Black paint water spot easy solution!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
So I'm very picky about my things looking good..which has been a battle with my truck because of the black paint. Water spots form all over the truck no matter what I tried. I tried "spotless" wash soaps, washing in the shade, parking in the shop after, and driving to the car wash and using spotless rinse (this worked but costs $4 and the truck gets dirty on the way there because it's wet and I have to drive on dusty roads).

Eventually I bought microfiber towels, which work well..unless they get too wet. There is a fine line with them on being too wet that they cause streaks and too dry that they won't wipe off the water marks. I eventually got that hang of it but it took a long time to dry the truck down perfectly.

It was frustrating because if I wanted to wash the truck it turned into a 45 minute ordeal. I had heard of distilled water helping so I thought I'd try it out.

I have a dehumidifier, and if you didn't already know, the water that is collected in a dehumidifier is distilled water. Mine collects 1.5 gal every 2 days. I ordered up a garden sprayer off amazon for $15 thinking if this doesn't work, it's only $15 invested. Link to sprayer below:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00GN6...i=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=garden+sprayer

1 gal garden sprayer Sprayer. My bike is also drying off on the background! Haha

2ba1bcc53986e9583b81cb39c3853828.jpg

I next day shipped it and tried it out on a small section of the truck. Seemed to work well! Today I washed the whole truck. Here is a step by step on how I did it:

1. Pre rinse with regular water
2. Wash with that "no spot" soap/wax. (water beads nicely off when you leave it sitting on the paint for 1 min)
3. Rinse off with regular water
4. Rinse down whole truck throughly with distilled water. Goal here is to wash off all the regular water that has the minerals and salt in it.
5. Wait!

So here's the finished product:

3cc77136d5241d4d9dda1a8b3f46d077.jpg

The bit of dirt on the fender flare isn't water spots, I guess I missed a spot when washing the truck! Lol

249a81b29e37657e5a8ca381fdeffd13.jpg

Didn't work quite as well on the windshield. Maybe I didn't wash it well enough. However this was the case with all windows. I wiped them all with the microfiber towel.

ee04abd3d6a506588af02ad4f5960ede.jpg

A few small spots on quarter panel. One quick wipe with a microfiber towel and they're gone!

86888bbf57fb690f62e8ff75e4c87eb3.jpg

c12eede8d3edd3049273898833801511.jpg

There were a few spots here and there and a couple runs underneath emblems, but over all its 98% better than how I used to do it! Now I only have to wipe a few small areas, saves me a ton of time!

Figured I'd post this up for anyone who struggles with water spots. This will make your life way easier!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks! This should be a "sticky" in the detail section.
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every time I see someone working on a black truck, I think about what someone told me a long time ago----"If you rubbed on me as much as you rub on that truck, you might have more dependents". That was the last black vehicle I had. :naughty::naughty:
Jay

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Every time I see someone working on a black truck, I think about what someone told me a long time ago----"If you rubbed on me as much as you rub on that truck, you might have more dependents". That was the last black vehicle I had. :naughty::naughty:
Jay
Lmao yeah black is a ***** to clean! Looks good when it is though!

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Time to wash up in those wheel wells now to complete the detailing job ;)

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Time to wash up in those wheel wells now to complete the detailing job ;)
Lmao yeah I didn't use the power washer so it didn't wash that dirt out very well!

Usually I'd also hit the wheel wells with the foaming tire cleaner, that does a pretty good job too!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another way I learned, by accident, with keeping off water spots is washing it in the rain. I have very hard water and believe it or not, it dries spot free with the rain helping to raise the truck off.

Attachments

• 20150712_180533a.jpg
    20150712_180533a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 250
OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Another way I learned, by accident, with keeping off water spots is washing it in the rain. I have very hard water and believe it or not, it dries spot free with the rain helping to raise the truck off.
Yes I've done that as well! (Also by accident lol) But it doesn't rain very often here so I don't have that luxury lol

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last edited:

burn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hi,

I use the blower to blow water of the paint and out of the hidden corners like badges, mirrors, flares.
then use micro towel and some quick polish spray to finish the paint.
last, take a nap... this is exhausting on the truck.

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
hi,

I use the blower to blow water of the paint and out of the hidden corners like badges, mirrors, flares.
then use micro towel and some quick polish spray to finish the paint.
last, take a nap... this is exhausting on the truck.
I've tried the leaf blower thing too actually. Too much work lol! I'm trying to making the wash go quicker but still look great.

I used to use the microfiber towels to completely dry the truck. I had to do the whole truck twice once to get the water off, once to wipe the streaks from the microfiber towel off. Even with the leaf blower I had to do that.

This way I just rinse it down after the wash and walk away! When it's almost completely dry I just wipe the windows and if there are any streaks that came from an emblem I'll wipe there too.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Very nice tip. Thanks!

Now, if Phoenix only had enough moisture to drown a gnat, I might be able to use that myself without having to buy distilled water. :D

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Meguires Quick Detailer works for me...after shammie!! Black is a B!t@# but like you said ...when its clean ..Its frickin badAce!!!

Muscle Car Memories

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Glad I could help!

If ya want to get rid of water sports use a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and white vinegar...

Spray and wipe using a microfiber towel on each panel as you go. Works perfectly!

It also works on glass!

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
If ya want to get rid of water sports use a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and white vinegar...

Spray and wipe using a microfiber towel on each panel as you go. Works perfectly!

It also works on glass!
Haha that would take a while! If I just spray with distilled water and let it dry in the shade I get hardly any spots!

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I believe they discontinued that correct? My dad had one he used on his Hatley, he swore by it! Now he can't get the filters anymore though

Tell your dad to quit being a cheapass. You can still get them from scalpers :)