An old 400 buildsheet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Digging through my computer, I dug up an old buildsheet that I had scribbled up for a hot, 400 low-deck build. From what I've gathered, the old 400 Mopar blocks are among the strongest ever built and can reliably handle a ton of power.

I'm gonna post the basic stuff from my buildsheet here and I'm just curious to know how much power such a build could make. Also, I drew this up figuring an 8,000 RPM redline. Is this reasonable? Of course, I'd love any criticism or suggestions to make it better. One of these days, if I never get around to buying a Viper, I might just take this path. Hell, some dude around here had a '73 Charger with a factory 400 engine that had the extra thick casting. ****, if I had the $3,000, I would've grabbed that without a second thought...

So, here's what I've got...

1. ICON forged pistons + rings. +.030 bore, 1.322" compression height, +12cc volume.

2. Eagle 4340 forged connecting rods. 6.76"

3. Eagle 4340 forged crankshaft. 3.75" stroke, thicker "RB" mains (would punch the journals on the block)

4. Trick Flow 240 PowerPort assembled heads. Aluminum, Intake/Exhaust valves: 2.19/1.76, Intake/exhaust runner volume: 240/74cc, +78cc chamber volume

5. Cometic MLS head gaskets. .056" compressed thickness, 4.38" bore

6. Trick Flow Track Heat single plane intake manifold. 3,000-7,000 RPM operating range.

7. Crane R-260/420-2S-8 mechanical roller camshaft. Intake/exhaust valve lift: .630/.630, Intake/exhaust duration: 260/268, IVC: 54 degrees

8. Holley 4150 HP. 1,000 CFM, square-bore, mechanical secondaries

Using calculators, courtesy of Wallace Racing, the engine, with a zeroed deck, should generate 9.9:1 static CR and, with the aforementioned camshaft, 8.48:1 CR. This is approaching the limits of premium pump gas but I think with proper tuning, it should work dandy and generate maximum power that can be allocated with pump gas.

So, what do y'all think this build could make? In regards to power vs reliability, I'm looking to lean more towards power and utilize the stoutness of the Mopar 400 design to take care of reliability.

All comments/criticism/suggestions welcome. In regards to criticism, please don't just say "buy a Hellcat" because I'm not looking to buy anything more modern than a '99 Ram, which I already have. I would want this to be just as much unusual as it would be powerful.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
With those ratio's and bore sizes, I would put it in the range of 6 to 800 hp, 7-900 lb/ft, that's going to be an awesome build man. Please keep us updated.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
LOL, oh, this isn't anything that's going to happen any time soon (unless I win the lottery, right?) but I basically want to file away a "whoop ass" build if/when the time comes around.

Drawing up hypothetical buildsheets is a hobby of mine (helps keep my engine knowledge from getting stale) and this is one of my personal favorites. Just something totally radical in a properly set-up car that's just ridiculous yet is quite obtainable. My favorite builds are those that are within the financial realm of an average working guy (the "Junkyard Jewel" 318 comes to mind).

Oh, and I quite like those numbers. This isn't something that I would intend to be daily driven but when it is, it ain't meant to go softly. ;)

Last edited: