Auto Door lock when vehicle left alone. 2015 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvutsinas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've got a 2015 Lonestar with the standard keyfob (lock/unlock). Does anyone know where or if there is a setting to allow the truck to auto lock after X amount of time after exiting the vehicle. Basically, the vehicle is unoccupied, and I forget to lock the doors....the vehicle would lock itself after 30 sec or something of that nature. Also, is it possible to upgrade to the remote start and push to start system, or is it now worth it? I'm paralyzed on one side, so anything I can do to make it more accessible and easier to operate is a win.

samsung09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM Laramie Longhorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I don't think that is even a feature available for these trucks. You can however, use Uconnect and lock the doors remotely using your phone. Helps also if it has autostart, especially when it is hot and you want to cool down the interior with the auto A/C

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
is it possible to upgrade to the remote start and push to start system, or is it now worth it?

Yes the factory remote start can be added to the truck easily and definitely worth adding. The push button start is a lot more involved as there are additional wiring harnesses that need to be added.
One issue of having a vehicle that auto locks the doors is you'll want to carry a spare door key with you. Nothing worse than locking yourself out of your vehicle miles from home.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was something in early times and audi and vw deleted the function. But it was not exactly what the question was. Discovered was the issue through a recall at the audi tt in the late 1990's.
If you unlocked the door and if you not opened the driver door, the vehicle locked it self up after 30 seconds. As the recall for the tt started (adding spoiler, changing stabilizer bar, improving suspension and some other stuff), the cars was shipped to hungary, where the car was built. All paperwork, original equipment and documentation had to be in the car. People came with full hands, unlocked the car and opened the passenger door to put everything in. And a lot of them also put all keys in it and closed the door. Meanwhile, the vehicle locked it self and the owner out.
This was the time, I learned, how to open the tt without tools and breaking something (btw- every car has this possibility, but the manufacturer don't tell mobody, out of obvious reasons ).
And after hundreds of incidents, the function was deleted.
And that's the reson, why there is not a function, you asked for.

akra11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab, 8 speed
Engine
5.7 ltr Hemi - 8 Speed; T1000 Diabolo - Custom Hemi Tune
never heard of it with the Rams but my wife's Charger does that self-locking thing.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There was something in early times and audi and vw deleted the function. But it was not exactly what the question was. Discovered was the issue through a recall at the audi tt in the late 1990's.
If you unlocked the door and if you not opened the driver door, the vehicle locked it self up after 30 seconds. As the recall for the tt started (adding spoiler, changing stabilizer bar, improving suspension and some other stuff), the cars was shipped to hungary, where the car was built. All paperwork, original equipment and documentation had to be in the car. People came with full hands, unlocked the car and opened the passenger door to put everything in. And a lot of them also put all keys in it and closed the door. Meanwhile, the vehicle locked it self and the owner out.
This was the time, I learned, how to open the tt without tools and breaking something (btw- every car has this possibility, but the manufacturer don't tell mobody, out of obvious reasons ).
And after hundreds of incidents, the function was deleted.
And that's the reson, why there is not a function, you asked for.
Where did you get your information? Passive locking is a feature on many vehicle's nowadays. It's pretty popular on cars with keyless fobs and will automatically lock the doors once you leave the vicinity of the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gfs old Honda CR-V did this. It was a 2006 I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did you get your information? Passive locking is a feature on many vehicle's nowadays. It's pretty popular on cars with keyless fobs and will automatically lock the doors once you leave the vicinity of the vehicle.

Ignore him, he makes a bunch of claims and touts being an "industry insider" bla bla bla but doesn't actually know anything/ is wrong.

As you say, most manufacturers have this feature. Chrysler already has the hardware in place to be able to implement the feature, but for some stupid reason didn't implement it. And no, it's not for fear of keys being locked in the car. They actually already have an auto locking feature for "accidental" unlocks, and it detects and deactivates itself if keys are in the car. (This is with the newer RKEs)

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Only when you have the key in your pocket. if not, the doors will not lock. that's the point. The guys I was talking about had all keys in the vehicle.
The vehicles had the feature, that the door is locking back, if the owner did not open the driver's door within 30 seconds. this prevented the car from accidentally left open, when the open button was pressed on the fob by walking away. (a lot of people do that- pushing on the buttons around with the hands in the pocket)
But if you opened any other door than the driver door, it did not recognize and locked the doors back. after another 30 seconds, if you where inside the car, it was impossible to open the door- even from the inside. the knobs where locked as anti- theft device.
I specifically talked about VW / Audi and "assumed" that this is the reason, why they don't do it.
where I got this from? 25 years working for VW / Audi.

And on my wife's charger with keyless entry, the doors only open, when she is around 15 feet- that's it. and then she has to open the driver's door, before the car gets unlocked. to lock the car with the button works all the time from driver and passenger side. That's how she locked her self out, once.

Last edited:

samsung09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM Laramie Longhorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Only when you have the key in your pocket. if not, the doors will not lock. that's the point. The guys I was talking about had all keys in the vehicle.
The vehicles had the feature, that the door is locking back, if the owner did not open the driver's door within 30 seconds. this prevented the car from accidentally left open, when the open button was pressed on the fob by walking away. (a lot of people do that- pushing on the buttons around with the hands in the pocket)
But if you opened any other door than the driver door, it did not recognize and locked the doors back. after another 30 seconds, if you where inside the car, it was impossible to open the door- even from the inside. the knobs where locked as anti- theft device.
I specifically talked about VW / Audi and "assumed" that this is the reason, why they don't do it.
where I got this from? 25 years working for VW / Audi.

And on my wife's charger with keyless entry, the doors only open, when she is around 15 feet- that's it. and then she has to open the driver's door, before the car gets unlocked. to lock the car with the button works all the time from driver and passenger side. That's how she locked her self out, once.
Correct, if you lock the doors from the inside an leave your remote inside you'll lock yourself out. But if you try to lock from the outside, it won't lock.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

CAP LOCK KID

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport QC 4x4
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Many times i want to unlock my tailgate for access and not go into the cab so i just use the passive entry while walking by the passenger door. The way my truck is, is that only the passenger side will unlock all the doors including the gate. The driver side only unlocks the driver door.
After a few minutes, the truck re-locks. This feature seems to work only if you don't open any doors, only the gate.