Anyone seen my driveshaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
WOW!! Glad you all are OK as that could have been a lot uglier. What will you do now? Think Chrysler might still cover it?
OP's truck is an 09, unless he has extended warranty he'll have to pay

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Dayum thats nasty... glad everyone was ok!

OP
OP
Sladerade

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There's nothing Chrysler can do, I have aftermarket gears and what not, technically I've already done the recall using aftermarket gears. Thank you for your link though! It's pretty expensive too

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ouch!!!! This makes me want to fab up a driveshaft safety loop.

Hopefully it didn't damage the trans, and you can find some junkyard parts to fix it, just costly.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sooo driving down the interstate passing a 18 wheeler BANG! What was that!? Pull over to the side of the road look under and my driveshaft fell out never to be seen again on the road. I don't even know the cost of repairs nor do I really care at the moment! I'm on vacation worry about that at the end of the week. Here are some pics of the damage. View attachment 52286View attachment 52287View attachment 52288View attachment 52289View attachment 52290

Honestly we where blessed the driveshaft didn't flip the truck. It fell out going 90 passing a 18 wheeler. T-case is shot to hell not sure if the transmission is affected either. I'm thinking that the rear u joint failed then BOOM the front just exploded. The circle clip where the front u joint bolts up have a slit. Like someone cut the metal!

Talk about a nice story to tell

Daaaaamn bruh. If I didn't know any better I'd think you're driving a 2nd gen afflicted with the t-case snap ring failure. All you probably need is a new t-case and shaft. Doesn't look like the case is ripped from the trans.

OP
OP
Sladerade

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's pretty much what happen. He dealer just ordered those parts. When I was talking to them that's all the said and hoping that's all what happened and same here as well

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All you probably need is a new t-case and shaft. .

And a clean pair of undies!!!!

I scattered a trans once at 'a very high rate of speed'

71 Mach 1 Fastback,,,

Broke the bellhousing / tailshaft housing / ujoint, etc,, Parts were scattering all over, about 6-12 inches from my leg/butt

Took 3 come-a-longs and a Porta-Power just to pull my undies outta my ****!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard of cases where people have talked to the Service Manager about a large failure, out of warranty, and the Service Manager has gone to bat for them with Chy. and asked the factory to help with some of the repair costs. I don't know if they help with parts or labor, but if your a good customer they might try to help you out. I wouldn't hide the fact that you have changed gears and I wouldn't lie about it but I wouldn't go in the door shouting about it either. It's worth a try---don't hurt to ask.
Jay

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've heard of cases where people have talked to the Service Manager about a large failure, out of warranty, and the Service Manager has gone to bat for them with Chy. and asked the factory to help with some of the repair costs. I don't know if they help with parts or labor, but if your a good customer they might try to help you out. I wouldn't hide the fact that you have changed gears and I wouldn't lie about it but I wouldn't go in the door shouting about it either. It's worth a try---don't hurt to ask.
Jay

'Goodwill' repairs... Rare, but they do happen.

Not sure if this applies, but my 09 had a lifetime powertrain warranty to the original owner,,,

Wouldn't cover aftermarket parts, but perhaps it was something in the t-Case that caused it, and had nothing to do with your parts,,,

Just be honest, don't be a ****, and expect nothing. Like PullYa said,,, Worth a try.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sladerade

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I will definitely try my best. I'm in a small town that I had to pre pay for the parts. I'm from Texas, the truck went down outside of Pensacola on our way to Orlando. I'll try hopefully they'll cover some of it