Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read the first 10 pages or so then started to skim, but does this issue only seem to arise on the Heavy Electric setting or does it do it on any setting? I haven't hooked up to my camper yet, but when pulling the skid steer all seemed to be OK.

From everything I've read here and elsewhere you are correct, it's only an issue for those using heavy electric.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
From everything I've read here and elsewhere you are correct, it's only an issue for those using heavy electric.
It doesn't matter if it is heavy electric or light electric, the problem is only on trailers with big brakes on the axles.

riverss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I had a thought about this (I know dangerous)
When installing an aftermarket controller and connecting it thru the ITBM, the trailer brakes work correct?

So if this is the case...is it the ITBM or could it be with the dash controller that it issue is with?

previous messages state that you unplug one of the connectors to the oe controller and plug the after market controller into it and the truck does not know the change has been made.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
cc rider,Kwhite,Totesmygoats,BossHogg,monteholic; guys my truck just spent the day with the local Ram service mgr and i want you all to know that it passed the "star"'Blower test' i can sleep good to night.

I guess a congratulations is in order. How Chrysler can allow this non-sense to continue to propagate is beyond me.

Cpylot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
For What Its Worth

Hope not to add to the confusion, but...

Took delivery of my sig 16 just over a week ago and used it as commuter for the week to put on the recommended 500 miles for differential break in.
Just towed with it for the first time on Fri with a short empty run, trailer weight of about 10800 plus/minus 150 or so.
Did the recommended brake controller set up using heavy elect setting and started with gain at 8 (because this setting worked well on my previous 2014).
Ended up with a gain of 8.5 and the brakes worked great. It will lock them up in dirt driveway and will stop the truck quickly on their own from 25mph on pavement. I was very careful not to break the 30 mph threshold that has been discussed extensively in this thread.
I used the trailer to help my kids family move yesterday with lots of in town start and stop driving and even did a couple of tests when there was no traffic simulating emergency stop and never felt that I was being "pushed"
I can only guess that my loaded weight was between 12K & 12.5K.
The trailer has a pair of the dexter 7000 lbs axles, with the big 12v brakes.
Hopefully this little bit of info helps some of you.
One last thanks to Boss, NASA etc that have put so much effort into this issue. You made me and lots of others aware of a potentially catastrophic problem to be aware of and check for.

riverss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
here is an update on my adventure. after visiting the local Ram service center and having my P-3 installed as instructed by RCC i paid the $45.00. that was Friday and Monday RCC calls me and i am instructed to send them the receipts and will call me later this week and tell me how they are going to handle this.bottom line is that i have brakes that work now. I will post the outcome when i learn it.

ChuckLHC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummings
P3 Update

Made my first 190 mi trip with the new P3 Installed. All I can say is, This is how a Brake Controller should work!

Un-plug the factory ITBC and plug in an aftermarket controller that actually works..............
What a shame Ram cannot get this figured out.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
too bad FCA and Tekonsha couldn't get together and make an ITBM that the factory dash controller could plug into

yycmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't but that is an idea I will explore. I had my truck in for service a few weeks ago and the ITBM was one of the items on my hit list. Of course, they say working as designed because the were no codes set but they didn't have any methods of testing the output of the brake controller. They asked me to bring the trailer in.

Really I ask, you want me to bring a 42 foot fifth wheel trailer here. Like most dealerships these days, they have cars parked everywhere including the drive lanes. Well the service writer said, semis come and go all day long. I looked at him and said, I'm not a truck driver and if I have to backup much we are in trouble. We both laughed. I'm going to take a day and bring the trailer in, I'm also going to let Erica know which day so if her side wants to see they can. Unless something changes with Chrysler's attitude, I will not leave the truck and trailer with them (post 563).

As far as no codes being set. This statement has some value but the technician has to realize the possibilities of the software not designed to catch all fail conditions and report out as a DTC.

I have the same issue and have been following the threads on this and another couple of forums. I have a case open with FCA and they asked I take the dealer shop foreman on a drive with the trailer attached. The foreman agreed that braking was not as he would have expected. He did communicate that to FCA and it was noted on the file.

Subsequently when I spoke to two different reps at FCA regarding the case they seemed to be reading from a script. The wording was "It is working as designed. If you are not satisfied with the performance you can file a complaint with FCA, but it is not a warranty issue."

I think I will give up and just buy the P3....

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
^^^ That just sucks.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Subsequently when I spoke to two different reps at FCA regarding the case they seemed to be reading from a script. The wording was "It is working as designed. If you are not satisfied with the performance you can file a complaint with FCA, but it is not a warranty issue."

I think I will give up and just buy the P3....

There is a way to create an argument against "operating as designed".

Our owners' manual has verbiage that states the ITBM has been designed and verified with electric trailer brakes.

It also tells us how to set the gain value. "Slide the manual brake control lever to the left to activate power to the trailer’s electric brakes independent of the tow vehicle’s brakes. If the manual brake control lever is activated while the brake is also applied, the greater of the two inputs determines the power sent to the trailer brakes." No mention of vehicle speed dependence.

Then they talk about gain, "The GAIN setting is used to set the trailer brake control for the specific towing condition and should be changed as towing conditions change. Changes to towing conditions include trailer load, vehicle load, road conditions and weather." So they do understand heavier trailers will need a higher gain setting. Now you are getting into the core of the issue and this clearly establishes the first data point that the ITBM does not work as intended or documented.

Next is the how to procedure to set gain. You are told to set the gain at speeds of 20 to 25 MPH, well below the 30 MPH threshold that limits the ITBM's output to 70%. Under this published process, it is impossible to properly set the gain. The second data point that boldly demonstrates there is an issue with the ITBM.

If the current ITBM design goes unchanged for MY17, a whole new round of complains will fire up as 2017 HDs are delivered.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
^^^ "This is coherent, succinct and employs fact and logic to firmly base an argument. It is therefore disqualified due to being completely incomprehensible by FCA. Thank you for your continued involvement."
-proposed FCA response

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

riverss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Gentlemen Ram Customer Assistance got back with me and i was told that they would repay to me the out of pocket expense on the purchase of the p3 plus the installation fee paid for by me to have it installed. we visited for a bit and decided ILO $ i would be better comped by services. 4 years @ 4 per year of free oil and filter change plus tire rotations at any Ram service center. when Ram does retrofit to a new controller i can change back to it. it is not a perfect world and i feel that under the circumstances that it is a fair conclusion for me. i want to thank all of the contributors of data and situations on this forum that i was able to present my case in a more detailed way that it had substance . i was treated with respect and courteously by the local service center and by the representative at RCA. for this i thank all of you. I am now Safely pulling my 34 ft 5th wheel through the hills of AR,TN,KY,W VA,VA,MD. and later this year into the mountains of NM & CO. that is my story

Uaintlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the factory brake controller on my 1500, and haven't tried it,
hope I dont have any problems

Jim2015RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just finished testing my 2015 RAM with the factory installed Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (ITBC). My enclosed car trailer has dual 5,200 lb Dexter axles with electric brakes (10k trailer rating). With the truck running at idle and the electrical connector (7-way) plugged in, I measured the voltage at the trailer junction box where the cable is attached. I took measurements with the ITBC set to Heavy Electric, then to Light Electric. Measurements were taken by pressing the brake pedal with heavy force and by sliding the manual lever to the full position. First number is pedal / second is slider. Here are the results:

Gain__Heavy____Light
5.0 __6.7/4.1 _4.8/4.8 Volts DC
10.0__7.9/7.9 _10.0/10.0 Volts DC

It seems the Heavy electric setting doesn't work fully.
I believe 10 Volts is the design level.

linkjay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

We are in the process of purchasing a new truck. We have been looking at the Laramie Power Wagons. I have read up to page 14 and will continue to reading as I am learning a lot. My question is - Is there a solution yet? Are all 2015 and up Rams at risk? We have a 25ft airstream that we will be pulling and having a faulty brake controller is worrisome.

Thank you!