Best rotors and pads for a Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Whats the best rotors and pads to use?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Our customers love the combo we offer of R1 Concepts Geomet rotors and the posi-quiet pads.

Message me if you would like a quote on these or any others

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look at Brake Motive pads and rotors also. Put them on my Ram Rebel and love them.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO

ramccie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hawk LTS pads if you like a good initial bite (cold or hot).

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Are we talking standard store bought rotors and pads? Premium store bought? Mail order?

There's so many variables IMO. I've gotten excellent service out of no-name mail order cheap stuff, not so great service out of premium part store stuff and pretty much everything in between. Lifetime replacement pads can be a nice thing if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time.

If I'm in a hurry, I'll typically call and price rotors and pads from Napa and Carquest. If I have time, I'll mail-order.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For guys who have slotted,dimpled or cross drilled rotors. I know they shed heat and improve braking, but if you get a rock caught in there does it help by snagging them and knocking them out or does is lodge them in deeper and damage the pads? I run a lot of gravel and dirt roads so this is a real concern for me.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For guys who have slotted,dimpled or cross drilled rotors. I know they shed heat and improve braking, but if you get a rock caught in there does it help by snagging them and knocking them out or does is lodge them in deeper and damage the pads? I run a lot of gravel and dirt roads so this is a real concern for me.

Well let me put it this way, I live in a neighbourhood that is under construction and tons of dirt, rocks, gravel, etc. I also drive many dirt roads and I have never had an issue with my slotted/dimpled rotors. They have never caught anything up in them the dimples and slots arnt deep enough to cause concern for that

Reactions: BWL

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
After listening to h395, and then buying a set for my wife's rav 4 and seeing how the pads really grab nicely, and seeing Smiley's review on Amazon, I bought a set of wanger OEX pads and e coated rotors, less then 100 bucks for the set Amazon. I would say a real good quality for a budget brake. Haven't put them on the ram yet, but the wife's car is really sweet how fast the wagner OEX pad grabs the rotor and stops that thing. Even after a month of commuting it really grabs better, so it isn't a brand new brake thing, it is a material thing commplimented by the extra slots of the OEX pad. There not slotted rotors, but h395 sure put them to the test on the ikeman towing a trailer. The pads themselves can disapate heat. Maybe if someone was commuting and in commute traffic or doing serious towing all the time or racing of any kind, I'd look at steping up, but for joe shmo, this suits me.

OEX-LF-PAIR.png

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After listening to h395, and then buying a set for my wife's rav 4 and seeing how the pads really grab nicely, and seeing Smiley's review on Amazon, I bought a set of wanger OEX pads and e coated rotors, less then 100 bucks for the set Amazon. I would say a real good quality for a budget brake. Haven't put them on the ram yet, but the wife's car is really sweet how fast the wagner OEX pad grabs the rotor and stops that thing. Even after a month of commuting it really grabs better, so it isn't a brand new brake thing, it is a material thing commplimented by the extra slots of the OEX pad. There not slotted rotors, but h395 sure put them to the test on the ikeman towing a trailer. The pads themselves can disapate heat. Maybe if someone was commuting and in commute traffic or doing serious towing all the time or racing of any kind, I'd look at steping up, but for joe shmo, this suits me.

OEX-LF-PAIR.png
+1for Wagner oex...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

All dirt bikes, atvs, and utvs run drilled rotors. You never hear that issue ever coming up.

NASCARR5Valaint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The person who suggested the Wagner OEX pads is totally correct in suggesting these pads. On rotors, I highly suggest you STAY away from drilled rotors especially if trailer towing or very heavy braking. It seems the drilled rotors can crack where the drilled hole is. After all that hole is a high stressed area, believe it or not. Grooved is the way to go. As far as rotors goes, I can't answer that question except to say rotor material is of the very top question for what is better or best. My information comes from a brake engineer who works for brand (F) if you will. Testing all types of pads, rotor material is his job and we both are racing buddies, so........ The Dodge Charger police chase car brakes, DB8 code, are so far superior to all others in the police cars made that they made everyone else look silly in testing, done by different states and police departments. Brake pads used in the Mopars, Wagner OEX! I could go on and on about this testing and what brand X did after all tests were done, about going out and buying a Dodge police car to test by themselves, by why? For all those out there who are waiting for brakes in a big heavy truck that will stop on a dime and give you change, wait a couple of years and carbon rotors will be available at a price that all can afford. Yes Dodge fans, they are coming and not to mention in 12 inch size and larger at half the weight! All brands have been testing carbon rotors for some time now. Just as a side note here; you'd be very surprised at what has been discovered about brake calipers lately? Seems one of the better brands of calipers in testing for racing has failed badly because of caliper flex at high pressures and piston cylinders going out of round. Start looking for "printed" Titanium alloys brake calipers coming soon to a place of brake heaven soon.

blade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have the z36 truck and tow package
i didn't bother w remaned red calipers, got element3
new calipers instead. the powder coat red
looks like sanford and son after a couple years

the powerstop stuff is good for someone who isn't
rich

brembo and wilwood are out of reach financially for me

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Fully agree with post #15. Over the years I have attended some good manufactures schools. Learned some good basic principals and facts when it comes to brakes, towing and rotor life. Slotted high carbon steel rotors for trucks and towing is preferred. Today, must match the pads to the rotor. I run Raebestos severe duty, never turn high carbon steel front rotors. Their matching pad is required for best performance. The pads wear faster with this rotor, but performance and cost to replace pads is the difference.

Rt71668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which rotors and pads come stock with the 1500 ? I have 45k miles on my 2017 sport night addition and they are both still going strong and I live in the city and brake often!

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got about 1K miles on my EBC yellow stuff. I've only tested them braking moderately a couple of times. Pretty confident if I stomped the brakes without a seat belt on, it would instantly put my face into the windshield, no joke. That's with 37x13.5 meat too.
IMG_20190126_015255.jpg

Last edited:

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of rotors do you have? EBC? Which one?