Any interest for paddle shifters? ( 8 speed )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You guys do understand the difference between the automatic transmissions that allow a person to choose the gear they want and our transmissions right?

xlr8 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I would not be here if I wasn't looking, I believe it could be done using the original wheel. Fixed paddles utilizing the wheel buttons is the easy part. My question is how to mount the paddles to the wheel and still look factory. On the back of the wheel there are knock-outs for the radio control buttons (my Ram 1500 does not have) so maybe using those ports might keep it clean.

Aaron Gilliam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I’m sorry I know this maybe a stupid question but what is a paddle shifter?

I had column shift in my express and converted to floor shift.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
@DeereGuy

This is something that M² Mods definitely need to look into... :Big Laugh:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was a fellow member up in Canada who actually made this work and IIRC the audio controls still work, used some Mercedes paddle shifters.

Dont think he wanted to make anymore though

Aaron Gilliam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Paddle shifters:

z7.jpg

z4.jpg
Ahh awesome. Thank you for that. I wasn’t sure what it was lol. IMHO, they maybe be useful for some but I don’t think it’s worth the time on a truck. Install andloor console with floor shifter and then you can manually up and down by side to side motion or leave it in D.

Just my opinion. But looks cool! Haven’t seen it in a truck yet. I emphasis yet. It could be done and here’s how.

Take the original column shift switch pad that’s in the shift lever (has the canbus chip and ID built in) and make some sort of lever to mount on the column that would press that switch. It definately wouldn’t be an oem thing.

Jalsaeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RIP JEEPGUY, But on something he started I would like to continue, as I recently accuired a Ram 1500, I was out dune bashing and first gear wouldn't stick unless I select 1st from the two stupidly placed buttons on the front of the steering wheel, believe me doing some technical turns while trying to set the gear desired is practically difficult. Long story short I went to the scrappers and got my hands on a Chrysler 300c steering wheel with paddle shifters, I was able to get out of it the paddles, covers & wiring.

I'm gonna test fit and see if all works, in a couple of weeks and if all is good I'll order the back shroud for the steering wheel.

I only have one concern as the Chrysler steering wheel has the heating option and my ram doesn't have one.

I also checked on AlfaOBD the ability to enable paddle shifters on the Ram and it seems possible.

d47515529667bc76f453fc39a487e7a9.jpgc750447475e52283f46a10f67a526d98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
RIP JEEPGUY, But on something he started I would like to continue, as I recently accuired a Ram 1500, I was out dune bashing and first gear wouldn't stick unless I select 1st from the two stupidly placed buttons on the front of the steering wheel, believe me doing some technical turns while trying to set the gear desired is practically difficult. Long story short I went to the scrappers and got my hands on a Chrysler 300c steering wheel with paddle shifters, I was able to get out of it the paddles, covers & wiring.

I'm gonna test fit and see if all works, in a couple of weeks and if all is good I'll order the back shroud for the steering wheel.

I only have one concern as the Chrysler steering wheel has the heating option and my ram doesn't have one.

I also checked on AlfaOBD the ability to enable paddle shifters on the Ram and it seems possible.

d47515529667bc76f453fc39a487e7a9.jpgc750447475e52283f46a10f67a526d98.jpg

The AMG paddles from a Mercedes fit better. I have the AMG paddles in my truck,they were a plug-n-play kit my buddy in Edmonton was building a few years ago.He no longer builds them though,as everybody just wanted him to tell them how to do it,and wouldn't actually buy his kit.It finally pissed him right off,and he said to hell with it,lol.Do a search on here,for posts by Charonblk007,Kurtis posted pics of my paddle shifters a few years ago.

Jalsaeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The AMG paddles from a Mercedes fit better. I have the AMG paddles in my truck,they were a plug-n-play kit my buddy in Edmonton was building a few years ago.He no longer builds them though,as everybody just wanted him to tell them how to do it,and wouldn't actually buy his kit.It finally pissed him right off,and he said to hell with it,lol.Do a search on here,for posts by Charonblk007,Kurtis posted pics of my paddle shifters a few years ago.

Couldn't find a member by that name, I would love to know more about his kit before I start anything.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Couldn't find a member by that name, I would love to know more about his kit before I start anything.

Oops had to many zero's search for Charonblk07

Jalsaeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the link, I like the setup done but I'm still going the Mopar route as I have all the parts needed for this to work minus the rear shroud, If all works I'll be more than happy as I am in this for less than $60 currently. If my setup didn't work I will definitely research the AMG shifters.

The steering wheels were redesigned back when Daimler/Mercedes owned Chrysler,and the AMG paddles fit into the back cover almost like Daimler/Chrysler were thinking of adding them.There's a virtual perfect cut-out in the back cover for the aluminium AMG paddles to fit

MCMLXIX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI R/T
Has anyone come up with a complete and detailed solution?
Parts List - Instructions - Photos/Video

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
Want...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Has anyone come up with a complete and detailed solution?
Parts List - Instructions - Photos/Video

Either wait till Brandon comes up with his kit and buy it,or you can buy one of Dylans paddle kits for 1200 bucks.The other option is figure it out yourself by spending some money on trial and erroring it together. Once you figure it out post a parts list and video. If you want them bad enough,you should have no problem buying one of Dylans kits or waiting till Brandon comes out with his kit and buying it. Guys that are building them to sell probably aren't going to tell you how they built them,that doesn't work in the real world these days,lol

Last edited:

Jalsaeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gave it a shot again, the car is reading the Paddle shifters as you can see in the video. I have programmed the BCM for Paddle shifters via AlfaOBD but the car wouldn't shift although it is getting a signal out of them. I'm really confused from this point onwards on how to tackle it!
I might as well just hard wire the paddles into the original button shifters and see if that works.