Auto 4WD on 2014 Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dicksenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still doing research on Ram trucks...

Do the 2500's not have the auto 4WD feature? In all the ones I've looked at they just have the dial indicator of 2WD, 4WD Lock, and 4WD Low.

I use the auto 4wd feature on my 06 Silverado quite a bit during the winter time.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I don't believe they do, I could be wrong. I know that the 2012 2500's did not have the 4WD auto feature. Just 2WD, 4 wheel lock, and low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
99.9% sure there's no auto 4WD on these trucks. I just bought my 6.4 and did extensive research and have never seen/heard anything about it.

They do have a traction control thing which prevent spinning in 2WD. I'm wondering if/what it does for the front axle when in 4WD.... hmmmm. You've got me thinking.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
No. It's a real 4x4 system. Was your Silverado a 1500? I don't know any auto transfer case that could hold up to the abuse of a 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parkersdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
As far as I know they don't. This is why I buy the ST or tradesman model. I like my four-wheel-drive in the floor. It just seems like a real four-wheel-drive system to me. I do not like a dial for four-wheel-drive. It seems to car like for me

jleach76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could always leave the 4WD locked in as long as you drive STRAIGHT all the time.

OP
OP
D

dicksenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, my Silverado is a 1500. It's just been a great feature because I've felt it engage the front axle numerous times in Auto.

I figured Auto wouldn't hold up or be on the 2500's but I wanted to double check. I'm just trying to research everything and I still can't decide I want to go with a Ram 1500 or 2500.

May need to start a new thread, how good is the Anti Spin differential on the Ram 1500, i'm assuming its the same as limited slip on my Silverado?

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I personally drove through about 4in of snow/slush to get to work today in 2wd. I have the 3.92 and anti spin (it's a helical differential, not a clutch type LSD). No problems.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They do have a traction control thing which prevent spinning in 2WD. I'm wondering if/what it does for the front axle when in 4WD.... hmmmm.

I've never felt "traction control" kick in on the front axle when in 4WD in my truck. It DOES have a pretty aggressive stability control program that I've felt fighting (and winning) to keep the rig from fishtailing or spinning out. Since in true 4WD, both front and rear are tied together at the transfer case, and with all the weight up front, it would have to be pretty ugly to have the front totally lose traction. I have had one front spin while climbing loose hills and sand dunes, but in the PW, I can just activate the locker(s). Regarding the stability program, I have to remember to not just "dumb it down" but fully shut it off (hold ten seconds and chime) before I try to toss it around off road.

Both the PW and my 1500 both have very tight, nice and effective limited slip rear ends.

The 2500's do not have the "Auto" feature. Only half-tons.

And I too prefer the lever in the floor on the PW, as opposed to the dial on the 1500, though it has never given me any issue in over 100k miles.

Wish they both had manual locking hubs up front too. But, I guess that is something I could do in the aftermarket.

Good luck in your truck selection.

Last edited: