Ball mounts, drop, adjustables to cover 95% of trailers? (& other Qs from Newbs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plarkinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Hey folks, I need expert guidance on hitch selection. As with most of my posts, I believe offering as much info as possible enables you (the experts) to provide higher quality advice. Apologies for the length. (TL;DR version at the bottom)

Background: Both my wife and I are completely new to towing. We bought our truck to in order to pull a gooseneck version of an 18' "adoption trailer" similar to this : Diamond Deluxe Animal Transportation Units: Adoption / Rescue Trailers

Now about that, the 18' I refer to is the "usable space", like if it was a bumper-pull trailer, they call an 18' trailer. Obviously, a gooseneck version needs more length added in the front. One dealer uses the term "down" to specify the usable space, and they add 8' to it for the overall length in gooseneck config. For example, 18' down is a 26' gooseneck model. Is that standard & common terminology?

OK, on to the bigger questions: The truck is a 2014 Tradesman 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW with Cummins Turbo Diesel and factory Brake Controller. Dealer is also a trailer dealer (but not the kind we need) so they sweetened the truck deal by adding a B&W Turnover Gooseneck & 7-pin connector in the bed. Thus, I'm pretty well set for the Adoption Trailer (I may be back later to ask more questions specific to pulling that).

Anywaaaay, besides the adoption trailer, I want to be prepared for pretty much any towing need I might reasonably face, and I'm mostly hung-up on "drop". The bottom of my reciver is 19" above ground level. I realize trailers vary in height, but surely I don't need a ball & mount for each trailer. Here's a bit more info to help narrow my forseeable needs:

We live in the country and might one day need to pull a small horse trailer (room for 2 at most); either gooseneck or bumper-tongue (is that the right term for non-gooseneck?). I also run a small business, and could expand if I added say a 12' staked-side flatbed type utility trailer big enough to hold an ATV and a pull-behind mower like this AcrEase Model MR44B Specifications (Rough Cut) , or chainsaws and a hydraulic splitter). Also, I imagine one day needing a trailer that can deliver 20' logs/poles, or bring home 20' sections of pipe, and maybe even a box-trailer of some sort (6'-8' I guess) to deliver firewood.

We are not boat people, but one day it might be nice to pull a decent camper within the capability of this truck. I don't imagine ever dolley-towing or flat-towing (correct terms?) any cars.

So, I'm stuck on what to invest in, hitch wise, to be able to react to happening upon the perfect trailer for sale sign in front of someone's ranch, or to more likely help a neighbor with whatever random trailer he might have. That said:

I like the B&W "stow&tow" in a dual-ball (2" & 2-5/16") configuration... (the triple ball seems too clunky/ugly to leave on 90% of the time). It's adjustable but they offer it in a range of drops: 5", 7", 10", maybe others. The question boils down to "how much adjustable drop would cover 95% of my needs?". Here's an example of what I'm talking about: Tow &amp Stow - 7 Inch Drop
Obviously I could go with the max drop of 10" or more, but at some point excess stuff hanging down can get in the way, and hit/snag stuff, so if it's very unlikely I'll use it...

B&W also offers a pintle upgrade/accessory/version (the thing that locks down over top). Seems like it adds a bit of safety. But does that work with most trailers? And does it really add any benefit?

Ok, that covers 2" & 2-5/16" balls. So then, I need a 1-7/8", and because those are usually for much lighter trailers, I figure can go with a simple (cheaper) ball hitch from say Tractor Supply. Which brings us back to the question: What kind of drop makes sense for a "nice to have on hand if I find myself needing to pull with a 1-7/8" ball"? On the other hand, I like the idea of this thing:
Inventive Swivel-Loc Hitch Ball Mounts - Free Shipping on Swivel Lock Ball Mount
If it weren't for it's limited weight capacity, I'd probably make that my 'go-to' with a 2" ball. But, is this device a stupid/wasteful/bad idea?

TL;DR version (and Summary):
Would 7" drop on a B&W "stow&tow" with dual-ball (2" & 2-5/16") cover 95% of the following types of trailer: 2-horse, 20' flatbed utility, 12' flat/staked utility, and 6-8' box, and a camper as big as a 2500 4x4 CTD (with reciver 19" above the ground) can haul? Does adding a pintle help, or is that trailer specific? And if you had to select ONE cheapo ball mount with a 1-7/8" ball, how much drop should it have to cover 90% of the trailers a ball that size might face. Would that swivel thing above be the one for 1-7/8" ball or just a bunch of snake-oil?

Thanks for any guidance you guys can supply, or resources you point me at.
:favorites13:

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
With a 3/4 4wd a 5in drop hitch should serve you nicely. All my dad has on his 3/4 is a 5in drop. I have multiple setups for my truck I have a 1/2 4wd and I run a 2in drop on both my 2in ball and 2 5/16, I have a 5in drop that has a 1 7/8 on it because they a generally shorter trailers. I think 7in drop might be to much, empty trailers will probably sit level with the 7in but once you load them up and put some weight on the truck they drop leaving the trailer nose down. For you I would just get a 2in and a 2 5/16 on a 5in drop and you'll cover almost anything, the trailers that run 1 7/8 are like the little 4x8 trailer with a gross trailer weight of 2000lbs witch you could just put in the back of your truck.

And non gooseneck trailers are bumper pull.
Here is some quick tips on hooking up a bumper pull, when you put the chains on always cross them, and hook them opposite directions ( one from the back and one from the front) if your trailer were to ever come un hitched the Cross chains will keep the tounge from hitting the groud. And the saftey chain hooks would have to have opposite forces applied to make them come unhooked, so even if one comes unhooked you'll proabably have the other still hooked up (i have never had a saftey chain come unhooked it is a very rare occursance not trying to scare you just redundancy for safety)

Last edited: