Bad knocking at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Loud engine knock during cold starts. Engine sounds like it is going to blow up every morning. It isn't nearly as bad after it has been driven for awhile. Anyone else experience this? Only have 7500km on it. I swear I have an exhaust leak also but thats another story. Love the truck but it is starting to get annoying having it in the service department every week.........

HOTRODHARLEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Loud engine knock during cold starts. Engine sounds like it is going to blow up every morning. It isn't nearly as bad after it has been driven for awhile. Anyone else experience this? Only have 7500km on it. I swear I have an exhaust leak also but thats another story. Love the truck but it is starting to get annoying having it in the service department every week.........

A legitimate loud knock..? Or a loud ticking noise..? How many oil changes have you had done thus far..?

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its definitely a knock. Just did my second change couple weeks ago. Noticed the knock about a month ago. Seems like it has gotten worse.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
does it get louder with higher rpms? i was thinking exhaust manifold gasket.
either way id take it to the dealer. let them figure it out

HOTRODHARLEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Definitely look into an exhaust leak. If that checks ok then you may have a big issue on your hands. Thank god for warranty.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely look into an exhaust leak. If that checks ok then you may have a big issue on your hands. Thank god for warranty.

I was thinking exhaust manifold leak as well. It isn't nearly as bad when the engine has been warmed up. I am taking it in on Tuesday. It just seems the dealer never has anything to say unless the truck is throwing a code they can read.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I was thinking exhaust manifold leak as well. It isn't nearly as bad when the engine has been warmed up. I am taking it in on Tuesday. It just seems the dealer never has anything to say unless the truck is throwing a code they can read.

That's the problem with service centers and manufacturers these days. If the computer isn't saying it's broken then they don't want to touch it.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This is what it sounds like Sounds horrible - YouTube

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Razz 98% of the time, with the Hemi it is noisy lifters when it is noisy at startup and lessons as the engine warms and as the lifters get lubed it gets quieter. I swear mine sounded more like a knock then a tick. What oil are you running and how long ago did you change it?

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Razz 98% of the time, with the Hemi it is noisy lifters when it is noisy at startup and lessons as the engine warms and as the lifters get lubed it gets quieter. I swear mine sounded more like a knock then a tick. What oil are you running and how long ago did you change it?

I have had PP in it for about 150 miles now. Problem started before I switched to PP though.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Take it to the dealer and see what they say. And do everyone a favor and take your webcam out and document it. I am really bummed to hear this on a great oil. Your gonna have to try the Redline next, hopefully it will do for you what it did for me. Didn't you put one qrt of redline in that mix?

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take it to the dealer and see what they say. And do everyone a favor and take your webcam out and document it. I am really bummed to hear this on a great oil. Your gonna have to try the Redline next, hopefully it will do for you what it did for me. Didn't you put one qrt of redline in that mix?

Ya I did add 1qrt of Redline. I am at the dealer now. Waiting on the verdict. Of course they told the tech to listen to it when it was already warm. Luckily I waited for the tech to get my truck and I got to talk to him myself. We will see what the verdict is. I will let you know what they have to say.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Cool, good luck. This was me when I had 1200 miles on the truck, I know exactly how that feels. Shell out all that money and your engine sounds like a meet grinder.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool, good luck. This was me when I had 1200 miles on the truck, I know exactly how that feels. Shell out all that money and your engine sounds like a meet grinder.

Ya meat grinder is exactly the right analogy. Dealership just called and said they think the squeaking is my water pump and they want to keep it over night to hear the knocking at cold start.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealership said everything sounds normal. Really that is the sound of normal?

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Wow, that's BS! I know when I first start mine up in the morning you can hear the lifters tap pretty hard for a few seconds until the oil pressure is up, and the oil hits the top end, but I seriously hope it doesn't develop anything like you're experiencing.

On a side note, I have my Redline oil and RP filter now, and will be getting the oil changed over in January.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
**** razza... that's a bummer..m If you are at the dealer, have them compare it to another truck... I'm sure there is plenty to chose from.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Razz just like you did with the belt squeak, get it on video first to start documenting it. You are on the same journey I was on, it will be helpful to the forum when you find your fix. Time to start trying different stuff.

That is what all dealerships say, azzholes that they are. Here are all my ideas on the subject.

One, the high moly ester base light 5w20 will help, currently either redline or Motul. This worked for me but I keep in the back of my mind my knocking may come back, so the rest of my backup plan as follows.

Two, if that didn't work you could "TRY" going to 5w30 with the same oil. Personally I believe 5w20 is better for noisy lifters, but there is some evidence 5w30 is also a good choice. I don't know or understand the science behind that, but I've read several places this is the case. Most of the time going thicker is a bad idea, but some hemi's respond to it. IMO, I would still try the high moly 5w20 first, but as a backup if that didn't work I would definitely try messing with a slightly thicker oil. Yeah it would be a hard pill to swallow after shelling out for a 100 dollar oil change, and still only might work. But bottom line you could wait before trying the next thing, like run redline 5w20 and live with that for 5k even "if" it didn't work, then try the 5w30 of the same brand.

Three, if that didn't work you could start in on different oil additives, think of this step as your hail marry. Learn about the additives first before dropping them in your truck. I would try Cerma before other additives, and maybe marvelous mystery oil. However, I had run MMO in mine before i went to Redline and it didn't help the knocking at all.

Option B, live with it a lot of guys do. Bottom line you are under warranty so if your truck breaks down you have a warranty.

Option C, get an independent shop to state in writing you have faulty lifters and sue the dealer and manufacturer.

Option D, just try a cheap 5w30 before any of this, just maybe it will help. Actually there is no real downside from doing this first as well and is a cheaper option then going with redline. Bottom line if it didn't work you know you tried, and you can always dump it and go straight to Redline 5w20. it would only be 20 bucks or so and is a decent place to start if you were worried about costs.

Don't know what else to say, but been there done that and good luck.

Kreen is a cleaner by kano labs, whatever you try if and when you want to start from a clean slate, that will get you there. But your truck being so new, I doubt you need this at this point.

Last edited:

War Machine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you put heavier than recommended oil in, it can **** up the cam phaser