Buying used with a leaking rear main seal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyjova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

I am in the exhausting process of looking for a new used truck to buy. I have come down to one that fits everything I am looking for just about perfectly, it is a 2012 1500 5.7 with 50,000 miles. However, on the dealer inspection report it states that there is a rear main seal leak, and after getting underneath and taking a look, there does seem to be a pretty good leak coming from it. The dealer did quite a bit of work to the truck, including replacing a couple manifold bolts that had broken off into the head. When I asked if the seal is something they would also replace, the salesman I was working with said that they always do repairs that have to do with safety of the vehicle, but he would get in touch with his service manager to see if the seal is work they could also do. Is this something that I should push for and not buy the truck unless they change the seal? How rare is it to have this seal start to leak on a truck that has relatively low miles at 50,000? If I don't get it repaired before purchase, how much would I expect to pay to have it done, or is this something I could do myself? I've changed rear main seals before on jeeps, but those are a pretty simple job only requiring you drop the oil pan. I appreciate any and all info you can give me!!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Whether or not they will do it as part of the deal depends on what they sell it for and what their margin will be on the sale.

I suspect that the cost of replacing the seal may be added to the purchase price of the truck.

Depending on shop rates in your area, the work could cost somewhere between $800 to $1100.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Rear main is a big job, but then again I had one leak for 11 years and didn't bother to change it. Depends how much you are losing.

OP
OP
T

Tyjova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the inspection form they claim that it is a “class 2” leak. I’ve seen worse leaks for sure, but of course spending that much on a vehicle I’d rather not have to start by having a $1000 repair. It is listed at 23,749 now and at one of those “no haggle” dealers so that was my concern with trying to account for the repair cost.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
offer what you think the vehicle is worth, all they can do is say no. tell us more model and extras.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No haggle? Bah! They'll haggle if they see a deal walking out the door.

If the vehicle has a defect they need to address it and make a deal that works for the buyer.

Saying "No" is not something they want to hear and they will work with you.

OP
OP
T

Tyjova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
offer what you think the vehicle is worth, all they can do is say no. tell us more model and extras.

It actually was a bit higher priced and I just straight up told them that it was over budget for me and they said sorry we are no haggle. Come to find out the very next day they drop the advertised price by almost $1000, so obviously they have room for negotiation even when they claim there isn't. The truck is a 2012 1500 with 50,000 miles. Pretty standard as far as options are concerned, but it does have what I think is the 4 inch lift by rough country, upgraded wheels, and 315/70/70 tires that are nearly new in shape. Obviously a dealer will try to put a premium on those types of upgrades.

NoMPG2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the NADA and kelly for the value of the truck. Regardless if it has anything upgraded that is not a factory option the truck, in my opinion, might be worth slightly more then what it books at. Not unless they are the one that put all the aftermarket options on it. When getting a loan the bank will not care if it has aftermarket parts. They will go off what the truck is actually worth.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is 1,000's of dollars in that truck for them. Trade in book in very good condition is 19k for a slt, but they never pay that, they pay good condition if you are lucky, they likely paid 16 grand for that truck. For comparison you can get a ram 3500 cummins for that price same year, and many rams in our local cl same year are like 12 grand. You can get brand new 2018's rams with the 8 speed for 25k, I don't know why you want to over pay for someones garbage with a thousand dollar repair looming that you know of and with someone who doesn't want to negotiate, gl Burla

last note, shop around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tyjova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is 1,000's of dollars in that truck for them. Trade in book in very good condition is 19k for a slt, but they never pay that, they pay good condition if you are lucky, they likely paid 16 grand for that truck. For comparison you can get a ram 3500 cummins for that price same year, and many rams in our local cl same year are like 12 grand. You can get brand new 2018's rams with the 8 speed for 25k, I don't know why you want to over pay for someones garbage with a thousand dollar repair looming that you know of and with someone who doesn't want to negotiate, gl Burla

last note, shop around.

I completely agree! I am in no hurry at all to get something, so I think my best option is to come in with the blue book values, offer what I think it's worth and thats the end of it. I just wasn't totally sure how much of an issue the seal would be, or if it going bad relatively early was a sign of other issues. I appreciate all your helpful info!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is another thing, rear main seal leak is very rare, I believe this is the first one I have heard of. The usual culprit is when they drop the tranny and don't put in a new seal. But you don't even know what caused this, maybe he was wheeling and landed on a rock or something. I can't say how far out of bounds the price is unless we know the model, if it is a Laramie or some other higher end models those start at 50gs, but if it is a tradesman or an st then they are flossing you. Do you have a link to the truck online?

OP
OP
T

Tyjova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is another thing, rear main seal leak is very rare, I believe this is the first one I have heard of. The usual culprit is when they drop the tranny and don't put in a new seal. But you don't even know what caused this, maybe he was wheeling and landed on a rock or something. I can't say how far out of bounds the price is unless we know the model, if it is a Laramie or some other higher end models those start at 50gs, but if it is a tradesman or an st then they are flossing you. Do you have a link to the truck online?

Makes sense! It is an SLT: https://www.echopark.com/used/Ram/2012-Ram-1500-6ad679110a0e0adf2031c6869916fc2e.htm#&gid=1&pid=41

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One of the best upgrades to Ram came in 2014, it is the zf 8 speed transmission. Even if you spend a little more, imo it is well worth it. I like this truck a lot, I have a 2010 slt, but the one thing I hate about it is the 6 speed with 3.55' gearing. Now that the 2014's are 4 years old and that they have the next gen out, I bet you will start seeing some good deals if you are patient. The 8 speeds have way better mileage and performance.

btw, I have a 2010 rcsb slt 4x4 and I paid 24k for the truck brand new msrp 34k.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I found this 2017 express crew cab Hemi 8 speed in about 3 minutes. 30,000 new about a $6300.00 difference , no wondering how it was treated in the first 50,000 miles. Better interest rate, no leaks, worth more when its paid for, full warranty. For me the answer is buy new. I'm not paying 3/4 the price of new for a 5 year old half worn out leaking truck with no warranty.
https://www.northolmstedcjdr.com/ne...EXPRESS+CREW+CAB+4X4+57+BOX-3C6RR7KT8HG777361

Last edited: