Backup camera flickering/lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all.
Just installed a backup camera to my Kenwood dx9704s. It is working good, however when activated it has running lines across the screen?? Any idea of what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Mine did that too. This was weird. I wired it into my reverse lights like I always have done before. Thought camera was bad. Contacted to company and they had me wire it into my hitch lighting circuit and it worked perfect. Check the instructions that came with it. You might have same prob as I did. Easy fix. The shop just swapped the wires to the trailer hitch lights and BAM! Good to go lol

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks they grounded it right at the tail light.
Frustrating that it isn’t working correctly. They said they get this issue with Chrysler vehicles...

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did that too. This was weird. I wired it into my reverse lights like I always have done before. Thought camera was bad. Contacted to company and they had me wire it into my hitch lighting circuit and it worked perfect. Check the instructions that came with it. You might have same prob as I did. Easy fix. The shop just swapped the wires to the trailer hitch lights and BAM! Good to go lol

I wonder how I could wire it to the hitch lighting circuit

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Shop just used the trailer hitch wires instead of jumping into the tail light. What does you camera manufacturer recommend? Mine said go to hitch wires but shop insisted the have done a million and always go to the turn signal. Manufacturer said it was less voltage than the hitch wiring?? Mine corrected instantly when switched

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is how it’s looking. Something can’t be right. I mean I have a top notch stereo. Dx9704s
07ddc1353e351f9836a5183fef6475b4.jpg

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did they try another camera too?? They are all cheap ones pretty much.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine had huge lines and flickered before they swapped wires around. Could hardly see out of it.....hhhmmm???

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did they try another camera too?? They are all cheap ones pretty much.

No. I bought this one from crutchfield that was a pretty highly rated one. Boyo vtl17irtj
The manufacturer recommended an engine interference filter??
Crutchfield said it could be interference from another power source??
Annoyed..
But I do appreciate your responses. I tried to tell the shop about it. They wouldn’t give it the time of day..

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah that sucks. Good luck man. As far as interference all you can do is disconnect stuff and then try the camera?

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tell me if you see any issues with the wiring of the backup camera?
fa1fde1e473a3bb6be5f7139b0ebc5ed.jpg

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would have the shop just test with another camera. That eliminates one of your potential problems. It’s a quick check. Then go from there....

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
^^^^ Do what Pa says!

The light circuit isn't like an older car and isn't designed for this (it's adjustable by the BCM. Think pwm and it can pick up noise).

Use the trailer tow signals... These are BCM controlled relays (ie isolated) that are fed directly from the switched battery+

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There ya go man. MpGrimm is really up on it. I knew someone would be able to explain more specific than me. I would try that. That’s something you can do in the driveway. See if it helps.

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I would get them to tie into the reverse on the trailer hook up?

OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I would just need to power from the reverse wire in the trailer hookup?

66230cda09cd02109e6fbedd9d3db990.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yep. Try 7 (& 1 if you are unsure about the ground)

de5c9f82037a3c972da70bb74b9d14e5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome thanks.
I’m gonna print this out and take it to the shop on Wednesday. They have to finish hooking up my idatalink, so I’m going to demand they fix this.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If that doesn't help then you may have a poor quality camera despite reviews. I bought a well rated Esky brand camera for the front grill. Worked great, solid image quality and features ... but it interfered with my Tpms sensors (especially the back ones). A different camera fixed it.