Any Tesla radio installs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I got mine in today. Went in pretty easily the biggest issue I had was that the harness for the climate control isn't "keyed" properly. My truck has the harness for the trailer brake but not the unit so I actually first goofed and plugged the trailer break in as the climate control... so when I turned on everything my climate control did it's own thing. Finally figured out that got it all back together and had to run out.

Haven't had much time to play with things. @61N150W there is a setting for Metric VS American for the units, as well as 12hr and 24hr for the clock. My bigger issue is that the damn clock won't keep time. When I power off the truck and turn it back on it changes time. The clock on the radio displays 12hr like I pick but the clock in my cluster is showing 24hr. I'm sending them an email hoping I"ll get some answers.

Until I get the install video and some time using it I"ll offer this teaser photo of it installed.

IMG_20180126_163354.jpg

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I got mine in today. Went in pretty easily the biggest issue I had was that the harness for the climate control isn't "keyed" properly. My truck has the harness for the trailer brake but not the unit so I actually first goofed and plugged the trailer break in as the climate control... so when I turned on everything my climate control did it's own thing. Finally figured out that got it all back together and had to run out.

Haven't had much time to play with things. @61N150W there is a setting for Metric VS American for the units, as well as 12hr and 24hr for the clock. My bigger issue is that the damn clock won't keep time. When I power off the truck and turn it back on it changes time. The clock on the radio displays 12hr like I pick but the clock in my cluster is showing 24hr. I'm sending them an email hoping I"ll get some answers.

Until I get the install video and some time using it I"ll offer this teaser photo of it installed.

View attachment 118938
Yeah, I've messed with all the setting to try and get my cluster to display properly. Still no luck. The head unit itself is all correct though.

Side note: how did you get your temperature on your climate control to over 160°?!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this is awesome and I want one...I think. I have a couple questions for you guys if you get a chance.

1. Is there any way to change the background and lose the two tone Ram on the display?

2. Did it come with the GPS receiver for those of us without factory gps?

3. Can you delete any app? Like the factory igo nav and replace it with google maps etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah, I've messed with all the setting to try and get my cluster to display properly. Still no luck. The head unit itself is all correct though.

Side note: how did you get your temperature on your climate control to over 160°?!!!

It starts at like 150° no clue what's going on with it haha. Also I can adjust the passenger side temp but it just displays "high or low" in the climate screen which is odd.

Yes you can change the background image mines a car right now ‍♂️. There's a video on YouTube how to do it, gotta check it out myself. Yes it comes with the GPS which you have to use even if you have factory and yes you can use any apps you please.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I am gonna have to get one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwend

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it me or does this seem like there are way too many bugs in this thing? The concept is awesome but it feels like you’d have to overlook a bunch of little “inconveniences” to actually use it. I’m curious to see if there is after sale support and if there are any functionality improvements.

gnbryant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it me or does this seem like there are way too many bugs in this thing? The concept is awesome but it feels like you’d have to overlook a bunch of little “inconveniences” to actually use it. I’m curious to see if there is after sale support and if there are any functionality improvements.
I'm with you. I guess I'm just way too **** about things being like they "should" be. I'm leaning towards a non nav unit from infotainment. It's still twice the [emoji383] but it will work. Bought from them before when I had my Wrangler and they were great.
Gotta admit though, these do look awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I'm starting to think all this glitchiness isn't for me. I really don't want to take out something that works perfectly to spend $700+ on something that looks cool but doesn't work properly

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It absolutely does not work perfectly. If you want perfect go for "tried and true" systems. As in if you have an 8.4Nav leave it, if you have anything less upgrade to an 8.4Nav. This is for that extra "wow" or "hell yeah". Look around you really won't find this style unit in a "tried and true" form. My guess would be is because of the information and how it pulls from the system, maybe they would need licensing from Fiat/Chrysler? (no clue, just making an assumption). The new 5th gens will have a 12 inch option in some of the trims. So maybe down the road we'll see more units LIKE this out there and sure you could buy it from another source for a big mark up but I'm willing to bet the units are the same, maybe the programming is a little different and maybe the support will be better (US based) but again, big price difference.

Okay now back to the unit. I was able to get it to keep proper time! Just had to go into the "more settings" and set it properly in the android style settings as well as the unit settings. My cluster still displays 24HR vs the 12HR which I have set. So, that's one issue out of the way - sort of.

Sound quality is good, to me sounds the same as my stock unit, the built in microphone is not nearly as good as the stock, which doesn't surprise me. A little surprised they couldn't tap into the stock microphone though. Unit takes about 30 seconds to boot up but after the first few seconds (once the screen actually comes on) you can shift in Reverse and the camera will come right up.

So I was able to change to get the RAM vehicle to display on boot and as my background. I want to correct what I said before, I don't believe you can load a custom photo of your truck sadly. If however the correct vehicle is not showing you need to go into an additional setting panel. Go to settings > System Vers press and hold on the dialog box, type in 7890 and unchck "default logo" restart the truck and now that issue is fixed.

. The MPH info displayed is also way off, not sure if the unit just can't refresh fast enough or what is going on but its a good 5-10 MPH lower then actual speed (who cares, honestly I have a digital cluster AND a physical speedometer). The theme is also not great, so that may be a reason to go with phoenixandriod if the provide a better theme. I'm still early in the testing phase, I may end up deciding to go back to stock but want to give this a fair and complete chance.

Last edited:

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
And one more quick update (this is why I'm waiting to release a video on the unit) The espony cargo models also have additional themes installed. For a quick video showing how to do it see the random youtube video below

I'm also testing out a dashboard app to use which is a bunch more useful than the stock setup as far as quick access to apps and what not.

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For me it just seems a neat option for less than half the price of a "correctly", in my eyes, done 8.4N swap. Youre looking at $1400 for that. $650 for this.

EDIT: If you change themes though, doesnt it remove the Ram from the background?

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For me it just seems a neat option for less than half the price of a "correctly", in my eyes, done 8.4N swap. Youre looking at $1400 for that. $650 for this.

EDIT: If you change themes though, doesnt it remove the Ram from the background?

As far as "correctly" done are you referring to a stock 8.4 or something else?

Changing up the theme does not alter the vehicle that is shown, at first mine was showing a car I had to go into the settings (same as what that video shows) and turn off "default logo" that seemed to fix it and now I get the Ram. The theme just lays things out differently. Using a different dashboard launcher like I discuss, yes that changes the appearance and "gets rid of" the truck picture.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'm not sure where everybody is coming up with $1400 for a RA4 conversion. You can easily find an RA4 for let's say $500, actually you can find them cheaper but lets say 500. You can buy a bezel all day long for $75 from LKQ so now you're at $575. The heater control module will set you back around $80 Max so now your at $655. You will need the conversion harness Plus 911 delete plug that you can get from M2 mods a vendor on the forum for around $140 (give or take not sure of the exact price but it's ballpark). Now you are at around $795 for the total RA4 conversion. I totally understand why a lot of people want to try this new radio. It is definitely a nice looking piece. For me personally it seems like it has a few too many glitches for me right now and my RA4 works perfectly with my truck. My point is if you don't pay Infotainment they're highly inflated prices for selling us back what we figured out you can do an RA4 conversion for approximately the same price as a new Tesla style radio within a few dollars either way. One other note there is no specific programming they do for your particular vehicle. All they do is update the firmware on the radio and sell it. It's the same firmware we can get from the Chrysler website and do our self for free.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, mostly Im referring to the kit from infotainment as it replaces the AC controls with the correct ones without the little knob sticking out.

However, if there are other 8.4N options, let me know as Ive been out of the game for a few months now so who knows what's changed.

And that kinda sucks, cause Im not a fan of the two tone Ram in the background. I wish you could change that to another image. That may honestly be enough to get me to do something else. Disappointing.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, mostly Im referring to the kit from infotainment as it replaces the AC controls with the correct ones without the little knob sticking out.

However, if there are other 8.4N options, let me know as Ive been out of the game for a few months now so who knows what's changed.

And that kinda sucks, cause Im not a fan of the two tone Ram in the background. I wish you could change that to another image. That may honestly be enough to get me to do something else. Disappointing.
It would be exactly the same thing they sell but at half the price. The conversion harness they sell to do the upgrade was actually invented on the Forum by our members not by them.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It would be exactly the same thing they sell but at half the price. The conversion harness they sell to do the upgrade was actually invented on the Forum by our members not by them.

This...when you buy from them you are really just paying a premium (read double) to have everything you need given to you all at once. To some people it's worth it ...i don't get it though.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been following along for a little bit. I am torn too between an 8.4N setup vs the "Tesla" style setup. The fact that the screen is so much bigger with more versatility is drawing me in even more so.

Being as it is android based, whether rooted or not (better rooted) then anything is possible with these units as far as appearance. Fully meshing with the Ram system is another beast.

Edit: As far as boot times, well, I don't think there is anything that can be done about that unless it stayed powered 24/7.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another quick note I just experienced with this unit:
It's a beautifully sunny afternoon here at the moment. I just left the office with my polarized sunglasses on and I could have sweared the unit wasn't working. It was, I just couldn't see a thing.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Another quick note I just experienced with this unit:
It's a beautifully sunny afternoon here at the moment. I just left the office with my polarized sunglasses on and I could have sweared the unit wasn't working. It was, I just couldn't see a thing.

So the glass is polarized too. That's a nice touch so long as you aren't wearing polarized glasses too! My phone screen is the same way.

Manofmayhem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED 3.0
This...when you buy from them you are really just paying a premium (read double) to have everything you need given to you all at once. To some people it's worth it ...i don't get it though.

Do you know where I can get a UAQ unit other than infotainment? I really wanted to upgrade but it's $1,600 which is why this Tesla style was so appealing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca