Assistance needed, please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtruckfanatic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So to start with, sorry if this gets to be a long winded post. I feel details are needed to ensure nothing gets left out that may be important information to troubleshooting.

About six months ago my passenger headlight went out so I figured it was a burnt out bulb. No big deal, but then suddenly I didn't have high or lo beam lights. I went in and went to change bulb but to my surprise there were no burnt out bulbs. Doing some further digging I discovered that I had a faulty connection so I went from no headlights to no headlights and no blinker (which was also not burned out.)

I planned on upgrading to HIDs anyhow so I bought lights from Kensun, bought a new connector for my blinker and the relay with resistor for my lights. I swapped out connectors, installed my lights and went for the test. Here's where it gets fishy. I was never able to get my highs and lows to both come on and stay on when the truck called for them. The brights wouldn't stay on or the lows wouldn't be working. I triple checked all the connections, tried different ballasts, nothing.... Finally I got frustrated pulled it all out, placed my old bulbs back in. At this point I was still only able to use my low beam and my blinker worked. At least the vehicle was street legal and able to see sufficiently at night again. Things still weren't back to normal though. I went to back my truck out of the garage and nothing. I thought maybe when I was testing the lights I left something on that drained the battery. I pushed the vehicle out of the garage to jump it and that's when it all went very wonky. I hooked up the battery to both vehicles then went to check connections to ensure they were solid and verify they were good (Black on negative, red on positive; not my first rodeo...) Just the time it took me to turn around to look at other vehicle and back to truck, the positive cables teeth were glowing bright red and cable started to smoke. This isn't the first time this occurrence has taken place with this particular vehicle when using it to jump start another vehicle. The first time though I hadn't been messing with my headlights in that instance though. Has anyone seen or had anything like this happen with something like this? My truck will not start, has all sorts of dash lights flickering and reads all sorts of messages on the dash. Any useful suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all in advance.