Ball joint replacement on 1500 with air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Drifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’m actually replacing the upper and lower controls arms along with ball joints and front spindle bearings on a 4x4 Outdoorsman crew cab. Question is how to release pressure on the air suspension to allow safe control arm removal. I placed in “Jack mode” but, it sounds like that just locks the current ride height. Should I place it in entry exit mode to release pressure prior to selecting the Jack mode? What’s the correct procedure?

There are many horror stories about air suspension but, no problems with it yet at 140,000 miles. (Knock on wood) I don’t want to induce any issues by venting the system, etc...

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just put it in jack mode. Jack mode disables the level control so it won’t try to auto level. You don’t need to release pressure or anything unless you’re replacing an air suspension component.

OP
OP
R

Ram Drifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks, Tach_tech. I was just concerned that there would still be some tension/pressure on it. It’s in Jack mode and battery is disconnected. I’m doing the manifold bolts at the same time and just wrapping up that part of the project. Time to dig into the suspension tomorrow.