Best way to remove lens from headlamps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Little Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm giving in and ordering 4300K hids with projectors from Retroshop to upgrade my "gets the job done" factory headlights. I'm up to the challenge this offers, but I'm not sure which way is "best" for "breaking" free the lens... what do y'all suggest?

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Heat it in your oven for about 12 min on 250 and check periodically to make sure your oven isn't burning too hot. Take it out and start prying the lens off with a flat head or I used nylon tools for stereo installation and keep working with it. The glue starts to cool quickly so you'll have to throw it back in the oven a few times and repeat the process. Make sure not to scratch the inside of the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Little Red

Little Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
http://www.ramforum.com/f75/how_painting_baking_your_headlights_right_way_many_pics-23005/

That should help, it has takeing them apart and putting them back together. Good luck and we want pics later!

Thanks for the link.

Heat it in your oven for about 12 min on 250 and check periodically to make sure your oven isn't burning too hot. Take it out and start prying the lens off with a flat head or I used nylon tools for stereo installation and keep working with it. The glue starts to cool quickly so you'll have to throw it back in the oven a few times and repeat the process. Make sure not to scratch the inside of the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it's like soldering outside, while it's 5°, and the wiring doesn't want to stay hot.. sounds fun. lol Thanks for the input.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not sure which way is "best" for "breaking" free the lens... what do y'all suggest?
Well since you've gotten the actual correct answer. I can now add my expertise (none) to the thread.
The best way to break the lens for free is a shopping cart on a slanted parking lot.