Broken Manifold Studs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Your right it’s not the bolts, mopar stepped them up and used grade 12.9 or grade 8 fasteners. It’s hard to believe the manifolds could warp... if Uve ever had one out they are very heavy and beefy. But somehow they still warp, maybe it’s how much heat the retain and the heads are aluminum which heat and cool much faster leaving the manifold to warp. This is of course after the issue of the different expansion rates.

Yes I believe it is the different metals that is the issue. Think of aluminum foil. It isn’t a very good conductor really. Then think of a cast iron pan it is amazing at heat retention and will stay hot way longer than aluminum does. The factory manifolds are terrible. I went with bbk headers like this BBK (40140) 1-5/8" Silver Ceramic Coated Shorty Tuned-Length Exhaust Header for Dodge Truck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V97KKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lIh9Cb76CK2K2

Then I did stage 8 bolts and factor gaskets.
I am sure I posted this info before but just keeping to present since that was a couple years ago.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I believe it is the different metals that is the issue. Think of aluminum foil. It isn’t a very good conductor really. Then think of a cast iron pan it is amazing at heat retention and will stay hot way longer than aluminum does. The factory manifolds are terrible. I went with bbk headers like this BBK (40140) 1-5/8" Silver Ceramic Coated Shorty Tuned-Length Exhaust Header for Dodge Truck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V97KKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lIh9Cb76CK2K2

Then I did stage 8 bolts and factor gaskets.
I am sure I posted this info before but just keeping to present since that was a couple years ago.

how those look after 2 years? Trying to decide between these and the JBA. JBA's has slots for the bottom bolts so I am thinking install may be easier