And... I got a coilover problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
I installed these coilovers on Saturday, got an alignment today and decided to test them out a bit. Early on I noticed there is a click on the driver's side but not the passenger side. When I looked at the coilovers I noticed that on the driver's side the middle piston that sticks out the top was much higher on the driver's side than the passenger side. I have looked online and haven't been able to find anything about this. Any ideas wtf I did wrong or could I have a bad coilover?
Here's a pic of both sides:
coiloverproblem1.jpg coiloverproblem2.jpg

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Won’t be long before the other side does it too.

The washer goes under the top hat.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those come completely assembled, all you do is put them in and tighten the 3 nuts on the studs to 25 ft-lbs and the lower bolt. It's not like Bilsteins that require assembly of the strut itself.

I think you just got a bad coilover

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
They are Fox 2.0 coilovers. I'll dig into it tomorrow and check for the washer. Thanks for the heads up.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
You’d think for $800 they’d know how to properly assemble their own product. Fox, if you need a guy to help pokayoke I might know a few people.

now me and the mad scientist have to rip apart the control arms to replace the coilover.

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Prob somebody with experience on that style CO can comment. It doesn't seem right to see the shaft on that side will be sticking out a little more. From the install video from American Truck they seem to follow certain orientation and one of the studs is supposed to have a green mark indicating that's the one that will be facing you/outside of the truck when you're installing the CO. If you did the install it'll take you 30 min to make it right :), easy peasy.
Check min 11:32 here

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Prob somebody with experience on that style CO can comment. It doesn't seem right to see the shaft on that side will be sticking out a little more. From the install video from American Truck they seem to follow certain orientation and one of the studs is supposed to have a green mark indicating that's the one that will be facing you/outside of the truck when you're installing the CO. If you did the install it'll take you 30 min to make it right :), easy peasy.
Check min 11:32 here

Thanks, I knew about the green dot going on the outside, but this is kind of irrelevant because the coilovers will only go in one way anyway.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Now that I think about it, there is nothing to change here. You can't remove that upper nut without a spring compressor so removing it to change the position of the washer wouldn't make any sense. I think I might have a bad unit here.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now that I think about it, there is nothing to change here. You can't remove that upper nut without a spring compressor so removing it to change the position of the washer wouldn't make any sense. I think I might have a bad unit here.

I agree. If they are pre assembled fox units then I think you got a bad one. I put these on my wifes denali, and they are bolt on and def should not do that.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
I agree. If they are pre assembled fox units then I think you got a bad one. I put these on my wifes denali, and they are bolt on and def should not do that.
Thanks, I contacted the company the sold it to me asking for a warranty.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is it too soon to ask how the ride is with the Fox 2.0 set up? did you install the rear shocks also?
Thinking of going with these eventually when I need to replace the factory ones. Anyone tow heavy with them?

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it too soon to ask how the ride is with the Fox 2.0 set up? did you install the rear shocks also?
Thinking of going with these eventually when I need to replace the factory ones. Anyone tow heavy with them?

My trailer is about 7500lbs with a 1,000 tongue weight. I pull with a Ram 1500. No complaints with the Fox 2.0 while towing, hauling, off-road, or on road.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You’d think for $800 they’d know how to properly assemble their own product. Fox, if you need a guy to help pokayoke I might know a few people.

now me and the mad scientist have to rip apart the control arms to replace the coilover.
I like the fast and the furious innuendo there lol

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
The ride other than the front driver's side seems super solid. The spring rate is a little higher than I thought it would be coming out of the box but they also haven't settled yet.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This a nice review of the Fox 2.0 system granted is not out of a RAM but a Ford Ranger so is apples to oranges considering the weight differences. But you ought to think the valving for the RAM 1500 kit has been optimized for the the RAM weight so at least in terms of riding compliance and general guidelines on what to expect with your system, this should be fairly close.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a chance a top perch got rotated at the factory?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93