Best headers for 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a stock 2016 Ram R/T. All I have done to it is a Carven muffler, and OEM Mopar CAI(their upgraded one, not the stock one). I'm planning to add a Whipple supercharger. Been reading I should add long tubes as well. So looking to go with the ARH ones. Which size would be better for what I'm looking to do. I'm trying to keep as much bolt on as possible. Not looking to tear into my motor at all. The power of the Whipple is good enough for me. I don't daily drive it and its not gonna be a track truck. Any help would be great too.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a stock 2016 Ram R/T. All I have done to it is a Carven muffler, and OEM Mopar CAI(their upgraded one, not the stock one). I'm planning to add a Whipple supercharger. Been reading I should add long tubes as well. So looking to go with the ARH ones. Which size would be better for what I'm looking to do. I'm trying to keep as much bolt on as possible. Not looking to tear into my motor at all. The power of the Whipple is good enough for me. I don't daily drive it and its not gonna be a track truck. Any help would be great too.

Boosted you'll want the bigger 1 7/8's versions. Also wouldn't hurt to budget for a piston/rod upgrade,as the pistons are a weak link on a Hemi,if nothing else pull the motor down and open up the ring gaps slightly.Boost creates piston and ring heat,and what'll happen is the rings will expand ,if they expand enough they'll actually butt the ends together,and break the top ring land on the stock piston,and then you're rebuilding the engine from the ground up.Hemi's and boost aren't the best combo with stock pistons,if you're budget limited ,keep the tune very conservative,and don't throw anymore then 7 psi boost at it,5 or 6 would be better.

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Boosted you'll want the bigger 1 7/8's versions. Also wouldn't hurt to budget for a piston/rod upgrade,as the pistons are a weak link on a Hemi,if nothing else pull the motor down and open up the ring gaps slightly.Boost creates piston and ring heat,and what'll happen is the rings will expand ,if they expand enough they'll actually butt the ends together,and break the top ring land on the stock piston,and then you're rebuilding the engine from the ground up.Hemi's and boost aren't the best combo with stock pistons,if you're budget limited ,keep the tune very conservative,and don't throw anymore then 7 psi boost at it,5 or 6 would be better.
I'm definitely not looking to get crazy on the power, I don't mind being on the more conservative side. As I said before I tend to only drive this truck a couple days a week just locally. Not sure how much work is involved for a piston/rod upgrade or what to look for. I've been opened up an engine. Was just trying to keep it bolt on if I can. I don't really have a budget. I don't wanna have any issues for things breaking so easily though

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I'm definitely not looking to get crazy on the power, I don't mind being on the more conservative side. As I said before I tend to only drive this truck a couple days a week just locally. Not sure how much work is involved for a piston/rod upgrade or what to look for. I've been opened up an engine. Was just trying to keep it bolt on if I can. I don't really have a budget. I don't wanna have any issues for things breaking so easily though
That Whipple is a torque monster......1&7/8 would pull that down slightly & help in the upper rpm's.
Wild one knows his ****......LoL

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Boost / stock Hemi and reliability aren't 5 words that go together real well,lol. A Pro-charger set at 5 or 6 psi would be better at keeping the pistons alive if you're not after all out torque /bottom end grunt. For what it'll cost you to put a blower on it,have you considered going to a 6.4 motor instead.You could drop a 6.4 SRT engine into it,and have close to the same power and more reliability.Every local boosted hemi to me have all blown up at least once,and my buddy Kurtis has blown up 2 high dollar boosted builds. You can get away with throwing boost on a stock hemi,but if you're going to drive it and utilize the boost it's basically a time bomb.If you're gonna baby it,it'll last, but then why add boost to it, if you can't drive it like you stole it, every once inawhile and enjoy the money you spent. I'm just trying to warn you,adding the blower is the cheapest part of the build,keeping it running afterwards can add up to more money then you wished you'd spent.

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that Modern Muscle has a "kit" for the 5.7 that includes the rotating assembly if you want to run a Whipple. It might make your engine a little more reliable at higher boost. Rick might have some more information about it--
Jay

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

As mentioned already the 1-7/8" is the way to go for boosted applications. Long tube headers and superchargers go together like peanut butter and jelly. The blower is pushing more air in and the headers will help get that air out. ARH is a great choice as well as ARH has proven to have great fitment, phenomenal quality, and offer a great performance increase.

let us know if we can offer you a quote on anything. We offer great pricing on ARH

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
All the responses make it seem scary to add the Whipple supercharger to the 5.7. So many make the kits for it but if it's unsafe then why bother. I'm definitely reconsidering my options at this point. Not really looking to drop in another engine at this point either.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the responses make it seem scary to add the Whipple supercharger to the 5.7. So many make the kits for it but if it's unsafe then why bother. I'm definitely reconsidering my options at this point. Not really looking to drop in another engine at this point either.
I would suggest skipping the charger and getting long tube 1 3/4” headers and a custom Jay Greene tune. You’ll get a lot more power and fun over stock a for just a couple grand and won’t be killing your engine.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I say do headers either way. best simple bolt on power gain you can get and will help support future mods no matter what you do.

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I say do headers either way. best simple bolt on power gain you can get and will help support future mods no matter what you do.
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info. Also been reading about people doing a 6.4 intake manifold swap. Is that a good idea too if its bolt on?

THanks

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could I possibly get up to an extra 100 horsepower by simple bolt ons and tune?

With simple bolt ons no. You would need to do extensive engine work to get that much staying NA. There does seem to be 2 different definitions for bolts ons depending on who you talk to. So to clarify you not going to be able to do it with intake, exhaust, throttle body. You would have to do a stroker kit, cams, heads, etc...I honestly think a centri blower or the Edelbrock TVS which does a great job with cooling its IATs with low boost and Long tubes is your best bet. You will get more power and should still be safe

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Could I possibly get up to an extra 100 horsepower by simple bolt ons and tune?

If you do headers/6.4 intake manifold / cam and tune,you're looking at about 50 horsepower,then throw a 50 shot of nitrous on it,and you'll have the 100 horse gain you're looking for,and it'll still be reliable. Hemi's will swallow a small shot of nitrous all day long and live.I have over 500 passes and 50,000 miles of spirited street driving on my low 12 sec 4X4 with a 75 shot of nitrous and full bolt-ons.Don't get stupid with the nitrous shot,and you'll have the power you want,and it'll live forever.

TheDirtyJester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 201& ram sport with 5.7. I’ve already put a flowmasrer outlaw muffler on it and a cold air intake. I was thinking next could be headers but I just wanted to confirm that they will recconect to the same pipes before the muffler.
The only experience I’ve had with headers was on my dads old Jeep’s and the exhaust stayed separated and went out each side independently.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 201& ram sport with 5.7. I’ve already put a flowmasrer outlaw muffler on it and a cold air intake. I was thinking next could be headers but I just wanted to confirm that they will recconect to the same pipes before the muffler.
The only experience I’ve had with headers was on my dads old Jeep’s and the exhaust stayed separated and went out each side independently.
Shorty headers will. Long tubes will not. Shorties won’t give you near the power gains as the long tubes, that’s why they’re half the price.