Update ( rear differential bearing noise)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

better days

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I brought my ram 1500 49k miles to the dealership for 200 point inspection. The only thing they said was I had bearing noise in the rear differential. $4000.

I took the truck to 2 other mechanics and they both said nothing was wrong with the differential.

Should I just let it go,or should I call the dealership and ask what they were thinking?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Seems strange that a dealership would lie to you. :Big Laugh:

Couple questions...
Why did you take it in for an inspection? If that's something the dealership recommends at 50k you might want to avoid that dealership. It's a tactic to get you into their shop for some expensive repair work that may or may not be needed.

Are the other two mechanics certified or are they what you'd call a shade tree mechanic? In other words how well do they know their stuff? You don't want to ignore a bearing issue because that can quickly lead to much more damage than just the bearing. But if they know what they're doing you can probably trust what they're telling you.

OP
OP
B

better days

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just bought the truck,I wanted to know everything wrong with it. That's why I took it to the dealership.

The 2 local mechanics have been in business for over 20 years here in my town.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought the truck,I wanted to know everything wrong with it. That's why I took it to the dealership.

The 2 local mechanics have been in business for over 20 years here in my town.

Was the dealership able to demonstrate this noise or rationalize a potential root cause?
If none of the above, I'd be suspicious.

You could always call them for clarification, listen to their justification and report the info here.
They should have initially provided you with a written estimate with details, anyway.

Could you visit another FCA dealership for an opinion after you learn of the apparent indicators?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I agree with the above assessment. Have a shop who has a good driveline guy inspect it. Make sure they don't have their 3mo new employee out of high school looking at it. They may say, "We have the best driveline guy in town!", but what if he's sick the day you take your truck in? Stay there & make sure it's done RIGHT and thoroughly. I would stand right there and make sure its inspected properly.

Have them pop off the driveshaft and the wheels. Rotate the pinion by "Hand". You can feel things (esp flaky bearings) by hand that you may not feel/hear otherwise. Feel the U-joints (by hand), inspect the trunions for fluting, dryness or whatever. And inspect the center bearing (if present) ...also by hand.

Lift up on the rear axles for free-play. At this point you might as well ask them to remove the rear diff cover off (It's time to change the lube anyway) and pull the axles out, while the cover is off. Then they can inspect the wheel bearings, spider gears, and axles too. Inspect the axle splines for abnormal wear. While in there, inspect the main gears inside while. And also rotate the driveshaft in the trasfer case (also by HAND). ....if it's 4x4. And have them look over the rear axle housing for straightness. Who knows, it's possible the housing could be bent or was bent from the factory. very unlikely, but you never know. Have them inspect the front driveshaft and CV axles too ...since it's up on the hoist.

None of the above is going overboard. You really need to change the rear diff fluid anyway...so they'd have the cover off. If they do all the above and don't find anything, then I would feel confident it's good. That removes all ambiguity and you know what you have. Make sure they put in Mopar rear diff fluid and have the appropriate friction modifier if your tk has a limited slip. You can use another brand lube, but make sure it's the right weight and you know what brand they used, for the future (it's just a good practice to NOT mix brands).

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I brought my ram 1500 49k miles to the dealership for 200 point inspection. The only thing they said was I had bearing noise in the rear differential. $4000.

I took the truck to 2 other mechanics and they both said nothing was wrong with the differential.

Should I just let it go,or should I call the dealership and ask what they were thinking?
I have been working at a dealer as a mechanic for few months now I have seen my fair share of bs the advisers try to pull. Unless you had a issue/hear something yourself then ignore it wouldnt hurt to change the diff oil tho.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so 4K for a 50$ bearing , a 15$ crush sleeve and a 10$ pinion nut...

Sounds about right for slime ball stearler****s.

**** I hate steaelr****s. Specially when they ******** people on how hard gears swaps or fixing them are. And they try to sell you their ******** parts for 3x the price.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You should know, no service advisor is or has been a mechanic, unless they are in a wheel chair & can't actively turn a wrench.
His main job is to sell sell sell.

I had an understanding with the last 2 service advisers,
If they make statement that involves unneeded parts, they better show me, that the work is needed.

Now the Service Dept, has all new people in that room, its a Covid thing, all of the previous people left.

I will have to break them in, there are 7 Dodge dealers close by, within 45 miles

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should know, no service advisor is or has been a mechanic, unless they are in a wheel chair & can't actively turn a wrench.
His main job is to sell sell sell.

I had an understanding with the last 2 service advisers,
If they make statement that involves unneeded parts, they better show me, that the work is needed.

Now the Service Dept, has all new people in that room, its a Covid thing, all of the previous people left.

I will have to break them in, there are 7 Dodge dealers close by, within 45 miles

I knew of one such advisor.

He was a neighbor that bought a house across the street from my first house.

I never knew him professionally, although he did help me out, several times, at the dealership where he worked.

Mostly free favours although I eventually bought 2 Toyota trucks that were serviced at the dealership that was minutes away.

AFAIR, he was a mechanic for about 25 years and just got tired of it. I suspect he was more tired of the BS politics of working for a large Toyota dealership but we never discussed the topic.

He was an excellent neighbor and always assisted me with my auto repairs. We installed a lift kit together on my '87 Toyota Ext cab pickup truck.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Buddy of mine just had his bearings replaced by a dealer in AZ on a 2015 diesel 3.4 ton RAM. Not sure of the mileage but I believe around 65K. He was detecting a vibration and it took them awhile to locate the problem, but a problem there was. One of the bearings next to the gears was bad. The race for the bearing was cracked and caused extreme galling of the bearing. But the cost was shocking. Over 6K for the repair. So it does happen but the OP should hear something or feel something if there is a problem. He sent me a picture of the rear showing the race. I was surprised at the amount of separation of the crack. About 3/8 inch by the time it was opened up.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WOW....$6k? Where can I line up to do that work?? LOL

OP, call around and locate a driveline shop. That's stuff they do all day every day. They could do any bearing work for a fraction of that...

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oxymoronic in these days and times. Dealers here in Houston advertise ALL the time for technicians. Why is that? High turn over is the only logical explanation: because there is no way that they have high turn over due to dying or retirement, is that the dealer is incapable of qualified technician retention.

SO many of my customers over the years came to me after they had bad dealer experiences. From my limited position, this is rather scary! Moreover, when I keep up with who's hiring out there, I read the adverts from employers seeking help. Sadly, the same places are frequently "expanding" so need new personnel. Hell, in that case, many of these shops or dealers must have 200 acre facilities! ;)

Here's not only MY advice, but advice I've seen tendered many times through the years:
Find a good mechanic/ shop when you DON'T need one. Go out and visit shops in person. Interview the owner (frequently he/she is also the tech, such as I am). Make sure they are ASE certified. although this does little to prove competency, it does prove they are looking at the big picture as to their professionalism. Also, inquire about their continuing education. Ask folks in the neighborhood about several shops and carefully weigh the options at your disposal.

Develop a relationship with a mechanic. This might be nigh impossible at a dealer, and it is a HUGE mistake to think a relationship with a commissioned service advisor will ever serve YOUR best interests. Make sure that the basis of that relationship is clear communication.

Never hesitate to seek a second opinion regarding your situation, but be careful if the second opinion-giver commences to trash the original shop who diagnosed the problem, whether specifically or collectively.

And that goes 2 ways. If you come into my shop with the mindset of "all those other shops are just a bunch of cheaters" (not saying you are, mind you), I'll graciously inform you that we aren't a match and wish you all the best in finding a good match for your needs. This is because I'm NOT a counselor trying to fix or show up those "Bad ole puddytats"!

I'm a consummate professional devoted to fixing your vehicle accurately and respecting dollar value for your choice in using my facility. I don't pester you for Yelp or FB reviews, and never will, and don't give a damn about them. I DO demand the time necessary to first diagnose the problem, then have enough time to fix it correctly without "hurry-up-itis". I already know that the kids have to be dropped ant school and picked up, that there are soccer practice, piano lessons, yada yada yada. Life is a busy proposition!

Having vehicle problems is like death and taxes.... inevitable. Buying a new car will NEVER fix that; only delay said inevitability. Buying a used vehicle is rife with unspoken potential problems' so much so that I disclose and warn customers who employ me to perform a pre-purchase inspection that said results are good for that point in time only, parallel to the disclosure in most home inspection paperwork. That is because the batteries are dead in my futurama 8-ball, and someone stole my turban! ;)

In closing, look at your personal expectations as a consumer and vehicle owner. Hedge your bets by checking out and seeking the best in any service you may need. This can and usually does thwart these problems! Peace be with you, and best of luck!

Last edited: