Bearing noise in rear differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

better days

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2018 ram 1500 2wd.
Just took it to dodge dealership, they said I have bearing noise in the rear differential.
They said it'd be around $4,000 , they didn't take it a part to even look at the gears or bearings.

I don't hear anything while driving . No problems accelerating or driving at all.

Should I find a local mechanic?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Find an independent shop that does axle and gear work.

JURO

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Sport.
Engine
1500 5.0 liter.
can u check the fluid level? maybe its just low. any leaks?

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think you'd hear it if a bearing was bad. It's usually a wine or whirring noise. Depending on which bearing it could make noise at speed, when accelerating, when coasting, or all of the above. What was the dealer visit for? Just an oil change then they tell you the diff is bad?

OP
OP
B

better days

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would think you'd hear it if a bearing was bad. It's usually a wine or whirring noise. Depending on which bearing it could make noise at speed, when accelerating, when coasting, or all of the above. What was the dealer visit for? Just an oil change then they tell you the diff is bad?
I have had the truck about 2 weeks. I took it in for 200 point inspection and oil change.
No leaks around the differential, drives smooth. I've driven around trying to hear any noise from the rear end, nothing I can tell.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely get a second opinion. There may be nothing wrong. But on the off chance there is noise you don't notice, a bad bearing can cause additional damage inside the diff so you would want to fix it if there is an issue. But even if there is an issue it should not cost 4000. Look for a transmission and driveline shop to inspect it as they would actually take the diff apart and repair it vs telling you you have to swap the whole axle or diff which is much more expensive.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, the carrier/side bearings sound like a low grind. grunt noise at initial take off, increasing in pitch as speed increases.

Warlock69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The problem now is they’ve told you it’s a bad bearing. They have it on record. Later it fails and you failed to take care of it when the dealership told you, they may refuse to do the work.
You know how dealerships operate! Beside, if it’s under warranty, go and get it replaced regardless. If they do good work, what’s the worry?

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem now is they’ve told you it’s a bad bearing. They have it on record. Later it fails and you failed to take care of it when the dealership told you, they may refuse to do the work.
You know how dealerships operate! Beside, if it’s under warranty, go and get it replaced regardless. If they do good work, what’s the worry?
Op said dealer quoted $4000 for the repair so it's not warranty. Since no warranty I would definitely get a second opinion.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
IT also it can be cheaper sometimes to exchange the axle assembly with a used one. Especially if you can do it yourself. Not hard or even complicated just a lot of "grunt Work". But the unit is HEAVY and cumbersome. When I do them. I pull the axles on both (bad and replacement), Pull the backing plate assemblies, leaving brakes and lines attached and supported while you are swapping the assemblies. Safety FIRST they are heavy. Our "salvage yards" in the area even offer a warranty on their parts. Because it is 2WD this would be the time to change gear ratios if it is something you want to do. Just need to find out if in fact it is Bad!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Typical Steeelers scamming again take it to an independent shop and have them pull the diff cover and inspect the fluid, change and put friction modifier additive, way cheaper that $4,000 hard earned dollars.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No doubt get a 2nd opinion. Stop taking trucks out of warranty to dealers.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely get a second opinion. I just had my 2014 rear differential rebuilt with new Eaton True Trac, new gears and pinion bearings, crush sleeve and seal and that only cost $2100, but that wasn’t at a stealership either.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4K, what a bunch of scam artist. How do these losers sleep at night.

Check your BL
Check you Pinion preload
Run a gear pattern

You can do that for free yourself.

BTW a Master rebuild kit from Yukon is 350$ and any good mechanic should be able to swap that stuff out in a day. Heck I can swap that **** in my home shop in 8 hours. on these ZFs.

What takes time is setting a good pattern, and unless there's damage to your gears and pinion thats a non issue and they are bull****ting you.