Any Tesla radio installs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My unit should be here on Friday according to UPS tracking. Might even be able to get it installed this weekend if it does show up!

Manofmayhem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED 3.0
My unit should be here on Friday according to UPS tracking. Might even be able to get it installed this weekend if it does show up!
I'm excited for you! And excited for me. If you love it and can give a full account of your findings, I will likely buy one. I want to add a front camera and cargo camera and this unit has the RCA inputs from what I've seen. Looking forward to hearing your experience!

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was "supposed" to be in today. It just left Taiwan an hour ago [emoji24]

New delivery date... 1/29. This is getting ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alrighty, the unit is here!
I was super rushed to get it in. I plan to pull it back out next week to add a few things.
I will say, it's going to take some time to setup. Install wise; I did it in about 45 mins. There were basically NO instructions, but most is straightforward.
I'll try to answer whatever questions you guys may have. I haven't had much time to mess with it just yet.
On a happy note, I installed an aftermarket backup cam (similar to OEM from Amazon) and to my surprise, the guidelines were active! Wasn't expecting that.7b4ce09aeb87935f3e481d497fd9ea12.jpga59e34cd36658ee97a4597f16ef93dc6.jpged8fc9b39ba7a48e6843b76edfe59c82.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Did you see how many camera inputs it had? Front, back, cargo, left, right?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you see how many camera inputs it had? Front, back, cargo, left, right?

I believe there are 4 inputs.
-Rear
-Front
-Right (which I find weird)

And in a separate app
-DVR

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I believe there are 4 inputs.
-Rear
-Front
-Right (which I find weird)

And in a separate app
-DVR

Interesting...are they programmable or fixed based on where they are plugged in?

Manofmayhem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED 3.0
Couple questions off the top of my head:

1- did you have any issues with any connectors?
2- do you still have 7 speed fan selection?
3- how are the volume and HVAC controls? Are they responsive and are you finding it an easy transition?
4- how is the audio quality?
5- is it running Android 4.4.4 or something higher?

Looking forward to your observations and reviews!

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Couple questions off the top of my head:

1- did you have any issues with any connectors?
2- do you still have 7 speed fan selection?
3- how are the volume and HVAC controls? Are they responsive and are you finding it an easy transition?
4- how is the audio quality?
5- is it running Android 4.4.4 or something higher?

Looking forward to your observations and reviews!

1) no problem at all with the connectors
2) No! As far as I can tell, it downgraded me to 4 speed. I still need to test this out as I hear there is a way to change that.
3) I use my steering wheel moat often, so not much change for me. But yes, it will take gaining a little muscle memory to quickly find them on the screen. As for the responsiveness, everything reacts nicely.
4) so far so good on audio quality. I feel it's on par with my stock radio. I think the equalizer has more mobility on this new unit.
5) As expected, it says it's running 6.xx but I plan to run a test on that within the next week.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alrighty, the unit is here!
I was super rushed to get it in. I plan to pull it back out next week to add a few things.
I will say, it's going to take some time to setup. Install wise; I did it in about 45 mins. There were basically NO instructions, but most is straightforward.
I'll try to answer whatever questions you guys may have. I haven't had much time to mess with it just yet.
On a happy note, I installed an aftermarket backup cam (similar to OEM from Amazon) and to my surprise, the guidelines were active! Wasn't expecting that.7b4ce09aeb87935f3e481d497fd9ea12.jpga59e34cd36658ee97a4597f16ef93dc6.jpged8fc9b39ba7a48e6843b76edfe59c82.jpg

OMFG that's awesome!!! I sure wish there was a way for me to put this in my 2010 Ram. ah well looks great man!

Manofmayhem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED 3.0
Thanks for the answers! As you are familiarizing yourself with it's capabilities, one other thing I am curious about are the USB (data) and SD inputs in the center armrest and their functionality. Are you able to play data files (mp3, mpv, .mov etc) from both? Essentially can you use your phone or SD card as a drive for music and videos. Have fun playing with it this weekend!

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll start making a list of things that aren't so great too. As I was expecting at this price point, there are going to be some goofy things. Hopefully some of them can be figured out, while others may just be how it is.
Right off the bat, I have a few issues I plan on contacting them about.
1) on my premium cluster, all units of measure (except speed) are now reading metric. Also, the clock on my cluster is now in 24 hour format.
2) this may be installer error, but my radio reception is really pretty poor. I'll check my connections on that to make sure the antenna didn't pop out.
3) when playing music through a USB stick, the music freezes/pauses at random times.
4) my beloved active guidelines; I started the truck and promptly put it in reverse and the guidelines didn't budge. Perhaps the unit needs more time to boot.
5) As mentioned earlier, I had 7 speed fan control. As of right now, it only gives me 4 levels (but 7 bars visually)

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the answers! As you are familiarizing yourself with it's capabilities, one other thing I am curious about are the USB (data) and SD inputs in the center armrest and their functionality. Are you able to play data files (mp3, mpv, .mov etc) from both? Essentially can you use your phone or SD card as a drive for music and videos. Have fun playing with it this weekend!

For sure, I'm guessing it will take a lot of monkeying around to get familiar with it.
As for your questions:
I tested it with a .mov and that worked just fine. While driving around, I have a USB in the center console (I have a jump seat) and it plays the music off there but I'm having problems with some files randomly freezing or temporarily pausing. The connector does add an addition USB female connector, which I left dangling behind the dash. I'm curious if I would have the same issue using that as the source.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Glad yours came in! Funny the tracking on mine has been spot on, even came in to the US by you (Anchorage AK) it's on the truck today to me. Hopefully when I get mine in and setup I can help answer a bunch of these questions along with you.

As far as the "right" camera input, it's weird I've seen some videos out there showing "left/right" and when you hit the turn signal that camera comes on. So if this is the operation behind them then a right camera SORT of makes sense, since that's the opposite side of the vehicle. Will be interesting to see how that can be played with.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad yours came in! Funny the tracking on mine has been spot on, even came in to the US by you (Anchorage AK) it's on the truck today to me. Hopefully when I get mine in and setup I can help answer a bunch of these questions along with you.

As far as the "right" camera input, it's weird I've seen some videos out there showing "left/right" and when you hit the turn signal that camera comes on. So if this is the operation behind them then a right camera SORT of makes sense, since that's the opposite side of the vehicle. Will be interesting to see how that can be played with.
Yeah, mine was all over the place. It was even here in AK for a day, then left to CA (probably a sorting facility?), then came back the next!
This is only the last of two pages worth of tracking in this screenshot.
I guess what I thought was weird, was to offer a right, but not also a left. 0b096162063d9ae81ad79b66ca665909.jpg

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll start making a list of things that aren't so great too. As I was expecting at this price point, there are going to be some goofy things. Hopefully some of them can be figured out, while others may just be how it is.
Right off the bat, I have a few issues I plan on contacting them about.
1) on my premium cluster, all units of measure (except speed) are now reading metric. Also, the clock on my cluster is now in 24 hour format.
2) this may be installer error, but my radio reception is really pretty poor. I'll check my connections on that to make sure the antenna didn't pop out.
3) when playing music through a USB stick, the music freezes/pauses at random times.
4) my beloved active guidelines; I started the truck and promptly put it in reverse and the guidelines didn't budge. Perhaps the unit needs more time to boot.
5) As mentioned earlier, I had 7 speed fan control. As of right now, it only gives me 4 levels (but 7 bars visually)

These are almost all data (can-bus) issues. I would be surprised if they could resolve them.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These are almost all data (can-bus) issues. I would be surprised if they could resolve them.
There is a "canbus box" that attaches to the rear of the unit that is supposed to tackle these issues. That unit needs to be programmed correctly and I think they may have missed the ball there, at least on mine.

I am running into a few other issues/annoyances so I'll continue to update as I figure them out. I did have the entire unit fail to boot under 5 minutes this morning. It was right around 0°F this morning and that may have played a role. I don't mind being the guinea pig on this.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There is a "canbus box" that attaches to the rear of the unit that is supposed to tackle these issues. That unit needs to be programmed correctly and I think they may have missed the ball there, at least on mine.

I am running into a few other issues/annoyances so I'll continue to update as I figure them out. I did have the entire unit fail to boot under 5 minutes this morning. It was right around 0°F this morning and that may have played a role. I don't mind being the guinea pig on this.

How did you get it to boot?

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did you get it to boot?

Did it on it's own. Was heading out to drop the kiddo off/head to work this morning. The truck had been autostarted, but timed out right before I hoped in the seat. Started it back up and promptly put it in reverse. It was on it's standard boot screen for the 30 seconds or so (normally would switch right to reverse cam, but didn't) and after that time passed, it went to an Android loading screen and sat there while I drove down the road. Was running late so didn't want to stop and mess with it. It Randomly finished it's boot about 5 mins into the drive and operated as normal for the remainder.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca