Bypass Hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramman54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Starting off-I have had older 318's and 360's. Changing a bypass hose was a 10 to 15 minute job in itself and usually changed out along with all the other hoses. Then came the Magnums with a serpentine belt systems. So now to my question;
2001 ram 1500 quad cab, 4x4, 5.9/360, auto 183K mi. It seems that the bypass hose is always blowing out and it doesn't seem to matter if it was a $5 hose or the $10 hose such as the last one which lasted about 5 weeks. although the cheaper hoses did seem to last longer. Being disabled, I have to work on it 1 to 1 1/2 hr at a time and it took me a week last time. But to be fair, I also changed the heater & radiator hoses again. New clamps and rubber protectent also done. Removing the belt, alternator, a/c compressor and mount just to see the hose is quite a pain. Does anyone know of any shortcuts or have any tips for me? Every hose I've replaced (this was # 6 ), except this one, has been a little flat on top and that is also where it splits open. TIA!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
My question is why are you blowing hoses. My old engine had the original hose, and I suspect the hose on my new engine was original too. There is no 'easy' way to remove the bypass hose, but you dont need to remove the alternator, A/C compressor and the bracket. Just pull the belt off the A/C compressor, unplug the two connectors from it (high side pressure switch and compressor clutch connector), then remove the 4 bolts holding it down (the front bolt closest to the passenger side needs to be done with a box wrench or really low profile ratchet as the A/C lines are right above it) then remove the one bolt for the rear triangular A/C bracket. Once those are off, pickup the A/C compressor and flip it over by the passenger wheel well.

From there you should be able to get some channel locks onto the spring hose clamps and move them out of the way. From there its just working in a slightly cramped environment (relative to other things in the engine bay. Its easy compared to an alternator on an olds silhouette)

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can remove the belt and then tyke alternator and ac compressor you can disconnect the electronics and just swing the whole bracket to the side without removing the accessories from it.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
+1 to that

Just unbolting the bracket is another way to do it. 7 bolts on the front I think.