly going back there too.

Toyo Open Country MT.

You might be able to move them, but if your running less then 4.56 gears your drive train probably hates you lol. That size when I run it through a convertor came out at 34x11.2 r18. Generally the rule of thumb is your tire is 3" wider then your wheel is. So if your wheel is 9" wide, you can go up to a 12" wide tire.

Was PS pump eh? Sounded like it. Glad you got it all sorted out and its working well for ya! Thats a good price for all that work.

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
Yeah Everyones said that the axle swap would prob be needed for 35's on my truck i just dont know if they swapped axlesand regeared or what but it was setup to tow he said, and also idk if its Lifted at all but its got 35's so it must be bigger then stock, does have airbags but they fit without air too.

And thanks, yeah it was so crazy what it took to move my truck without ps, big honkin tires but im 6'3'' and big, i am very strong and couldnt get it 90 deberes, took a buddy to help get it back home and then afterwards to the shop but its like butter now and im loving it!

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah Everyones said that the axle swap would prob be needed for 35's on my truck i just dont know if they swapped axlesand regeared or what but it was setup to tow he said, and also idk if its Lifted at all but its got 35's so it must be bigger then stock, does have airbags but they fit without air too.

And thanks, yeah it was so crazy what it took to move my truck without ps, big honkin tires but im 6'3'' and big, i am very strong and couldnt get it 90 deberes, took a buddy to help get it back home and then afterwards to the shop but its like butter now and im loving it!

If its 5 bolt then no its not swapped, and why all your balloints went on ya. 35's just wreak havoc on 1500 front ends. Got any pics of your set-up? If gears werent mentioned its prob 3.55.

I know what its like, my idler pulley f'ed off on me last summer, dropped the belt off and lost all the accesories lol. That was fun :D

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
Lol ill have to take a peek and post a couple pics cause i am still Learning the ropes, but ill get undet her today and if they did swap thats awesome for me but if they didnt prob bad with 35's, but I havent had any problems except this so idk if they did swap or not, wouldnt you guys think more stuff would ho wrong toating 35's on the 1500, plus my probably 300+ pound at least bumper/grill guard

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How long ya had the truck?

With 35's and that big (freaking sweet) bumper, probably a yearly job for balljoints and hubs.

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
I havent quite had it a year but am getting there but I had someone else tell me in 3 months he had went through numerous parts including ball joints

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I havent quite had it a year but am getting there but I had someone else tell me in 3 months he had went through numerous parts including ball joints

I had 35's for a few months and went thru 4 ball joints, a wheel bearing and track bar lol. Needless to say they disappeared pretty quick!

rebel89820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Not trying to hate by ANY means, but I've been running 35's on half ton drive train for 3 years now, and never had any issues at all... I hunt hard in Nevada mountains... pretty rugged stuff... and play harder on occasion... this truck eats n ***** mud, mountains, rocks, and snow lol, and it will climb a telephone pole if u let it haha. I totally agree with the opinions on the D60/D70 swaps, cuz bigger IS better... BUT .... that's one hell of an expense- at least 1k for even junkyard axles, then u gotta buy 8 lug rims- another 600 & that's if u go ugly lol (imho:D) my '01 off-road has 4:10's, 35's, with LSD in rear & posilok in front, and I'm getting 13.5-15 mpg @ 2150-2200 rpm on hwy (75mph) and it will still light 'em up from a dead stop so the 4.56 gears with 35" tire "rule" just doesn't make sense to me. MAYBE if I did a lot of driving in 4hi but around here its 4lo off road, cuz w/ 8 or so inches of lift, 4hi speeds would bounce my poor bride out her window lol. ANYHOW... lol, I know I'm getting long winded and not even sure if this is the place to post this rant haha, just wanted to let the new-2-ram crowd know that 3/4 ton running gear and 4.56 gears are definitely great on paper, although harsh on a wallet, but most definitely not a necessity to run 35s on a 1500. I know from my own experience that new guys actually do listen to all of you gurus (mad props to Johnn123, guy knows his ****, rock on brotha!) I'd just hate to see an up n comer pass on a bad-ass 2nd gen just cuz its sitting on 35s with only 5 lug nuts. Idk, maybe mines the exception to the rule... but if u knew me n my luck, you would know that if there was a lemon to be bought, I'd have found it lmao. Again, hope I didn't **** in anyone's Cheerios, just wanted to throw a lil insight out there :cool:

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I'll add my 2c to this subject. I have owned my truck since new, yep 17 years now. For many years it was stock height and ran 285/75r16 tires and was just fine. About 6 years ago I went to 315/75r16 and thats when front end parts started going out left and right in the front end, yearly balljoints and tre's, hub bearings, tires and so on. I also live in the mountains and not some little hills either. I did the dana 60/60 swap last summer and have been loving it ever since. I have not had to put a penny into it since then. Is the 60/60 swap cheap hell no but I am already saving labour and parts costs by doing the swap. I would guess it cost me about $2000 (no labour costs) by the time it was all installed.

I will agree with Johnn123 33's is max for the puny D44 in the front end, the 9.25 can handle the 315/75r16's just fine.

Would I buy a 1500 again NOPE 2500 all the way.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Not trying to hate by ANY means, but I've been running 35's on half ton drive train for 3 years now, and never had any issues at all... I hunt hard in Nevada mountains... pretty rugged stuff... and play harder on occasion... this truck eats n ***** mud, mountains, rocks, and snow lol, and it will climb a telephone pole if u let it haha. I totally agree with the opinions on the D60/D70 swaps, cuz bigger IS better... BUT .... that's one hell of an expense- at least 1k for even junkyard axles, then u gotta buy 8 lug rims- another 600 & that's if u go ugly lol (imho:D) my '01 off-road has 4:10's, 35's, with LSD in rear & posilok in front, and I'm getting 13.5-15 mpg @ 2150-2200 rpm on hwy (75mph) and it will still light 'em up from a dead stop so the 4.56 gears with 35" tire "rule" just doesn't make sense to me. MAYBE if I did a lot of driving in 4hi but around here its 4lo off road, cuz w/ 8 or so inches of lift, 4hi speeds would bounce my poor bride out her window lol. ANYHOW... lol, I know I'm getting long winded and not even sure if this is the place to post this rant haha, just wanted to let the new-2-ram crowd know that 3/4 ton running gear and 4.56 gears are definitely great on paper, although harsh on a wallet, but most definitely not a necessity to run 35s on a 1500. I know from my own experience that new guys actually do listen to all of you gurus (mad props to Johnn123, guy knows his ****, rock on brotha!) I'd just hate to see an up n comer pass on a bad-ass 2nd gen just cuz its sitting on 35s with only 5 lug nuts. Idk, maybe mines the exception to the rule... but if u knew me n my luck, you would know that if there was a lemon to be bought, I'd have found it lmao. Again, hope I didn't **** in anyone's Cheerios, just wanted to throw a lil insight out there :cool:

Sent from my DROID RAZR

He's not saying you're going to have problems with 35s on 1/2ton axles. Just expect the typical maintenance to become more frequent. I have 35s on the 'ol 44/9.25 with 4.88s and have also run 36s and 33s on them. Its just a fact that the bigger the tire the more wear is going to occur. Its not like he's saying your truck is going to explode by running 35s on stock 1/2ton axles.

rebel89820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I realize all that, & Thx for all the help and wisdom... guess I really would like to do the swap now that its actually paid for, time to start throwin that cash at the fun stuff... anybody know where I can find remote res shocks for less than a left nut? Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I realize all that, & Thx for all the help and wisdom... guess I really would like to do the swap now that its actually paid for, time to start throwin that cash at the fun stuff... anybody know where I can find remote res shocks for less than a left nut? Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR

The average price I see for them is $200 a pop, cheap compared to coil-over shocks :).

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
So besides the yearly, the obvious with rubbing. I can tell I rub some when I turn, how could I fix that? I know probably lifting or leveling and right now I'm low on cash, just got some stuff fixed but just for reference, to properly got THESE tires and wheels I need to be lifted more I know. 2 inch level should fit these right? Again 315,75,16 bfg at's, and as far as size would say 285,75( I think it's 75)18 which is a 35 be better or lighter/less wide then the 315,75,16?

Thanks for all the help with stuff lately guys. Big help as my dads not a part of my life and I could care less but I got no men to help me really, so I for the most part learn on my own

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357