Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheddarBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I change my oil every 2500 miles, full synthetic high mileage oil filter and air filter every 10,000. My truck has about 140,000 miles on it. Every time I change my oil, it is black. I have no leaks and I look it over every 2500 miles. Any idea what would be causing this. Not effecting performance as far as I can tell.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Without an oil analysis one can only assume that the black is from soot, which is blow by the compression rings. If you're not using any oil, you could always do a compression test and make sure the cylinders are all in the same range. While 2500 miles between changes seems pretty often to me, I guess it depends on how often you drive the rig. If it does a lot of sitting (years) between rides. But if you're not using any oil and there is no smoke, I wouldn't worry about it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Color is irrelevant to how well an oil is performing or how clean it is. Certain additives change color when exposed to heat. You're wasting money and time with that short of an interval, though I suppose there's plenty of things worse to waste money and time on.