Bushwhacker Rocker Guards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I received my Bushwhacker rocker guards a couple of days ago. Got around to installing them.....well, the passenger side anyways.

I have the OEM wheel to wheel running boards. To use the Bushwhacker rocker guards, I had to trim out the lower part of the guard to the width of the running board mounts. Kind of a pain n the ***, but not horrible.

I used a small cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool to keep the cuts straight and used some 80 grit sand paper to clean up the cuts. I'm hoping to get the driver's side done tomorrow hopefully. I'll post pics later.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
upload_2018-9-11_19-46-18.png

upload_2018-9-11_19-46-52.png

upload_2018-9-11_19-47-41.png

upload_2018-9-11_19-48-6.png

upload_2018-9-11_19-48-32.png

Just some pictures of the passenger side. There was no instructions that came with these. There are four pieces that come with the Bushwhacker guards. (Crew cabs only) They are not made for crew cabs with running boards.

I had to cut out the bottom of the rocker guard where the running boards are mounted to the cab. I started with the rear rocker guard first. With the doors open I lined up the rear guard with the cab corner and the curved edge of the top of the guard below the rear corner of the rear passenger door (last picture). The front part of the rear rocker guard should line up with the gap between the front and rear door (2nd to last picture). I marked the lower edge of the rocker guard with a black Sharpie to show where to cut the rocker guard for each edge of the OEM step mounts. I used a Dremel tool with a small cut off wheel and cut the lines that were marked and then cut across to the end of each cut to open up the very bottom part of the rocker guard to allow the flat bottom of the guard to stick to the flat bottom of the cab metal. I peeled the red plastic off the 3M tape a couple of inches back on each side where the tape is attached to the rocker guards and then position the rocker guards in place. There is a sill guard integrated into the rocker guard. Everything lined up well. The front half of the rocker guard is pretty much the same as the rear. When I cut out the area for the step mounts, I did not cut any higher than the bottom of the curve on the rocker guard.

The front guard, I butted the rear of the front guard to the front of the rear rocker guard, and then marked the area where the OEM step mount is and marked the edges and then cut that area of the guard out. Same procedure with the 3M tape, peeled back a few inches off the red cover and lined it up and pushed it on and in place.

The front rocker guard is just off the edge of the front of the rocker panel (2nd picture). Sorry for the muddy picture but it has been raining like crazy up here the last two days. My driveway is a mud puddle. I still have to install the driver's side.....been rainy and nasty out. Going to wait until it warms up here in the next few days to get it done.

If you have a crew cab without running boards or steps, pretty easy install. If you have running boards or steps....you need to trim out or cut the spaces on the Bushwhacker rocker guards where the steps mount to, to get them to work. Not so much as a write up, but an idea of what your in for....LOL.

ehart814

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I can’t see your pics for some reason. I am very interested in these. How do u like them? Does the qualityseem good? I know I’ll have to trim a bit. Do u think they will actually protect? My new tires throw rocks like crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I can’t see your pics for some reason. I am very interested in these. How do u like them? Does the qualityseem good? I know I’ll have to trim a bit. Do u think they will actually protect? My new tires throw rocks like crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They seem to fit well. Just need to take your time to get everything lined up and in place. Quality appears to be pretty good. I never known Bushwhacker to put out a less than quality product. I've noticed that Tapatalk seems to not show pictures that are posted from folks computers.

I have the Nittos on my Ram and I cringe when I hear a stone hit metal..LOL...will see how they do.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
They look nice you did a great job! Wish they made these for Quad cabs as well.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
They look nice you did a great job! Wish they made these for Quad cabs as well.

I have a friend of mine that used these on a quad cab. He cut the front portion of the rear rocker guard to fit the length of the quad cab.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a friend of mine that used these on a quad cab. He cut the front portion of the rear rocker guard to fit the length of the quad cab.

I was looking at these for my QC and I was wondering how to fit them . . . and now I have an answer, thanks.

UpInSm0kE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
^This, good write up. Mine are supposed to show up on the doorstep today. Just bought my 18 BH ED last week but I do not have running boards on mine yet. Down the road i will probably just go with AMP power steps when I get my level/lift installed.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those blend in nicely with the dark coloured Rams.....not sure I'd like them on my white Ram though.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the write-up, OP...I've been contemplating these for awhile now. Since I have a two-tone Reb, these would be perfect, especially since I don't have steps or boards. Even though I've put them on the back burner, I may need to reassess; I believe they'd definitely keep some rocks and debris from damaging the body.

These things would make a great Christmas gift now that I think about it!

TXCOMT

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was thinking of adding these to my truck but having them painted to match first along with set of 2500 flares but i have running boards so im not sure what ill do now

UpInSm0kE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was thinking of adding these to my truck but having them painted to match first along with set of 2500 flares but i have running boards so im not sure what ill do now
They can be painted but they are textured and not smooth. Got mine installed and they look like they will help protect the truck.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Going to try getting the driver's side finished up tomorrow before the rain storms hit....that and a bunch of other household stuff I need to get done.

HoustonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These look great. Interested in getting them, but concerned about them holding water. Have you seen any issues with this?