Best Tires for Western NY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OttxRvinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
I currently live in Buffalo, NY. I have a stock 2018 Dodge Ram 1500. I currently run Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. They will need replacing before winter here soon and I'm looking for suggestions on tires to run. Looking for an AT tire that has good performance for mainly snow and wet traction. I will be running them year round. I'm just curious on people's opinions. Thank you in advance!

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I like using tire rack's website tire selection guide. You get to read actual consumer reviews on the tires the guide will suggest for your use.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is your truck mostly a pavement pounder? You'll need something good in snow. Any of the common tires you see guys recommending should work well. Here's a thread going on right now. There's a ba-zillion other tire threads, some real long, if you do a search. Good luck in your search. :waytogo:

OP
OP
O

OttxRvinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
I like using tire rack's website tire selection guide. You get to read actual consumer reviews on the tires the guide will suggest for your use.
I will check into it, thank you!

OP
OP
O

OttxRvinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Is your truck mostly a pavement pounder? You'll need something good in snow. Any of the common tires you see guys recommending should work well. Here's a thread going on right now. There's a ba-zillion other tire threads, some real long, if you do a search. Good luck in your search. :waytogo:

I'm a newbie to the forum. Thank you for the information! Yes, it's primarily a pavement pounder!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum :favorites13:

Some of the top tires (for winter) owners here seem to like are:
Cooper AT3 or ATX
Falcon Wildpeak
BF Goodrich AT KO2

Any of those would be good. The BFG might offer even greater winter tread if you're in the real high-snow zone there in Buffalo. The tread blocks are somewhat more horizontal. There are a ton of good winter tires out there. Best of luck!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
From personal experience, I can tell you Cooper AT3 4S will get through rain snow and anything Jersey weather threw at me. They performed flawlessly except in longevity. Only lasted 29000 miles and were completely done. However, if longevity isn’t a priority for you, the coopers won’t get you stranded.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From personal experience, I can tell you Cooper AT3 4S will get through rain snow and anything Jersey weather threw at me. They performed flawlessly except in longevity. Only lasted 29000 miles and were completely done. However, if longevity isn’t a priority for you, the coopers won’t get you stranded.

+1
Coopers, Goodyear, and now Bridgestone are on my do-not-buy list, and mainly due to poor longevity.
Example: I was all set to LOVE my Bridgestones until I found
the receipt and realized I was replacing them at 22,000 miles.
I now have Falken Wildpeak AT3W on the truck, but only for a
month or 2 at most. I love everything I have experienced so far.
I can't speak to longevity or snow performance except to say
they get good reviews, but so does every other tire shown here.

Even with 4wd, living in or near Buffalo think I might be looking
at dedicated snow/winter tires. I have heard the nightmares
about record lake-effect snowfalls in your area. Good luck!

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I have absolutly no use for so called "all season" tires. Their are summer tires and snow tires.
Personaly I run studded Nokian snow tires in the winter, over kill many days but not always.
Some days they are not enough.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
I life in Buffalo and won’t buy anything other than bf good rich at ko2’s!

OP
OP
O

OttxRvinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
+1
Coopers, Goodyear, and now Bridgestone are on my do-not-buy list, and mainly due to poor longevity.
Example: I was all set to LOVE my Bridgestones until I found
the receipt and realized I was replacing them at 22,000 miles.
I now have Falken Wildpeak AT3W on the truck, but only for a
month or 2 at most. I love everything I have experienced so far.
I can't speak to longevity or snow performance except to say
they get good reviews, but so does every other tire shown here.

Even with 4wd, living in or near Buffalo think I might be looking
at dedicated snow/winter tires. I have heard the nightmares
about record lake-effect snowfalls in your area. Good luck!
This is my 2nd set of Duratracs and be it that they are good, the 2 sets I have had they last about 40k, and the more they wear the worse wet traction I get. Anyway, I really like what I hear about BFG ko2s and the Wildpeak AT3W. The Falkens are more affordable but I just don't know if I believe the hype. I don't know anyone who has them personally but so many people online love them!

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Are they really that good or just hyped up?

I have Wildpeak on my truck. When they were new they were Ok.

When it was little rain, or little snow. I found them to suck.

Now just over 50K KM(30K Miles) they are even worse. I did abuse them, speeding, and off-roading a lot.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've looked at the wild peaks tread, and on guy's truck when they're 1/2 worn down.... and IDK, to me it looks like a better all-season thread (incl snow) than a heavy-snow-type tire like you guys get over there. Cooper has a winter tire that's great and I would say even better for heavy snow.

I put a set of THESE Multi-Mile Wild Country tires (pic below) on my plow Jeep a couple years ago after a lot of research ...and in snow they're great...and real good on the dry too. No-namers but they are made by a large international tire company (like top 10 or 15) with a good track record ..and look great in terms of tire construction. Plus they have white wall (in my size), which is a requirement for my vehicles ...even my snow plow POS jeep! LOL. Keep an eye out, they often go on a real attractive sale price.

The good on these particular M-M's are: 1) The tread is fairly deep and ALL tread blocks go down to the carcass. That's real good for allowing slush to squeeze out. 2) The tread blocks represent quite a few horizontal-ish angles which provide great tractive force in dry snow. 3) Individual knobs hold wet and deep snow. 4) Plenty of sipes and slightly wider spaces than most tires, which hold a little more snow for good traction (actual good snow traction is the result of trapped snow crystals in tires, interlocking with ground snow ..that's the science). These plow through deep snow real well. Overall they're a great tire in the snow...and I've tried several sets of different tires on plows over the years. IDK if they have A/T tires though in your size. You have to look.

The other real great winter tire I've used a long time are Goodyear Wranglers with THIS exact tread. As you can see, they're similar to the Multi-Mile tires below, only the M/M's have a little wider spacing...but not too wide. I plowed a crapload of good snow for many years with the G/Y Wranglers ...with that particular tread.. while they lasted. And even when the tire was worn to only 25%, they STILL had good tread left (tread blocks went to the carcass) and were very usable. I think it's a great all around tire. I would AVOID any tire which each tread block did NOT go all the way to the carcass. Those, appear semi-bald when they still have 1/3 tread left, and get wonky in the slush. You don't get your money's worth with tires like that.

Pic of my Jeep's Multi-Mile's 4SX Note the wider spaces between tread blocks.
Wild Country 4SX Tire.jpg

Wild Country 4SX Tire Tread.jpg

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Syracuse and last year I got a set of General Grabber Arctic tires and they have awesome traction in the snow. I picked up a set of ram sport wheels cheap and mounted my winter tires on them for easy swap from Summer/Winter tires

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is my 2nd set of Duratracs and be it that they are good, the 2 sets I have had they last about 40k, and the more they wear the worse wet traction I get. Anyway, I really like what I hear about BFG ko2s and the Wildpeak AT3W. The Falkens are more affordable but I just don't know if I believe the hype. I don't know anyone who has them personally but so many people online love them!
If you do a search on falkin wildpeaks, you won’t find a negative review on this forum. I don’t believe it’s hype. Lots of Jeep Wrangler guys run them. They are made in China, but they are a top tier tire .