Anyone try Modifystreet headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Murphyjs6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Awesome, thanks. If you're in there, can you get pictures of the front side of the projectors? Wondering if I can fit a Bi-LED module or something in the OE spot.

I was thinking that too... Wondering if we could swap the lower unit with one of those pre-made RGB ones or if it's a custom job.
I was thinking about cutting the wire it's a pos neg connection that's all so if I was to get bright white and bright Amber I was just going to replace them. Still on the fence about it. Not fully certain on how led power sources work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Has anyone cracked these open to see how their LED modules for the DRL/Turn signal look? I'm on the fence about doing a LED "retrofit" with these lights...
I’ve got them open right now, painting them as we speak. Let me know what you guys want pics of. They’ll be opened till mid next week.
I’ll get some pics of the turn drivers.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I’ve got them open right now, painting them as we speak. Let me know what you guys want pics of. They’ll be opened till mid next week.

How's the park/turn layed out? How are the shrouds connected? How hard were they to split open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Murphyjs6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I’ll get some pics of the turn drivers.
Definitely how you opened them that would be great to know. Pry-bake-heatgun?
How the led boards are. Anything to look out for?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What those guys said!

Plus what are you replacing in them and what are you using to replace?

Wondering if it's worth to mod myself or wait for the next gen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ditto! And lots of pics... go ahead... you know you wanna. Lol. I'm also between the rock of DIY and the hard place of waiting for gen 2... or those other guys to get their "ship" together.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They were just as “fun” to open up as the factory projectors. Seems to be the same type of permaseal. I did 230 for 15 minutes and got them open in one shot.
The chrome projector shrouds are part of the facia mold and are not removable, so I had to tape off the chrome.
The led boards are top mounted to each the turn signal and DRL reflector housings.
I went with the profile pivot sequential turn switchback strips for the bottom. Leaving the top DRL as is, and painting them, that’s it.
I’ll post the pics in a little bit here.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
They were just as “fun” to open up as the factory projectors. Seems to be the same type of permaseal. I did 230 for 15 minutes and got them open in one shot.
The chrome projector shrouds are part of the facia mold and are not removable, so I had to tape off the chrome.
The led boards are top mounted to each the turn signal and DRL reflector housings.
I went with the profile pivot sequential turn switchback strips for the bottom. Leaving the top DRL as is, and painting them, that’s it.
I’ll post the pics in a little bit here.

How does the projector lens look? Good quality? Worth upgrading?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How does the projector lens look? Good quality? Worth upgrading?
I’m no lighting guru by any stretch, but compared to anything else I’ve had they seem fine to me. I’ve had the TYC projectors before, and used the Morimoto d2s projectors in them, and I couldn’t tell one difference between those and the ones that came with TYCs originally. These seem to be pretty much the same as both of those. I think that there comes a point with this retrofitting stuff that all you’re really doing is paying for a brand name with the exact same results.

Chutoyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Cummins
Sweet, Thanks for the pictures @Jimmy07. Since you have them open, do you know if the diameter of the projector lens is 2.5" or 3"? Also, could you post a "head-on" shot of the projectors? Doesn't seem like one of these will fit...

imoto-Mini-D2S-4.0-Bi-xenon-Headlight-Projectors-5.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sweet, Thanks for the pictures @Jimmy07. Since you have them open, do you know if the diameter of the projector lens is 2.5" or 3"? Also, could you post a "head-on" shot of the projectors? Doesn't seem like one of these will fit...

imoto-Mini-D2S-4.0-Bi-xenon-Headlight-Projectors-5.jpg
They are 3”.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I’m no lighting guru by any stretch, but compared to anything else I’ve had they seem fine to me. I’ve had the TYC projectors before, and used the Morimoto d2s projectors in them, and I couldn’t tell one difference between those and the ones that came with TYCs originally. These seem to be pretty much the same as both of those. I think that there comes a point with this retrofitting stuff that all you’re really doing is paying for a brand name with the exact same results.

Thanks. I current have Morimoto mini in quads. I know cutoff and lenses for hid and regular bulbs can/should be different.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Got mine installed today. I couldn't get the passenger side locking tab to lock but not worried about it now. Driver went smoother. Install the Hikari led's.

Also discovered that where the drl wire goes into the headlights there is a rubber seal it's just pushed through. You can push it back through by using the turn signal hole. It's a little bit of a pain but can be done.

For the drl's. I used the drl harness it came with, I happened to have the same connectors they used to connect the harness to the drl module so I made a section to go from that harness to the front end module. My truck was wired from the front end module to the bcm already so I didn't have to make those connections.

BCM C1/A

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/829-13627884-L?r=829-13627884-L

BCM C4/D

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/product/kostal-slk-28-female-sealed-20-18-awg-05-075-mm2-terminal

You'll need (should be the same on 13+ but @Jimmy07 may be able to confirm)

https://nexelec.com/YAZAKI-7116410202/

And

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aptiv-formerly-Delphi/15366021?qs=xyz6lfZ1ktLi71fiB65FCg== (these worked the best for me with 18ga wire)

These are the connectors they used

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014IU2EE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_85nQCbVYMEM0P

Use http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm#year_platform to verify where the dedicated drl pin locations are for your year.

After everything is wired and you already have drl's enabled (if not go to page 1 in alphaobd look for my name and click the Google drive link) go to body Computer 2013-17 > car configuration > CBC I/O Left/Right Dedicated DRL Lamp/Headlamp Leveling output >Select YES for both> CBC Features - DRL Lamp Location > Select Dedicated and you are all set.

Only grabbed one pic for now

a865552154d3376cef37eb23f60a0699.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
On even oem lights I had hard time getting those tabs in back to secure. I found on this install I used gun oil on the hole, then was careful to line up hole, both tabs secured right with no issues. Dodge/Ram, should have thought that tab thing through better, if was easier design would make lights so much easier. I need to find info on how to connect the drl, looking through your post to see if I can figure it out. I enabled drl in my tuner, but I'm not sure what drl is on these trucks? The yellow signal? Then where to tap wire from these lights, to signal wire or a fuse in fuse box.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
On even oem lights I had hard time getting those tabs in back to secure. I found on this install I used gun oil on the hole, then was careful to line up hole, both tabs secured right with no issues. Dodge/Ram, should have thought that tab thing through better, if was easier design would make lights so much easier. I need to find info on how to connect the drl, looking through your post to see if I can figure it out. I enabled drl in my tuner, but I'm not sure what drl is on these trucks? The yellow signal? Then where to tap wire from these lights, to signal wire or a fuse in fuse box.

If the drl was activated from the dealer it would be the high beams so your tuner would probably activate the high beams at 1/2 power. Have you ordered these lights already? I believe @Jimmy07 said his didn't come with the drl harness when he ordered through alpharex but I can confirm that ordering through Amazon my lights did come with a drl harness for these lights which connects to the drl wire on the headlights then to the battery and ground then to a keyed on fuse in the fuse box so you don't have to worry about having drl's activated by the dealership or tuner or alphaobd. I did a more "factory" approach to wiring in the drl's. I ordered all the pins prior to ordering these headlights because I thought about adding oem projectors and adding all the missing wiring to complete the projector conversion. If you get these or already have them and don't have the drl harness you should be able to essentially make your own by adding a relay triggered by a keyed on power source to turn on the drl light on the headlights

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Mine came with drl harness, has red and black that plug in behind light, I thought I only seen red when installing but I was rushing to beat rain. Then there's a box with fused red and black and a gray wire off box.

IMG_20190406_224434.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Mine came with drl harness, has red and black that plug in behind light, I thought I only seen red when installing but I was rushing to beat rain. Then there's a box with fused red and black and a gray wire off box.

View attachment 161963

Did you install the harness already? If not, the 2 red wires go to the lights then the box end with the fuse and grey wire go to battery/ground and the Grey goes to the fuse box to a keyed on source

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I’m still having trouble with mine. They work fine when I test everything out while parked, but when driving and activating the turn signals they work fine for about 3-4 flashes then I get a message that says left turn signal out and get the quick blinker. Same thing on both sides

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500 Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m still having trouble with mine. They work fine when I test everything out while parked, but when driving and activating the turn signals they work fine for about 3-4 flashes then I get a message that says left turn signal out and get the quick blinker. Same thing on both sides

Sounds like you perhaps require resistors or need to get the AlfaOBD app and set the lighting to LED turns/park lights so the truck isn't looking for incandescent bulbs.