Any interest for paddle shifters? ( 8 speed )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm going to buy: 1YH75DX9AC, which is the back of our steering wheel. I'll see what it takes to modify.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was going to return the wheel, since I paid for a "perfect condition" wheel and received one that had a fair amount of damage to the leather. But the seller gave me a pretty decent refund.

So I tore the thing down. This is what we need to make happen.

2014-07-28%2022.35.08.jpg

2014-07-28%2022.35.34.jpg

Can you find the part number for "COVER, Steering Wheel Back" for a 2013 Charger? I'm curious to know if it's the same as a Ram. The wheels have a very similar spoke pattern.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have a prototype steering wheel harness that I made. The harness will interface the new paddle shifters/radio controls with the Ram's steering wheel forward facing buttons and the connection back to the truck.

The harness I made will not connect to the horn, but that is an easy fix. Sometime in the next few days, I'm going to connect the new paddle shifters and radio controls with my harness and see if it works from an electrical stand point. If everything works, I just need to figure out how to make a clean steering wheel shroud for the back of the wheel.

Mebirkle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this may sounds dorky... but I was thinking of this need yesterday.

How about something that is wireless that just sits on top of the buttons and just pushes them when you click the paddles in the back of the wheel. Everything would be custom, would run on batteries (paddle 1, paddle 2, receiver that has two motors for left button and right button.

I know there are issues with this idea such as ugly thing sitting on the buttons plus running on batteries. I'm thinking that the receiver could be small enough that is pushing the buttons.

It would need very little mods except for mounting and would not void a lease (which I have)

Thoughts?

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

this may sounds dorky...

I know there are issues with this idea such as ugly thing sitting on the buttons plus running on batteries

...................................................................................................................

not to be a Grinch there Mebirkle

but I think you nailed it in your first thoughts

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this may sounds dorky... but I was thinking of this need yesterday.

How about something that is wireless that just sits on top of the buttons and just pushes them when you click the paddles in the back of the wheel. Everything would be custom, would run on batteries (paddle 1, paddle 2, receiver that has two motors for left button and right button.

I know there are issues with this idea such as ugly thing sitting on the buttons plus running on batteries. I'm thinking that the receiver could be small enough that is pushing the buttons.

It would need very little mods except for mounting and would not void a lease (which I have)

Thoughts?
I like the idea of complete reversibility, but definitely wouid't want some box sitting on top of the buttons unless it was really thin, say 1/8-1/4 inch, and small enough in other dimensions to be unobtrusive.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you need a custom steering wheel rear shroud, you may be able to 3D print one cheap.

I'm most definitely in on this. I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Synister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is a cool idea. Good to see that jeepguy is involved in this. He is an artist when it comes to wiring harnesses. I bought the harness to wire up a rear view camera and it was flawless. Keep up the good work guys. Definitely subscribed

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like this idea. I was thinking about it the other day for my 14 CC sport. But are the buttons on the steering wheel actually gear selectors? The owner's manual just makes it sound like a device to specify the top gear (ie if you're towing and don't want it to shift past 6th).

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a prototype steering wheel harness that I made. The harness will interface the new paddle shifters/radio controls with the Ram's steering wheel forward facing buttons and the connection back to the truck.

The harness I made will not connect to the horn, but that is an easy fix. Sometime in the next few days, I'm going to connect the new paddle shifters and radio controls with my harness and see if it works from an electrical stand point. If everything works, I just need to figure out how to make a clean steering wheel shroud for the back of the wheel.
Did you use the paddles from the 200 that you got off eBay?
If so I think the thing to do would be to mount the paddles from the 200 just inside the switches on the truck's rear shroud. From what I remember when I was adding the audio controls to my wheel. I believe there is enough room there to get the job done. I just am not sure how to get the paddles mounted clean and secure to the truck shroud so they aren't loose or floppy.

bluesport2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would love to know more about this and would love paddle shifters in my truck is there any progress