Buy now or wait for redesign?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will wager that the new redesign may have a 10 speed trans.... Ford's new Raptor will be running a 10 speed, and the way the industry is going it's all about one uping each other, and fuel economy from these types of avenues.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just took the plunge today and bought a 2015 4x2 Sport Crew with 3:92's and limited slip. 8 gears is plenty and glad I bought it. Stickers at 47K and bought it for 38k. Couldn't pass it up!

OP
OP
B

Burntfire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow! Thanks for all the replies gents! Y'all have me wanting to get a new one even more... If those pictures of the redesign are even close I'm not sure I want to wait. I got an 08 right before the redesign and always regretted it that's why this time I wanted to wait a bit.

The only issue I have is restarting payments... It's really nice paying one note per month.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I will wager that the new redesign may have a 10 speed trans.... Ford's new Raptor will be running a 10 speed, and the way the industry is going it's all about one uping each other, and fuel economy from these types of avenues.

The AllPar links I provided show that 8 is enough. ZF said there is diminishing returns going with more gears. Cost did not outweigh benefits. Ford is also trying to play catch up on the current tranny as I believe they only have a 6 speed available and are also developing a diesel.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500, Hemi 5.7, 3.21
The AllPar links I provided show that 8 is enough. ZF said there is diminishing returns going with more gears. Cost did not outweigh benefits. Ford is also trying to play catch up on the current tranny as I believe they only have a 6 speed available and are also developing a diesel.

Ford just patented an 11 speed tranny this past week :crazy:

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
anybody that doesnt think more gears is necessary think again,

why does a semi have so many more gears? its so you dont stress your motor and tranny as often as you would if you had less gears

ZF is ********, more gears is always better, unless its a drag race car with a 2spd proglide or something drag related.

ford was talking long time for a 10spd tranny, looks like they just upped it to 11

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They never said more gears wasn't better. They just said that each added gear after a certain point makes less of an impact. For example, going from a 6-speed to an 8-speed (2 added gears)might make a difference of 2mpg. But adding 2 more (10-speed) may only increase it by 1mpg rather than 2. Just giving a rough example of what is meant by the law of diminishing returns. At some point it just becomes too costly to justify the benefit.

And you can't really compare a semi's requirement for number of gears to that of a half-ton pickup. They have vastly different load ratings.

Last edited:

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You know, I could learn to like the Rebel which is supposed to hit the dealerships this summer.

10576916_10152242592649364_5253267004700198892_n.jpg

But this one is just plain ugly!

2017-ram.jpg

American car makers need to find their way back to our roots and not just trying to compete with the European- and/or Asian market.

martian171

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport Crew
Engine
the rebel looks o.k IMO, but it might grown on people as time goes on. The second picture looks more like a futuristic tundra than a ram.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
The Rebel is not bad, I'd probably take that grill off and replace it with an aftermarket or the standard thats on the trucks now.

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
The Rebel is not bad, I'd probably take that grill off and replace it with an aftermarket or the standard thats on the trucks now.

Saw the Rebel up close yesterday at the NY auto show. Pretty beefy and it is growing on me, aside from the grille and tailgate.

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
anybody that doesnt think more gears is necessary think again,

why does a semi have so many more gears? its so you dont stress your motor and tranny as often as you would if you had less gears

ZF is ********, more gears is always better, unless its a drag race car with a 2spd proglide or something drag related.

ford was talking long time for a 10spd tranny, looks like they just upped it to 11

Semi trucks also go through about 3-4 gears getting through and intersection. All power is made low so no need in gearing that will spin the engine any higher than they do. Nothing like 5-6k RPM in our trucks. The cherokee with the nine speed supposedly doesn't hit an RPM high enough to get into the 9th gear until you are in triple digits. I'm not going to say 10-11 speeds are a bad idea for Ford but I feel my 8spd does very well and has no need for more.

Cheetah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was on the line about waiting for the Rebel but decided on getting the Powerwagon.

nationalminer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
this is why I lease. If I don't like the latest and greatest I have the option to buy my current vehicle, if I want the newest I can lease that. works for me.

nationalminer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
and the newest isn't always the best either. I took one look at that new front end and tailgate and decided to get the current Ram. not saying all the trucks will move to that design next year or that it wont grow on me but I like the current one so I wanted to pull the trigger

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally, I think 6 with the proper gearing is plenty. I'd love to have 5 or 6 in my barracuda. WEEEE!

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
They put too many more gears in these trucks and they might as well install a CVT....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk