Buying a ram 1500 08, need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking about purchasing this Dodge Ram 1500 with 98k miles on it and it's a 2008. I need to know what problems I may face. I have heard that the dash cracks and I have also heard that the tranny goes bad. What can I do to prevent that from happening? And how will I be able to tell while I'm at the dealership if this is the case for the tranny of course.
I need this truck to last me. Is this the right purchase for me? How can I keep it running?
Anything helps! Thanks a lot

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Vann,
+1 to what Harley said. As for what you can expect........well burning a lot of gas once you realize the sound that hemi makes when you stomp on it. Tranny is 545 and it is relatively solid. It won't do well with power adders but it'll handle the engine fine. Make sure you change the fluid and filter.
Good luck with truck and enjoy,

preachp

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just had the water pump crap out on my 07 w/ 92xxx. I'm pretty sure the shop that did a flush for me used the wrong fluid. Make sure you check the color of the coolant at least. If it's green, it's wrong.

rph74

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram
Engine
4.7 liter 6-Speed Manual
The issues I have had in 3 years with my 2008 is the blend door not allowing heat to the floor ($530 repair), the rear right door lock stopped working due to wires breaking, Air Conditioning hose had a pin sized hole and needed replacement, and a seal somewhere in the driveline needed replacement because of squeaking (cheap $40 repair) and a seized caliper. Not bad for a truck with now 201,000 miles.

Automatic transmissions can be a concern with these trucks. I have the 6 speed manual and it has been great.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think you may have the 2nd and 3rd gen truck issues mixed up. 2nd gen trucks had the dash pad and transmission woes. The 3rd gen trucks have not exhibited those issues.

My 3rd gen truck was rock solid and reliable with only some O2 sensor replacements and one engine oil pressure sensor needing replaced. Oh, and I did have the driveline carrier bearing replaced under warranty.

That's pretty much it until the "crash".

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my '06 for almost 3 years now.

Tach stopped working.

It's rusting pretty bad in spots.

I've recently developed an exhaust leak under the hood. Haven't diagnosed it yet.

Mechanically/Trans - truck has been solid and I have NOT been disappointed with the fuel mileage.

I recommend a Diablo Sport Tuner from Moe's Performance.
Run a Hemi Fever 93octane tune with a HF trans tune and you'll never be able to happily drive it stock again :D

These are good trucks.

Burntfire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my 08 for her entire life...

EGR valve goes out every 60k
Front end is kind of a joke so definitely get that checked out a head of time.
My condenser fan just went out

Still very solid for how hard I drive even at 155k miles!

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say they are definitely no worse than any other.

EVERY thing that moves/operates/functions in some kind of load bearing capacity WILL break. That's just the way it works.

Me I like the look of the RAM and the performance of the HEMI.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My rear diff went out but that's it mostly my fault for not serving it I have a 08

jei3us

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I bought my hemi at 107k I'm at 143k only issue I've had was my water pump kept breaking due to a bad clutch fan. I've gone to electric fan and no issues since. I've had a few sensors go bad to but that's typical with age things start to wear.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The wiring harness to the doors (especially the rear doors) get brittle and break up leaving the windows, speaker, door lock, or all of them not working. That is an easy fix with some splicing and new wire length.

The AC doors are also a very common issue and a PITA to do or get done. Some just condemn the recirculation door. There is a company called "heater treater" that has a simple solution that will outlast the vehicle, but again is still a PITA to install.

Don't get a 4.7L no matter what the mileage is. Unless they have been cared for by the book, and I do mean "By The Book", they will not give you a good experience.

+1 on getting a good trusted mechanic to take a look at the ride you are looking to buy.

Once you get it post some pics of the rig. We like to admire other's ride...

Good luck with your purchase.