Best AT tires for everyday use and snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
i upgraded from the **** hole stock Goodyears a year or two ago. I went with the nitto ridge grapplers, and not much to complain about. I’ve been looking to replace two of mine that a wheel bearing, and alignment have worn out the outside. Im starting to think that maybe falken wildpeak at3w, general grabber atx, or maybe the cooper at3 4s maybe a better option overall. I don’t tow much if at all, only off-road I do is back roads for camping and fishing so basically just dirt roads and rock. The one thing I do want is good traction in the snow. I live in the Adirondacks and we can get up to 32” in a snow storm. I don’t know if it’s worth switching over 4 all new tires or just saying ehh and grab two new ridge grapplers for the two that are worn down on the outside.

Last edited:

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
if it’s 4 wheel drive get all 4. I live in Buffalo and always purchased bf good rich at ko2’s. Never had a problem in winter and my ram rode smooth as silk flying 80mph + to lake George last month.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Even though popular here, you can take michelin's off the list unless you want recycled plastic in your tires, their new agenda. Cooper top choice wildpeak a great value pick, but BFG's are my favorite from my experiences.

Woke Michelin reportedly tested for breakage resistance, toughness, and thermal stability. Well jeeze that's just great, anything about longevity?? Opps, maybe this darwin move works out but why take a chance with you and your families lives? There are plenty of things they can use recycled plastic for, it doesnt have to go into tires, this is a "choice". It certainly isnt being stated this is a better product then plastic that wasnt previously denatured.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Even though popular here, you can take michelin's off the list unless you want recycled plastic in your tires, their new agenda. Cooper top choice wildpeak a great value pick, but BFG's are my favorite from my experiences.

Woke Michelin reportedly tested for breakage resistance, toughness, and thermal stability. Well jeeze that's just great, anything about longevity?? Opps, maybe this darwin move works out but why take a chance with you and your families lives? There are plenty of things they can use recycled plastic for, it doesnt have to go into tires, this is a "choice". It certainly isnt being stated this is a better product then plastic that wasnt previously denatured.
Every set of Michelins I've had started getting dry cracks in the sidewalls after a few years. Never had that problem with BFG's or my present Coopers.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Every set of Michelins I've had started getting dry cracks in the sidewalls after a few years. Never had that problem with BFG's or my present Coopers.
You would think if plastic recycling was even possible that greenpeace would support this activity? LOL, if these people can't even get recycling right, why do we let them run anything? Now, they will put this stuff into tires that travel kids to the schools in tact?? Man, how many people are gonna buy these tires? Not even out yet, soon to be. Think about the stretching of tires with heat cycles and psi differences as they heat up. It has the potential to be a larger disaster then firestone and ford back in the day.

The vast majority of plastic that people use, and in many cases put into blue recycling bins, is headed to landfills, or worse, according to a report from Greenpeace on the state of plastic recycling in the U.S.

The report cites separate data published this May which revealed that the amount of plastic actually turned into new things has fallen to new lows of around 5%. That number is expected to drop further as more plastic is produced.

Greenpeace found that no plastic — not even soda bottles, one of the most prolific items thrown into recycling bins — meets the threshold to be called "recyclable" according to standards set by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation New Plastic Economy Initiative. Plastic must have a recycling rate of 30% to reach that standard; no plastic has ever been recycled and reused close to that rate.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had Ridge Grapplers and hated 'em. Aside from good looks, they had terrible wet traction and they didn't last. I'm running Cooper AT3s now. They are lasting like crazy. Traction is good too. I run dedicated snow tires, but the AT3s have seen a little winter action. They're not bad.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just make sure any AT tire you decide on has the 3PMSF symbol and you'll be good for snow. Unlike the M+S rating, the 3PMSF rating actually means something. I run Les Schwab Open Range AT tires and they have been phenomenal in winter driving.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run Wildpeaks AT3W's, but only have C rated. They have only been in snow once, did well. It is more of a water, mud issue here, but I do have M & S/275 65R18, 3PMSF rated tires.

New tire on truck.jpgNew tires left side truck.jpg

mm.JPG

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just had a set of Pathfinder AT installed on my Ram, so far no issues with ride noise, yet to find out for winter weather. Reviews were decent.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had a set of Pathfinder AT installed on my Ram, so far no issues with ride noise, yet to find out for winter weather. Reviews were decent.
Ft Campbell huh, lol.

OP
OP
ThorsRams

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
Thanks for info guys…yea I’ve looked at bfg they are lil higher priced but if worth it I’ll have to get them I do more road than off-road. I like my nittos but felt in corners and rain they could be better. Oddly in snow didn’t have an issue with the nittos. I loved my cooper at3 on the jeep patriot I had, even took that in some deeper mudd and it hooked up well. Truck gets used more for house stuf. I’ll have to see where I can get a decent deal for one of the sets

OP
OP
ThorsRams

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
I had Ridge Grapplers and hated 'em. Aside from good looks, they had terrible wet traction and they didn't last. I'm running Cooper AT3s now. They are lasting like crazy. Traction is good too. I run dedicated snow tires, but the AT3s have seen a little winter action. They're not bad.
Yea I noticed in rain on corners were not the best with the ridge grapplers. Dry and snow they were great, but I’d like a lil better performance on dry and wet corners… maybe bfg if I can them cheaper but I may go falken or cooper for a all year round tire. Wish I could afford two sets of rims and tires it would be idea maybe down the road I can pick up a cheap pair of rims

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for info guys…yea I’ve looked at bfg they are lil higher priced but if worth it I’ll have to get them I do more road than off-road. I like my nittos but felt in corners and rain they could be better. Oddly in snow didn’t have an issue with the nittos. I loved my cooper at3 on the jeep patriot I had, even took that in some deeper mudd and it hooked up well. Truck gets used more for house stuf. I’ll have to see where I can get a decent deal for one of the sets
BFG's are stout, but I wouldnt get load e unless you absolutely need them, they are harsh. I have had many sets of bfg's and are easily my favorite tire, but this is my first load e tire and they are a rough road. You can take some air out and make them more comfortable, but I'd look at bfg's entry tires. They were under a grand installed costco.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
BFG's are stout, but I wouldnt get load e unless you absolutely need them, they are harsh. I have had many sets of bfg's and are easily my favorite tire, but this is my first load e tire and they are a rough road. You can take some air out and make them more comfortable, but I'd look at bfg's entry tires. They were under a grand installed costco.
I have the load range E pumped up to 47-50 psi depending on temperature this time of year and I think the are smooth with maybe the exception of a bump on a high way or such at high speeds

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I noticed in rain on corners were not the best with the ridge grapplers. Dry and snow they were great, but I’d like a lil better performance on dry and wet corners… maybe bfg if I can them cheaper but I may go falken or cooper for a all year round tire. Wish I could afford two sets of rims and tires it would be idea maybe down the road I can pick up a cheap pair of rims

I've always had dedicated winter tires and never see that changing, it's not about cost, it's about safety and enjoyment. Crappy tires in the winter are simply dangerous, no fun, and an illogical move, AFAIC. No offence intended.

When I bought my '21 Warlock in January of '22, it came with OEM crap tires on 20" black alloy rims.

I had the dealership transfer my near-new Michelin tires onto the 20" rims for summer and bought new OEM 17" steel take-off rims from the dealership for $69 Canadian each. The closest price I could find at an automotive store was almost double the price.

Most automotive parts are less expensive in the US. At the current US/Canadian exchange rate, those $69 rims would be about $50 US but with all the stupidity in the past few years, who knows what the price is now?

I've used BFG KO2s since 2008, I think they were KO1s then, and they're fantastic in deep snow.

One other cost-value consideration is when you use dedicated snow tires, both summer & winter tires last almost twice as long. You pay more upfront but winter driving is so much safer and so much more fun with good-quality tires, it's a no-brainer in my mind.

We get snow dumps of several feet, periodically throughout the winter, it never slows me down or causes much concern. I live in a rural area and sometimes we don't see a plow for up to 36 hours after one of these huge snow dumps, and I just can't wait to get my truck out every time. :cool:

YMMV

OP
OP
ThorsRams

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
Yea Ive noticed bfgs tend to be tough and better off-road and decent winter wise… only compare to the falken at3w and cooper at3 ltx seem to be better on dry pavement handling… yea idk if I will need e range bc I don’t really haul/tow much once in awhile I’ll haul some stuff in the bed pellets or a Harley or help someone move

OP
OP
ThorsRams

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
I've always had dedicated winter tires and never see that changing, it's not about cost, it's about safety and enjoyment. Crappy tires in the winter are simply dangerous, no fun, and an illogical move, AFAIC. No offence intended.

When I bought my '21 Warlock in January of '22, it came with OEM crap tires on 20" black alloy rims.

I had the dealership transfer my near-new Michelin tires onto the 20" rims for summer and bought new OEM 17" steel take-off rims from the dealership for $69 Canadian each. The closest price I could find at an automotive store was almost double the price.

Most automotive parts are less expensive in the US. At the current US/Canadian exchange rate, those $69 rims would be about $50 US but with all the stupidity in the past few years, who knows what the price is now?

I've used BFG KO2s since 2008, I think they were KO1s then, and they're fantastic in deep snow.

One other cost-value consideration is when you use dedicated snow tires, both summer & winter tires last almost twice as long. You pay more upfront but winter driving is so much safer and so much more fun with good-quality tires, it's a no-brainer in my mind.

We get snow dumps of several feet, periodically throughout the winter, it never slows me down or causes much concern. I live in a rural area and sometimes we don't see a plow for up to 36 hours after one of these huge snow dumps, and I just can't wait to get my truck out every time. :cool:

YMMV

Yea that makes sense with alternating between the two it’ll last. I used to love coopers snow masters for the snow when I had a car. I never really hated fires bedside good year wranglers all season they were ass in the rain ..just miserable …

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another vote for pumped-up E-rated BFGs here. I use 245/75/17 set to 42/40 F/R.

Maybe, I'm used to the truck ride comfort after driving a Tundra for 14 years.
My Ram is much more comfy than the Tundra ever was. :cool:

I should mention, the only reason I bought E-rated tires was the availability, at the time. I wouldn't recommend them unless your load use calls for E-rated. They do kick ass though.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, there's plenty of positive feedback from Wildpeak and Cooper tire Ram owners in snowy regions ..on this site. You won't go wrong with either.

I too have had Michelins dry-crack real quick. But if tires last you a couple years, you'll likely wear them out before they cause trouble. The Goodyear Wranglers have been good in snow for me. I put Hankook Dynapro AT2's on my hummer (see pic below) and they were great last winter in the snow, slush and deep stuff. They have treadblocks which are a bit more horizontal and wider spaces between the tread (but not too wide), and tread blocks which go all the way to the tire carcass, so they still "bite" when there's 1/3 tread left. Some tires appear worn-out when they get to 1/3 tread life. That annoys me, so I avoid tires that do that. But they are E-rated and somewhat jarring (good for off-road) ...but I'm almost sure they have non E-rated too in the same size.

I have 115T Coopers HERE on my Ram and they are nice & smooth, not jarring. But I don't drive it in the winter. I have these no-namers on my plow Jeep HERE ...and I love them in the snow. Quiet, larger gaps between the tread and they can churn deep snow. They are made by a very large company but they provide excellent traction. Just looking the tire over it seems very well made. I have the non e-load version. I would give them thumbs up. Good luck!

Hankook Dynapro AT2 pic:
New Tires Tread_small2.jpg

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

YMMV

I share that sentiment. We run studdless snow tires on both of our Audi's in winter and summer performance tires the rest of the year. The truck doesn't see much use in winter though so we go with the 3PMSF rated AT tires I mentioned in my last post.

But it seems our definitions of dedicated winter tires might be different. KO2's aren't snow tires, and not within my definition of dedicated winter tires. But it could be that you only run them in winter, which would make them your dedicated winter tires. Either way I've used KO2's and in my opinion they work great in the snow and slush we get here. You can't really go wrong with them for year round driving. My reason for going with another tire was the price. The Open Range tires I use are about the same price as the Falken's. And I don't see any difference in how well they work for my uses and conditions seen when driving the truck.