Behold - new acquisition. (Questions!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Well, just took it on my first (of many) 250-mi round-trips to Charlottesville.

1) The "angry goose" sound is really more of a loud drone that comes in at about 65 and doesn't seem to go away at any point up to 75 anyway. I did my best to secure the airbox but apparently not good enough! I'll look at maybe replacing it with a junkyard unit next week.
2) There also seems to be something under there that rattles when I get up above 45mph...

I'm going to crawl under the truck again today after work, but if I don't see anything, I know a guy that only charges $10/hour for diagnostics... I might just have him go over it with a fine-toothed comb. :p

I know the drone that you're talking about, I have the same thing. Its a weird noise, but I'm 99% sure its from my CAI not being sealed because I can see a gap. It happens randomly when driving 40+.

OP
OP
J

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Meanwhile - CKPS... I followed the tranny dipstick down with my hand and found the sensor. Then I tried to follow the wire... but it goes up over the back of the engine and neither my hand nor my eyes could follow it. Where does it go??? The dang cord isn't that long!

OP
OP
J

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
FINALLY heard back from the DRPA maintenance office. (Was a DRPA truck).
"We don't keep records after we get rid of the trucks. All I can say is we brought it in every 120 days for inspection and whatever maintenance it needed at the time."
So. Not helpful. Guy seemed reluctant to answer questions so I just thanked him for his time and ended the call.
Annoying.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well....that's kinda ******.

"Hello, I need to know if someone from your agency jumped this truck I bought from you like Bo and Luke Duke at some point in its service life working with you...."

OP
OP
J

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Follow-up:
Changed rear diffy fluid a couple weeks ago.
Today i changed the front diffy & transfer case fluids.

In no instance did I reach the capacities listed above. For example, today the front diffy should have taken 4 1/4 quarts, and I got about 3 3/4 in before fluid started coming out the fill hole.
I expected the transfer case (major PITA, btw) to take 5 1/4 quarts but it only took about 3 1/2 before it was full. Is a transfer case like an auto tranny, where I should have been running it in drive while filling? I can always add more later...

Next up, the tranny fluid! Do you guys just go to the dealer for the gasket and filter kit?

(Also, I've sandblasted the diffy covers and painted them a nice Rustoleum blue. Much better than the rust color they used to be.)

Thanks!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
T-case you just fill it like a diff. lol

For the tranmission, it's likely going to take about 8 qts. Mine took 7.5.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have always gotten my filter/gasket kits from Advance Auto and never had a leaker, for what its worth. Clean both surfaces thoroughly (do NOT gouge the aluminum tranny side surface!).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbassrex