Cabin Filter - Worth It? Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 17 1500 has one. Glad it does, these things do collect a lot of crap good mod if you don’t already have it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 17 1500 has one. Glad it does, these things do collect a lot of crap good mod if you don’t already have it.

Is youres an express?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang, hopefully it's not something they just put on the more deluxe models. I was surprised that my old Journey had one because it was just an SE. Maybe I'll luck out again.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dang, hopefully it's not something they just put on the more deluxe models. I was surprised that my old Journey had one because it was just an SE. Maybe I'll luck out again.

Take a look...my 08 caliber se (pretty basic model) had it. My sisters 11 avenger also has one. For some reason Dodge took a while to put them in the rams

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I got it done with an oil change for 100 bucks. Just google Mopar coupons typically 20% off service or items hehehe.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got it done with an oil change for 100 bucks. Just google Mopar coupons typically 20% off service or items hehehe.
Got the filter changed or got the kit installed? So far the only filter I've found listed other than possibly Mopar, haven't looked at that yet, is a Fram filter that is charcoal and febreeze I think, some odor killing stuff anyways. $41.95

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Got the filter changed or got the kit installed? So far the only filter I've found listed other than possibly Mopar, haven't looked at that yet, is a Fram filter that is charcoal and febreeze I think, some odor killing stuff anyways. $41.95

I remember now,

I got the kit installed and oil change. I just bought the parts off I believe Amazon or Ebay and brought it in. Covered under warranty :). The reason I didn't want to do it was A. Void Warranty. B Accidently have plastic falls backwards into the system.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take a look...my 08 caliber se (pretty basic model) had it. My sisters 11 avenger also has one. For some reason Dodge took a while to put them in the rams

To save money & increase profits.......I been saying it for years, but I need to do it on my 2012...I am tired of seeing the dirt on the dash & everywhere else....I have even had spider webs on the inside from them getting in thru the vent.

I don't drive it much, but when I do, I don't want to have to clean it 1st.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To save money & increase profits.......I been saying it for years, but I need to do it on my 2012...I am tired of seeing the dirt on the dash & everywhere else....I have even had spider webs on the inside from them getting in thru the vent.

I don't drive it much, but when I do, I don't want to have to clean it 1st.

Yeah that makes sense. I always wished my 03 Ram had one too. Used to blow crap around sometimes. Last few years I had it, it started to develop that musty mildew smell. It would come back eventually after cleaning it.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it ain't raining the next day or 2 I'll check it out and see what I'm working with. Thanks everyone for you're input. [emoji106]

subkron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In addition to the Mopar and Fram filters the Purolater C25869 (cabin air filter) fits as well.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can rodents climb into the HVAC box through an outside opening? I have another vehicle which had an open hole under the cowl cover that was basically 'open'. If so, does the Ram filter have a metal screen or anything to help keep them out?

jeffstoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, saw that. Trying to get a feel for whether people like it. Part of me is like RAM didn’t make it OEM, don’t need it. Then I “flip” and think I want it.

Can’t make mind up. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Older Rams had a wire screen that fills up with crap and is not made for customer access My SUV has a cabin filter, that I can change, that fills up with crap. What makes you think that the guys at Mopar are geniuses. Maybe they were just cheap or indifferent. From 2009 on there is a GENUINE MOPAR FACTORY OEM kit to retrofit a cabin air filter. If you are hooked on OEM parts, go for it. There is no down side beyond the few bucks it costs. My O7 does not have a filter kit available. I wish it did.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

H8Train

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did it last fall on my 14. It for sure reduced the amount of dust and crap on the dash.

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Spoke with a technician. He suggested that it may reduce output from air/heat. I don’t think that there is enough output of cool air anyway.

Thoughts?

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Norton and 3M, I know where it's supposed to be and how to change it, just didn't know if it was there or not. I've checked on the computer at work and they don't have a filter listed for the 17 so I hope if it's there I can get a part number off of it and cross reference. Thanks again.

I found a part number on Fram's filter lookup page, it's cf11671 if I have factory installed filter. Now just have to go see if I have one or not.
I use STP #CAF1845P , Autozone has them about $10

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spoke with a technician. He suggested that it may reduce output from air/heat. I don’t think that there is enough output of cool air anyway.

Thoughts?

I have noticed no reduction in output, I live in Florida and would notice a change with my a/c.

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thoughts?

I can attest to this. I have a 14 that I retrod the filter in. Drastically reduced air flow from the fan during AC operations. I had to have my 7 speed fan cranked on high all the time. Where as without it, once I cooled off I could back the fan speed down to 5 or 4. Took it out and have not put it back.